STD: What's Past is Prologue

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by Deledrius »

Sir Will wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:02 am I feel bad but I did find that episode rather funny. Well, parts of it. And Rob Lowe is great. But, yeah, not a fan of letting her off the hook like that (real or implied) and... yeah, so rapey. The guy has not shame. Ugh, somebody on the Orville Reddit was actually defending him, like what he did was equivalent to really pretty people making others melt. My least favorite episode is the voting one I think.

Not sure if he'd jump ahead in the show like that though. Guess it depends if how many requested it. I hope we get another episode sometime soon. Maybe when Discovery is over.
I'll give them the tiniest sliver of a benefit of the doubt in that I think I see what they were aiming for, and it wasn't intended to make light of it, but most of it just doesn't land right and the funny parts are too awkward in context. In the end, it doesn't come down hard enough on what happened to make it worth the discomfort of the topic. I really don't care for that episode at all, even though I love the entire rest of the season. I think it was a substantial blunder in the first season, but thanks to it being a largely episodic show, one bad episode doesn't ruin everything else like keeps piling up on Discovery.
LordUltimus
Redshirt

Post by LordUltimus »

The rest of the Orville is good. I really hope Chuck saw more episodes before that one.

It's more fuel to my theory that no one in the entertainment industry actually understands how consent works.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 am ^ All you need to know is that The Orville had a "hilarious" "comedy" episode about date rape.

You don't want to know more than that, and you definitely don't want to watch the episode.

It rather impressively managed to beat out Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" for the title of worst episode of anything I've ever seen, ever.

I'd rather watch a DS9 Ferengi marathon with Neelix scenes special-editioned in than see that episode again.
Meh, the episode was mild, really mild. Frankly I don't understand how people that were offended by that episode make it on the internet, or in the real world. Worse of all are people like yourself with your "and you definitely don't want to watch the episode" mentality.

Seriously, you shouldn't be the one that gets to make that decision for other people. Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should be forced to watch that episode, or any other - the Orville is a mixed bag at the best of times, and Cupid's Dagger was far from it's best, but language like that gives the impression that your opinion is all that matters and that once you made up your mind, the world should just fallow. The people that made it thought it was worth watching, and enough people thought it was ok to keep viewing further episodes.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The "rapey" Orville episode is arguably worse than the Stargate: Atlantis episode "Irresistible" in this regard, and Chuck already heavily disapproved of that one. It was enough to make me feel uncomfortable, and I tend to roll my eyes at some accusations of consent issues, e.g. in Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" or "Baby It's Cold Outside" (the latter of which has been banned from at least one radio station).

I doubt it's a case of "hey, it's OK to do this" as much as "I didn't think of it like that." In the Batman and Harley Quinn movie, Harley straight-up rapes Robin (he's tied up), and it's done for comedy. Now she's about as sane as Papa Smurf is tall, but nobody seems to care.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I actually ended up leaving a community for a while over their refusal to see what happened to Trip in "Unexpected" as rape actually. After some arguing they just came right out and admitted that they don't see it as rape when a woman does it to a man.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

Aotrs Commander wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:38 pm *watches review*

There are not enough skulldesks in the world.
I would hope that the number of desks made out of skulls are quite low.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:55 pm
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:55 am ^ All you need to know is that The Orville had a "hilarious" "comedy" episode about date rape.

You don't want to know more than that, and you definitely don't want to watch the episode.

It rather impressively managed to beat out Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" for the title of worst episode of anything I've ever seen, ever.

I'd rather watch a DS9 Ferengi marathon with Neelix scenes special-editioned in than see that episode again.
Meh, the episode was mild, really mild. Frankly I don't understand how people that were offended by that episode make it on the internet, or in the real world. Worse of all are people like yourself with your "and you definitely don't want to watch the episode" mentality.

Seriously, you shouldn't be the one that gets to make that decision for other people. Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should be forced to watch that episode, or any other - the Orville is a mixed bag at the best of times, and Cupid's Dagger was far from it's best, but language like that gives the impression that your opinion is all that matters and that once you made up your mind, the world should just fallow. The people that made it thought it was worth watching, and enough people thought it was ok to keep viewing further episodes.
Dude, it's literally the Atlantis episode with the sex-drugs guy only that scumbag's cast as a sort-of good guy.

Seth McFarlane and the lady who plays the sociopathic murderous version of Wonder Woman (I think her name's Adrianne something?) in that one garbage TV pilot are drugged by the blue dude's sex hormones, and the blue dude KNOWINGLY used those same sex hormones to screw the latter when she was married to McFarlane. He straight-up roofied the woman to rape her, then does the same to her AGAIN and doses McFarlane too.

That's evil, man. Like, that makes the bitch from ENT: "Unexpected" look decent by comparison, that kind of evil. And it's treated as a joke.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

thisithis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:28 am Well, the point of all stupidly dumb decisions has finally come to Star trek proving that Star Trek: Discovery is the Stargate: Universe of bad tv shows. With Star Trek: Discovery you have Michael making one dumb ass decision after another, and Stargate: Universe you had a bunch of scientists thinking that they take on well-trained Marines in hand to hand combat. in Stargate: Universe we also had a Marine as a woman got kidnapped by aliens. if sfdebris ever reviews Stargate: Universe he'll probably have a contest on who is the stupidest with Star Trek: Discovery and Stargate: Universe ranking at the top.
Stargate Universe had a lot of problems to it. The characters were unlikeable, they made a lot of stupid decisions, it tried way too hard to be like Battlestar Galactica and not hard enough to be like Stargate, etc. etc. But its biggest sin was that it was boring. So, so boring. The plot moved at a snails pace and way too many episodes just felt like a bunch of people wandering around bickering with each other. If SFDebris ever does review its pilot, the most accurate review it could be given would just be a 90 minute audio file of Chuck snoring.
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:50 pm I doubt it's a case of "hey, it's OK to do this" as much as "I didn't think of it like that." In the Batman and Harley Quinn movie, Harley straight-up rapes Robin (he's tied up), and it's done for comedy. Now she's about as sane as Papa Smurf is tall, but nobody seems to care.
While that scene was very juvenile and the entire movie very immature, Nightwing did clearly consent. Actually, if she was as mentally ill as you claim, you could argue he was taking advantage of her.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 pm
AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Dude, it's literally the Atlantis episode with the sex-drugs guy only that scumbag's cast as a sort-of good guy.

Seth McFarlane and the lady who plays the sociopathic murderous version of Wonder Woman (I think her name's Adrianne something?) in that one garbage TV pilot are drugged by the blue dude's sex hormones, and the blue dude KNOWINGLY used those same sex hormones to screw the latter when she was married to McFarlane. He straight-up roofied the woman to rape her, then does the same to her AGAIN and doses McFarlane too.

That's evil, man. Like, that makes the bitch from ENT: "Unexpected" look decent by comparison, that kind of evil. And it's treated as a joke.
Reading the recap of this episode on TVTropes, there seems to be an argument as to whether his pheromone use was negligence as opposed to deliberate as this is the natural way his species mates and he was just too stupid to realise what he was doing was wrong in our eyes. If true then this changes the context completely. Like I say, never seen it, don't know. But looking at all points of view is important. It certainly doesn't sound worse than Unexpected on paper as she clearly knew full well what she was doing.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:40 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:50 pm I doubt it's a case of "hey, it's OK to do this" as much as "I didn't think of it like that." In the Batman and Harley Quinn movie, Harley straight-up rapes Robin (he's tied up), and it's done for comedy. Now she's about as sane as Papa Smurf is tall, but nobody seems to care.
While that scene was very juvenile and the entire movie very immature, Nightwing did clearly consent. Actually, if she was as mentally ill as you claim, you could argue he was taking advantage of her.
Did I miss the consent? He seemed uncertain then there was a scene cut and they'd done the deed, unless I missed something. He didn't seem to mind afterward, but I didn't see consent. And one could say that he took advantage of her but since she had him tied up at the time, that one wouldn't be me.