Star Trek: Into Darkness

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Megabeatman
Redshirt

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by Megabeatman »

SabreMau wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:04 pm By definition of being a Christmas show, I think it would be a 0. Annoying Character is probably won by Kirk, and a Burn, Baby, Burn trophy to the Vengeance.
Kirk would’ve also won Lazurus of the Week due to him being revived with Khan’s magic blood.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Worffan101 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:25 pm That was some pretty good analysis! Only real question I had was "where's the score?", lol.
He says Nemesis isn't as mindless... That should be the clue
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

You know, I get the feeling Chuck didn't like this movie. Its subtle but its there.

And really I can't blame him. As someone who enjoyed 09 and loved Beyond, Into Darkness was the hated middle child that deserved the dislike. It was creatively more bankrupt then even Disney Wars (and I could go on a long winded rant about how that from designs to tone is just hit copy paste on whatever Lucas made), remakes an excellent movie that didn't need remade and does it terribly, using a terribly cast actor that bordered on whitewashing.

I honestly cannot think of a single part of the movie I enjoyed, save maybe one that was out of place but a welcome relief in a juvenile way.

Sadly it seems like maybe Into Darkness pulled a Last Jedi/Solo in some ways, burning alot of viewers to the point they skipped Beyond resulting in a significantly lower box office. Can't comment whether Solo deserved it but Beyond certainly didn't deserve to take the fall for its predecessors mistakes.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

I always thought that Khan had stepped on Carol's mid section, not her leg. The implication of such being she and Kirk wouldn't have a son and Genesis wouldn't be made as well.

... Guess that was far too much thought for this film...
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Oh, so subtle, yes. I think the masterstroke of subtlety and misdirection was when Chuck called out Orci for being a fucking incompetent as well as an asshole and a crazy conspiracy theorist. XD

Frankly I'm surprised that Chuck didn't discuss the STD connection--namely, Alex Kurtzman.
Lizuka
Officer

Post by Lizuka »

One odd quirk of the movie I've always found kind of amusing is how changing timelines apparently removed Khan's full name, because only Nimoy Spock ever brings it up.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I enjoyed the music and Karl Urban's performance (the guy can convincingly play characters as divergent as Éomer, Dr. McCoy and Skurge, and I think his Judge Dredd performance was generally liked too). I know the cast aren't supposed to be doing imitations of the TOS characters. but I think I personally can't be satisfied with performances so different from the originals. Yes, I'm one of the few who don't like Pegg's Scotty. I might be the only one, actually. :) To me, Urban is the only one who seems like the TOS character they're playing.

I know Chuck doesn't score these by some general goodness/badness but relative to the series it's in, so I'm pretty sure Into Darkness would get a 0 for the Kelvinverse films so far. Kirk and the tribble, get Lazari of the week. And given the new lease on life, I expect great things from that tribble.

My score for Into Darkness would be negative 0. A nonsensical score (in most math) for a nonsensical movie. I'd rather watch Spock's Brain or The Alternative Factor any day. For that matter, I like Spock's Brain, just for reasons I can't really credit the episode for. I'd only put Dear Doctor and maybe Homeward as worse.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Megabeatman wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:01 pm
SabreMau wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:04 pm By definition of being a Christmas show, I think it would be a 0. Annoying Character is probably won by Kirk, and a Burn, Baby, Burn trophy to the Vengeance.
Kirk would’ve also won Lazurus of the Week due to him being revived with Khan’s magic blood.
Yeah, I was tired and forgot that. He'd also be a co-winner with the tribble.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

m4a2000 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:53 pm I always thought that Khan had stepped on Carol's mid section, not her leg. The implication of such being she and Kirk wouldn't have a son and Genesis wouldn't be made as well.

The Federation would have some shitty doctors then.
Lizuka
Officer

Post by Lizuka »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:11 pm
m4a2000 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:53 pm I always thought that Khan had stepped on Carol's mid section, not her leg. The implication of such being she and Kirk wouldn't have a son and Genesis wouldn't be made as well.

The Federation would have some shitty doctors then.
I mean, they think the heart's in the leg and react in shock to the idea of a headache so...