The Orville Marathon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: The Orville Marathon

Post by Durandal_1707 »

^ That's utterly perverse.

I wonder if he'll actually do it.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 pm I think STD and at least the first two Kelvinverse movies aren't aimed primarily at fans of TOS & TNG -- if I remember right, the guy playing Lorca said we'd watch it anyway, and even dared us not to. I think they want to build a new, younger audience. Naturally, canon isn't going to be as important when their intended target vaguely remember something about Captain Kirk seducing the Borg.

I think Orville is meant for fans of those series, by fans of those series, so naturally it has a better chance to appeal to people watching this site.

And it does a lot of things right, besides. I've heard from multiple reviewers how STD has been sparse in the characterization of anyone who isn't Michael, where the characters of Orville were established pretty well IMO.
Did Lorca's actor actually say that? Hey, at least we listened to him. Nobody's watching your crappy show mate, and with your attitude, i'm even less inclined to do so. Otherwise known as the Battlefield V effect.

Funny thing about this new audience they wanted though:it didn't work and they know it. Why do you think they are bringing back Spock and the 1701 in season 2? New fans don't care about either of these things, it is to try and bring back the established fans who have stuck up their fingers at this crap because they are the only ones who are likely to watch it. Thing is, we don't want a third fake Spock and we don't want your fake 1701 either. Thing looks like a cross between Abrams Enterprise and the Enterprise-C.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 pm
G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:40 pm One thing I wonder - did Seth MacFarlane get approval for his show through some sort of blackmail? That might explain why they let him have things that seem odd (like him playing the main character). Let's remember, he suggested that Kevin Spacey was... doing inappropriate things several years back, and his Oscar show poked at Harvey Weinstein. I wonder whether he knows a lot of secrets that he could reveal.
What I read was that they read from an exhaustive list of everything CBS deems off limits from a prior copyright case and just made star trek but without those specific things.
Those secrets are bigger than he is. He would be blackballed from the industry.
kingofmadcows
Redshirt

Post by kingofmadcows »

G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:40 pm One thing I wonder - did Seth MacFarlane get approval for his show through some sort of blackmail? That might explain why they let him have things that seem odd (like him playing the main character). Let's remember, he suggested that Kevin Spacey was... doing inappropriate things several years back, and his Oscar show poked at Harvey Weinstein. I wonder whether he knows a lot of secrets that he could reveal.
MacFarlane probably called in every favor he had to get Orville made. It is fantasy wish fulfillment almost on the level of a Will Smith produced Jaden Smith project.
bobbrom
Redshirt

Post by bobbrom »

I love the reviews and fact you released 8 in one day is amazing.

But what's with the reverb it sounds like you recorded them in a tin can :/
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

After hearing what's presumably The Orville's theme tune half a dozen times in a row, the thing that comes to mind is Eric Morecambe's line to André Previn; "all the right notes, not necessarily in the right order"; it's almost, but not quite, the original Trek theme. a few moments here and there send my brain off down that path. :)
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Wow that's a lot at once. I figured he'd release them over a week or something. But I guess he did have it marked as one specific day. I already saw 2-6 through early access so just have 7, 8, and 10 to get to.

I do think About a Girl was handled kinda poorly, with the Greyson's arguments being pretty weak or tangential to the issue. While not amazing or anything, I quite liked episodes 2, 4, 5, and 6. Thought the same of episode 1.

Episode 7 is actually my least favorite. The premise is good but, I don't know, Lamar's action is just so incredibly stupid that it sours me on the episode. If it was just the dance it'd be one thing. But he's horrible throughout. The plot outside of him is good though. I hope he gets better in his new role as he's probably been my least favorite character in season 1. Gordon is silly but has charms too and isn't quite as bad as Lamar was with the grinding.

Looking around, sounds like he may not have cared much for episode 8. While I found it dragged a little at times and a little predictable, I do think it was an effective character piece.

And 10... love the episode overall. My favorite of the season. The part before the reveal is just so excellent. Though, yeah, in reality she should be in big trouble for what she pulled. But I can overlook it. Moreso than, say, Sisko and his bio-weapons. That was too much for me to overlook and soured me on that episode.
Last edited by Sir Will on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:17 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 pm I think STD and at least the first two Kelvinverse movies aren't aimed primarily at fans of TOS & TNG -- if I remember right, the guy playing Lorca said we'd watch it anyway, and even dared us not to.
Did Lorca's actor actually say that? Hey, at least we listened to him. Nobody's watching your crappy show mate, and with your attitude, i'm even less inclined to do so. Otherwise known as the Battlefield V effect.
I checked, and yes, Jason Isaacs really said the "diehard" fans would watch it anyway, and really dared them not to. Only Mr. Isaacs knows if he's come to regret it since.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

He sounds worse than his character in The Patriot.
..What mirror universe?
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

Episode 5: Hearing Gordon scream just made me realize that is the guy who voices Steve Smith in 'American Dad'.