STD: What's Past is Prologue

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by Karha of Honor »

Sir Will wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 pm These reviews make my brain hurt. What is with this show...?
A big old behind the scenes chaos.
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 pm Is it paranoid to think this series might be revenge on Chuck for some particularly hard-hitting Voyager / Enterprise reviews?
It compensates for it's stupid with having our first not silly looking phaser battles in serialized form and way better fight choerography than the other series.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

FlynnTaggart wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 pm I probably wouldn't have minded Georgiou being nabbed by Micheal if they had better explained it as a lesser of two evils in the current moment situation and for the data she might have. Georgiou is an evil monster but not one with a stake in the alleged Prime universe, she apparently didn't give a damn about the Federation beyond locking up all the data so it didn't cause any problems. Lorca is someone who has vast ambitions and intimate knowledge of the Federation, indeed the entire Discovery crew. He doesn't seem the type to stop at just taking the big chair, he'd probably set his sights on the Federation and would destroy or capture Discovery to help keep his secrets from the Federation so he might be able to take it over from within.

If he showed up with the Charon after the 6 months of the Federation getting the assed kicked, made some BS story of it being what he's been working on during that time, the war weary Starfleet would probably fall in line behind him. Desperation makes people do foolish things and a war that even the Minbari would be envious of would certainly make people desperate. Stopping Lorca before he can go all multiverse tyrant makes sense, as does destroying the Charon so nobody can play multiverse Emperor either makes sense too, far more then "its gonna splode the universe because spores".

Taking Georgiou into custody because of her knowledge of the seemingly more advanced Terran Empire and her defeat of the Klingons also makes far more sense then Micheal's mommy issues. If I recall thats pretty much what they tried to do later, use her knowledge as a weapon. I'm not sure because mostly all I recall is double Klingons dicks because apparently Discovery was written by Rule 34.
So many lore retcons bother me about STD, but the multiple penis implication really irks me, because you just know for a fact that Jadzia would have alluded to it at some point given how her personality functioned. Different era and different censorship laws true, but remember the Voyager episode where Harry starts glowing after having sex with a woman? They had no problem there pointing out that she did not have the downstairs equipment that a human woman does there. And that goes double for the fact that every time we see a Klingon woman in the franchise she is either humping someone or talking about humping someone (one even thought that Neelix was a catch) and this NEVER came up? And what use would two penises be anyway? Why would that evolve?
Not buying it.
*Cue Chuck's voice* ''Welcome to the parallel universe that is Star Trek Discovery''
Kilroy
Redshirt

Post by Kilroy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 pm
So many lore retcons bother me about STD, but the multiple penis implication really irks me, because you just know for a fact that Jadzia would have alluded to it at some point given how her personality functioned. Different era and different censorship laws true, but remember the Voyager episode where Harry starts glowing after having sex with a woman? They had no problem there pointing out that she did not have the downstairs equipment that a human woman does there. And that goes double for the fact that every time we see a Klingon woman in the franchise she is either humping someone or talking about humping someone (one even thought that Neelix was a catch) and this NEVER came up? And what use would two penises be anyway? Why would that evolve?
Not buying it.
*Cue Chuck's voice* ''Welcome to the parallel universe that is Star Trek Discovery''

In theory it could be an evolutionary leftover that's not longer useful, but was significant previously in the evolution of the species, and doesn't significantly impact an individual's fitness to the point where losing it is significantly favoured. There's a lot of stuff like that in nature, where it's less a case of "This is beneficial" and more "This doesn't hurt me so there's no pressure to change it!"

For Earth animals with rather odd genitals, look at Echidnas, snakes and lizards (and ducks, though that's less on topic).

Following link is obviously NSFW and contains reptile penis, but the functionality explains potential uses of said odd layout:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemipenis

So there are certainly lots of potential reasons.

However, and much more importantly, as you pointed out, SOMEONE would have mentioned it, and also, it adds literally nothing of use to the canon and makes conversations and whatnot that occurred in the past weird.
Last edited by Kilroy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 pm
FlynnTaggart wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 pm I probably wouldn't have minded Georgiou being nabbed by Micheal if they had better explained it as a lesser of two evils in the current moment situation and for the data she might have. Georgiou is an evil monster but not one with a stake in the alleged Prime universe, she apparently didn't give a damn about the Federation beyond locking up all the data so it didn't cause any problems. Lorca is someone who has vast ambitions and intimate knowledge of the Federation, indeed the entire Discovery crew. He doesn't seem the type to stop at just taking the big chair, he'd probably set his sights on the Federation and would destroy or capture Discovery to help keep his secrets from the Federation so he might be able to take it over from within.

If he showed up with the Charon after the 6 months of the Federation getting the assed kicked, made some BS story of it being what he's been working on during that time, the war weary Starfleet would probably fall in line behind him. Desperation makes people do foolish things and a war that even the Minbari would be envious of would certainly make people desperate. Stopping Lorca before he can go all multiverse tyrant makes sense, as does destroying the Charon so nobody can play multiverse Emperor either makes sense too, far more then "its gonna splode the universe because spores".

Taking Georgiou into custody because of her knowledge of the seemingly more advanced Terran Empire and her defeat of the Klingons also makes far more sense then Micheal's mommy issues. If I recall thats pretty much what they tried to do later, use her knowledge as a weapon. I'm not sure because mostly all I recall is double Klingons dicks because apparently Discovery was written by Rule 34.
Not buying it.
Its probably one of the most stupid things on a show full of stupid things. Like you said, there is nothing even giving any hint whatsoever that they were built downstairs like that and considering Klingon libido has been a topic that has came up more the once somebody might have mentioned it. The poor Klingons, whatever happened to make them not look like weird 4 nostril'd freaks must have made them lose one of their members.

Yeah I don't even know the point of it beyond playing to some writers fucked up sci-fi fantasies like the Klingon boobies. This "more mature" show comes off as juvenile as all hell with alien naughty bits, evil bisexuals, cursing and turning a comedy character into some dark and moody murderer. I'm surprised the Klingons lady we saw naked to add some titillation during a rape scene didn't have 3 or 4 boobs.

Maybe acting something like the swelly bit of a dog's dingus, two bits help to keep them in during the notoriously wild Klingon bedroom antics? Could be why Klingon women show interest in men of other races as they don't like getting things stuck in their backdoor. Maybe Klingon women have two wombs, evolved to carry twins to have a better shot at offspring surviving? I would think maybe they had two because one is purely for making water and the other is for makin' babies like how on a women the urethra and vaginal opening are separate but there were two streams. I dunno, just something some writer thought was hot I guess.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

AlucardNoir wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:47 pm No, no, no Chuck. You missed the whole point. Lorca was a white man, of course he was evil and had to be stopped and killed. Of course his fixation on Micheal was a bad thing. But Micheal's fixation on Georgiou? perfectly fine, she's a black woman, she can do no wrong. Georgiou committing mass genocide and endangering the whole multiverse? water under the proverbial bridge.

I mean, what did you expect? that Starfleet immediately detain the former ruler of a racist, xenophobic alternate universe Terran empire? that they maybe not hand her a rank and then let her leave as if nothing had happened? It's not like she was privy to all scientific discoveries of a parallel evil fascist empire and as such letting her go might be a very bad idea. I'ts not like she had previously been in command of a ship that could have exterminated all life in the multiverse.
That's a good summary of the writers' transparently shallow attempt to pander to millennial viewers without actually bothering to think about the characters themselves. It's like the writers of this show stepped out of a paranoid alt-right conspiracy theorists's mad rambling stereotypes of cartoon liberals, for crying out loud, only they did it out of shameless pandering greed.
Sir Will wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 pm Unless the next episode is widely considered complete crap, even for Discovery, then probably not. I wonder which other show it could be this time.
I am close friends with a guy who paid for Chuck to review the rape episode of "The Orville". That one has a good chance of being the special.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:20 amI am close friends with a guy who paid for Chuck to review the rape episode of "The Orville". That one has a good chance of being the special.
Uurgh.

As a whole, I really quite liked Orville - despite the humour being a bit hit and miss, I found more the former than the latter generally. (I mean, I watched all of that show whereas the reviews Chuck of of STD is enough for me.) But that episode...

I have likened Orville to what would happen is you took a group of roleplayers playing a Star Trek inspired homebrew (that odd mix of genre-savvy and purile sillyiness), but if so, that episode was the session run by the DM's creepy uncle who doesn't know what social barriers are and who hopefully was never invited back.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Dare I want to know...?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

^ All you need to know is that The Orville had a "hilarious" "comedy" episode about date rape.

You don't want to know more than that, and you definitely don't want to watch the episode.

It rather impressively managed to beat out Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" for the title of worst episode of anything I've ever seen, ever.

I'd rather watch a DS9 Ferengi marathon with Neelix scenes special-editioned in than see that episode again.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... it... sounds... OMG... offensive on so many levels...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 am ^ All you need to know is that The Orville had a "hilarious" "comedy" episode about date rape.

You don't want to know more than that, and you definitely don't want to watch the episode.

It rather impressively managed to beat out Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" for the title of worst episode of anything I've ever seen, ever.

I'd rather watch a DS9 Ferengi marathon with Neelix scenes special-editioned in than see that episode again.
I was surprised that it wasn't written by Brannon Braga, it had the same rough concept as ENT: "Unexpected". Only with sex hormones.

What is it with Star Trek and creepy rape episodes?