Star Trek (DIS): Despite Yourself

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Star Trek (DIS): Despite Yourself

Post by Karha of Honor »

TrueMetis wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:41 pm
Admiral X wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:23 am Now you're coming off as paranoid. I wonder, if it were a hetro couple that they happened to kill half of, would you care? I mean, if shows create LGBTQ doubleplus good characters are they going to have to be careful nothing bad ever happens to them? Because that's kind of a drama killer right there.
There's literally a trope named after the really shitty and sexist way that's done. Women in refrigerators man. This is nothing more than an extension of that lazy bullshit.
clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:35 am Worf, I have to agree with Admiral: you are inferring so much about their motives here and really are coming off as just a wee bit paranoid. 2018 has some of the most homosexual friendly television, books, movies and videogames in human history. Point to me some other time where we have had so much sexual diversity in our media (as forced as so many of us may think it is).

And if I may say so, the idea that straight white men would automatically resort to killing off the gay characters is heterophobic. I don't care if the word does not exist, I am coining it to describe this kind of negative view that we just would not accept if talking about any other demographic.
Just quickly 2018 being more sexually diverse than most means very little inofitself, as you can say that about basically every year for the past 200 years. Moreover being diverse does not by itself imply that the diversity is done well, eg Steven Universe still has a metric shit ton of problems despite some good examples of LGBT relationships. And if someone brings those problems up just saying "but diversity" doesn't actually solve anything.

And if I may say so, if you come a conclusion about the show creators based on the shit they do in the show that's not at all a condemnation of those people's demographic. Honestly I've no idea how you looked at worffan101's criticism of specific people and decided that this then applied to an entire demographic.