Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ORCACommander
Officer

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by ORCACommander »

I was always under the impression that each one of the rim worlds that fought against the alliance did so as a mutual defense pact but were each sovereign
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Star Wars

Alderaan was the beginning of the end for the Galactic Empire. Tarkin, ironically, got his wish, terrified many worlds throughout the galaxy felt the Empire had to be stopped before it came for them next.

By the start Return of the Jedi the tide had already turned against the Empire. Endor was like the Battle of the Bulge, a last desperate attempt to turn things around for a dying empire. I mean seriously, how far gone do things have to be when the Emperor himself is on the front lines?
TheBritGit
Redshirt

Post by TheBritGit »

Doctor Who

One I adopted from StuBagFul's review of Hell Bent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnBlCZUO0go

The reason Clara is such a bland personality void waste is because all of Series 7b to 9 was 12 narrating his past adventures to Clara in that diner... Narrating about a companion he cannot remember!
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Megabob452 wrote:My biggest headcanon is with legend of korra's spirits and their motivations. The whole "we'd be no better than Kuvira" nonsense was just a convenient lie to justify noninterference. That way they could sit back and watch those pesky humans wipe each other out, then move in on the physical world once the dust settles. Whatever is left of humanity becomes easy pickings for the spirits, exterminated in retribution for Avatar Wan driving them out of the physical world in ancient times. The scene just before the end where Tenzin proclaims the return of spirits as a good thing, actually the beginning of a spirit invasion.
Yeah that seemed kind of a weak excuse. She is not the same as Kuvira because she is asking for their help. She is not forcing them into it. I could understand them not wanting to get involved if the worlds were still separate but come on! You want to live in this world then you get to be involved with it whether you want to be or not.

I wondered if Korra was going to stop the giant mecha by closing the spirit portals and thus cutting off the power, or something.

Speaking of The Legend of Korra...

Lin's Father

Toph got her heart broken, and broken bad. They met, fooled around, messed around, fell in love. Toph was ready to spend her life with him but he saw her as a nice piece of tail. He left Republic City to pursue his career, Toph was devastated but she managed to work her way through it until she discovered she was pregnant with his child. She never told him about his daughter because she did not want him in her life after he broke her heart. Years later, after she had grown old, she realized that it might have been a mistake.

Zhu Li's Plan

Zhu Li joined Kuvira hoping to assassinate her. Her plan was to get Kuvira close to the cannon then sabotage it so that it would exploded when fired killing everyone around for hundreds of meters.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Mass Effect

If you chose Anderson as Councilor: Anderson is still Councilor in ME3, because good tie-in authors don't override main-game player choices just to facilitate their own little flights of fancy. He was on Earth as the Council's representative for Shep's hearing, and once he got stuck there Udina was made acting Councilor. (Also, Anderson was posthumously granted Spectre rank and added to whatever memorial they have for Spectres who gave their lives in performance of their duties, because I want to give him a hug.)

(I spent several years on the Cerberus Daily News roleplaying forum, so I've got literally a mental tonne of headcanon built up from that.)
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Contra/Mass Effect

The guns in Contra are early versions of the guns from ME1 (Limited bullets fired at once because of overheating, can blow away tanks with machine gun, etc.) On one hand, it's a total Voodoo Shark, on the other, it let's Shepard have a spread gun, which is too cool not to have.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Star Trek, by way of this post of mine, because my brain doesn't know how to let go of a tangent and if I don't write it down it'll just keep getting more elaborate in my head...

So the reason Starfleet sent 40 ships to Wolf 359 and the Borg only destroyed 39 is that the last one was a science ship that the Borg ignored because it wasn't firing, Starfleet just brought it along to provide minute-by-minute scientific analysis because they were desperate and didn't have time to send messages off to the Daystrom Institute's subspace voicemail and wait for a reply because it's 3am on Rigel. And as well as all the teams frantically trying to come up with new ways to enhance the shields or boost phaser power, they've got one team tasked with figuring out anything they can about a collective consciousness that might be useful somehow - you never know, anything could help. So there's this one science lab with a couple of humans, a Vulcan, a Betazoid who's actually just Admiral Hanson's masseuse but they couldn't find a psychologist so they figured near enough, they haven't slept since they got pulled out of their bunks thirty hours ago and told to report to the ship and start working, they ran out of good ideas hours ago, and now they're just replicating mug after mug of raktajino and thinking out loud while the battle's raging around them, except the Betazoid who's looking out the window and wondering if she still has a job because she's pretty sure she just saw Hanson's flagship explode, and one of the humans says "Okay okay, what if, like, to them, we're all like, we've got bear traps on our nuts, or something, right? You get what I mean?" and the Vulcan looks up from trying to figure out what the blinky neon tube thing in the corner of the lab does and says "I do not see the relevance of this line of speculation, but continue," while half of USS Buran goes cartwheeling past outside.

So that's headcanon I'm now stuck with.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

MissKittyFantastico, that is a beautiful Wolf 359 headcanon.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Star Trek

The Federation has money, Earth and most humans don't. It's why Quark accepts Starfleet and other Federation customers without kicking them out of his bar, as well as how the UFP is able to trade with other Alpha Quadrant nations.

Bioshock: Infinite

Elizabeth didn't really care for anything but revenge after being tortured. As someone who could see and manipulate all the realities, she could have made it to where Comstock ended up doing missionary work in Africa or something while she and Jack enjoyed pastries in Paris.

Her refusal to enjoy what she had and pick a happy ending is her fault, and her blind rage and bloodlust cost her her only friend and eventually(spoilers for the DLCs) her life.
Nessus
Officer

Post by Nessus »

Star Trek

Wolf 359 was a golden opportunity for someone looking to launder a StarFleet ship for shady purposes. In a normal battle, destroyed ships would still be identifiable via component serial numbers or molecular or radiological tags in the debris. With Wolf 359 though, a ship listed as having been at the battle, but not IDd in the wreckage could be written off as assimilated. I like to imagine that somewhere in Federation space there's a secret asteroid dock containing a perfectly good Excelsior with the registry filed off, stored for future use by Section 31 or some rogue admiral.

Speaking of Section 31: I imagine the all-black outfit agent Sloan wears is really the 24th century equivalent of a MIB/G-man suit (i.e. a severe but nondescript black version of a common civilian formal outfit). I only mention this because I've seen this occasionally referred to as a Section 31 uniform by fans, despite the very idea of a Section 31 uniform making zero sense.

Alien franchise

Not my own idea, but fan theory I read online back in the 90's and liked because of the extra strangeness it adds:

Facehuggers don't actually implant eggs or embryos in their victims. They perform a gene therapy-like process, altering the victim's DNA so the chestburster grows from his/her own tissue like a malignant extra organ. This is why the resulting Aliens have physical traits derived from the host, and explains how a chestburster could be acquired by cloning the host.

It also syncs up waaayyyy too perfectly with what we see in Prometheus, to the point where I'd be extremely surprised if the writers weren't using it.

Predator franchise

Predator culture isn't a tribal "planet of hats" where everything revolves around the hunt. They have their own diverse civilization. The hunt is basically a religious pilgrimage. A devout follower of a specific faith might, two or three times in their lifetime, take a leave of absence to fly off to some outback world where they can spend a week or two stalking/fighting the most dangerous thing they can find while wearing ceremonial loincloth "armor" and armed with ceremonial weapons. Some go solo, some go in "church bus" groups led by a priest.

I they survive, they fly back home, put the skulls they won in some little shrine, change back into their normal clothes, and go back to their life as an engineer or chef or lawyer or whatever.

Also I feel like I gotta pull a "no true Scotsman" on fans who refers to them as "Yautja". Anyone who's actually watched the movies (so ESPECIALLY a fan) should have noticed that their language is those woodpecker clicking sounds. Whatever their own name for themselves is, it's made of those sounds. The "Yautja" thing was (along with the tribal hunter hat thing*) invented by one of the lazier novel writers at Dark Horse Comics.

*I can't be the only person who noticed that the Hirogen on ST: Voyager are a wall-to-wall plagiarism of the Dark-Horse Predator lore, can I? Not only did they copy the (IMO nonsense) culture in it's entirety, but also some recognizable visual design stuff as well. Someone on the production staff was getting their fanfic on, and hoping no-one would notice.
Last edited by Nessus on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.