Star Trek: Into Darkness

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 am Which is part of why I think Beyond didn't do great.

The general audience didn't get what it was hoping for after two movies of the same stuff which had appealed to them.
I think that it worked much much stronger when they were adaptations of television series with people coming to see the cast.

The Abrams movies were playing heavily on nostalgia.

I feel like they needed a bigger hook for Beyond than "The next Quinto and Pine Star Trek." The fact they didn't introduce the Klingons or another classic element hurt its box office take. Also, dropping the Louise Marcus character was a mistake since it means any developments of the previous movies aren't important.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

I really didn't like what they did with Khan in that movie. Just the way the crew reacts to the revelation that Harrisson is really Khan. " My real name is... Khan!" "Who?" And then you have Kelvin Spock calling Prime Spock to know if he has ever heard of some guy named Khan... That's ridiculous. In the tv show, everyone knew exactly who Khan was. Scotty even said that he was his favorite tyrant, to Spock's dismay. He is known to be the main protagonist of the Eugenic Wars. It is as if today someone would say "Napoleon Bonaparte? Never heard of him."

And then there was Kirk"s sacrifice mirroring Spock's in WoK... My first reaction was "meh... did they really need to?" But what killed it for me was when Spock yelled "KHAAAAAAAN!" with all the Shatner ham Zachary Quinto could give. I laughed. I just couldn't help it, I laughed!

Pegg was great as Scotty though and I liked the chemistry between him and his sidekick. Karl Urban was still playing a solid McCoy. So it's not as if everything was bad. Still, it's the worst of the ST reboot movies. I much prefered Star Trek Beyond over Into Darkness.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 am Take it from me. I'm an old, loyal fan, and I haven't come back for STD, the reboot movies... I don't intend to come back for STG either. I haven't seen a single episode of those either. I haven't even seen SF Debris's episodes. What I know he's said comes from others.
Then by not watching Star Trek Beyond, you're missing out on one of the last good Trek titles to come out in a long time outside of the comics and novels.

And people complain about the lack of good recent installments in the Star Trek franchise.
Nikas Zekeval
Redshirt

Post by Nikas Zekeval »

BBally81 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:29 am
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 am Take it from me. I'm an old, loyal fan, and I haven't come back for STD, the reboot movies... I don't intend to come back for STG either. I haven't seen a single episode of those either. I haven't even seen SF Debris's episodes. What I know he's said comes from others.
Then by not watching Star Trek Beyond, you're missing out on one of the last good Trek titles to come out in a long time outside of the comics and novels.

And people complain about the lack of good recent installments in the Star Trek franchise.
Which proves the point being made here. STID só damaged the franchise’s reputation, particularly the Abrams branch, that it splashed Beyond. Trust was so damaged by STID that those fans were among the most skeptical of it before it even released. Add an ad campaign seemingly aimed to put off those most leery of another STID experience?

Once burned, twice shy. The trailers I saw implied nothing of what you are claiming about Beyond. And they and the previous two films were what I had to base a decision on. And it wasn’t enough to get me to risk the time to watch at all. Certainly not the money to see it in the theater, which determines if more get made.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Nikas Zekeval wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:18 am
BBally81 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:29 am

Which proves the point being made here. STID só damaged the franchise’s reputation, particularly the Abrams branch, that it splashed Beyond. Trust was so damaged by STID that those fans were among the most skeptical of it before it even released. Add an ad campaign seemingly aimed to put off those most leery of another STID experience?

Once burned, twice shy. The trailers I saw implied nothing of what you are claiming about Beyond. And they and the previous two films were what I had to base a decision on. And it wasn’t enough to get me to risk the time to watch at all. Certainly not the money to see it in the theater, which determines if more get made.
Well you should be skeptical about what trailers "claim," so to speak. Buzz for the movie was good as far as I can tell.
..What mirror universe?
Lizuka
Officer

Post by Lizuka »

I've never made the time for Beyond either honestly. I kind of meant to see it in the theater but I never actually got around to it and it's just not something I've ever actually been in the mood to watch in my own time.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:20 pm And was the camera staring at his undies? Actually physically focused on them? That's the point you are ignoring.
Yeah, I'm sure women only ever focus on that area and not on the chest or abs or anything like that.

As for padded uniforms, you know they padded the men's uniforms to make them look more muscular, right? You realize that the people who are attracted to men are looking at different attributes, right?
What about that man in the catsuit with the split down the middle showing his pecs?
Image Image

What about that whole crew who spent three seasons showing off their legs with splits down their chests showing their pecs... oh, no, wait... those weren't the male uniforms on TOS that were designed like that...
Funny you should take issue with that since, at the time, it was seen as an example of women's liberation.
What about that guy who was crawling through the air ducts to save the ship only to fall and lose his shirt on the way down... oh, no, wait... Hoshi is a woman.
You're talking about a show whose female fans I saw literally get into a dick measuring contest of Archer vs. Trip, both of whom had plenty of fan service scenes. Even Travis had a few of those. I think the only male main who didn't was Reed. There was plenty of fan service all around. Did you not notice? It was running joke at the time that we'd seen basically everyone in their underwear at one point or other thanks to the decon chamber.
Yeah. You've proven to me that women don't get a raw deal when it comes to being put in situations where we can leer at them. Good job. :roll:
And you've proven to me that you ignore everything that doesn't fit what you've already decided, and that you're probably a prude just for added bonus points.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:22 pm Honestly do you equate the context of the two scenes?
Are you seriously contending that Kirk in his underwear was not meant to titillate anyone? :lol:
Last edited by Admiral X on Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-TR
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Admiral X wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:18 amAre you seriously contending that Kirk in his underwear was not meant to titillate anyone? :lol:
Whether or not it is titillating doesn't fully satisfy the nature of the objectification.
..What mirror universe?
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 am Star Wars has a way more toxic fanbase than Trek though. Trek fanbase gets plenty of distraction in the way of actual science speculation.
By toxic do you just mean people not liking the movies? Because there are plenty of people who bash on the various parts of the Star Trek franchise, including people who insist that only the first two seasons of TOS and TMP count as the "true" Star Trek.
-TR