DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Apparently Neelix is an anti-Sue
Power laces... alright.
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pmAs for whether there will be third season really all comes down to how well the second season does, doesn't it?
Considering CBS now has a financial stake in the second season, which they didn't for the first season thanks to Netflix paying so much for the international rights... yeah, we'll see what happens.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

Okay, I just watched Chucks Review, right off the top of my head, I need to correct him about something.

When he quotes the X-men comic where he says Kitty Pryde retorted with the N word to a mutant racial slur, that never happened.

What DID happen was in God Loves, Man Kills, a kid in her dance class called her a mutant lover, and started a fist fight with her. When her black dance teacher interrupted and accused her of over-reacting, who also knows she's a mutant and is keeping her secret, she explodes saying "What if he had called me a N****R lover! Would you be so damn tolerant then?"

This was printed in 1981 by the way.

The teacher also ruminates that Kitty was right.

Sorry, as a life long x-men fan and someone that has all the stories from Phoenix Saga up to The Twelve collected, I had to step in and correct that.

Chuck is still awesome though.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I watched review and I agree that Michael is adorable but I just don't care. She was a very passive narrator accentuated with a vulcan demeanor. That being said, I would watch any other story she was involved with simply because I like her. I also loved Lorca. I didn't think about it much until now, but yeah he plays the long game. When I was watching the season I found him believable as a mirror universe insurgent, and it was actually an ohs hit moment for me. Of course they didn't do much with that except have him tortured and killed, but at least he made a great setup after the fact leading to nothing
Power laces... alright.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

I just saw the review and I agree that making Michael the Central character of the show was a mistake, but I think Michael was a character was a waste of time. If for some reason they remade this show and retold this show without Michael, the show would be better. Lorca and Tilly were the better characters. Tilly was fun to watch and what they did to Lorca was like watching Game Of Thrones if it was written by idiots. I liked Lorca's story against the Empress. But no save the Empress and kill Lorca. WHY??? She's the horrible human being, not Lorca. It would have been better if anyone besides Michael took command and figured out that letting Lorca do away with the Empress, ask him to destroy the ship and letting him know it was destroying both universes, and guess what Lorca would agree. And just let him retake command. Man these people art dumbasses.

I did hear sfdebris mention StarGate Universe. Mostly just lighting. So, he does know about SGU and how much it killed the StarGate franchise. SGU only had two seasons and I think Dis will follow. Does that mean he's may end up reviewing SGU? Because I think when he gets to the PE where the scientist fight the well armed and well trained Marines was one of the most boneheaded ideas ever put on TV or any show. Or at least one of the most one-sided fist fights ever.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

thisithis wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:14 am I just saw the review and I agree that making Michael the Central character of the show was a mistake, but I think Michael was a character was a waste of time. If for some reason they remade this show and retold this show without Michael, the show would be better. Lorca and Tilly were the better characters. Tilly was fun to watch and what they did to Lorca was like watching Game Of Thrones if it was written by idiots.
Game of Thrones is written by qoute unqoute idiots now.
Last edited by Karha of Honor on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Mikejjj wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 pm If you want a compressed version. [[vid]]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMyfI_WM7E[[vid]]

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2018/06/ ... -kurtzman/

Raw numbers the highest last reported number for CBS AA is Only around 2.5 Million https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/ ... ubscribers that sound like alot. but, nothing in comparison to Hulu with 54 million, 20 million in the states. VRV which has been around for Half as long CBS AA has 4 million which has a super niche market. but let's compare that to Discovery debut ratings which had 9.5 Million people watching it in Sep. 2017 best case only quarter people of the people who watched it subbed for Discovery. and you are not getting all those people watching it. CBS All access is more likely than not restricting Discovery chance at a wider market.
I was hoping someone would do better than Midnight’s Edge. Their comments about Netflix being unhappy because “Discovery does not adhere to Prime canon” sounds less credible and more like something they made up because it would play well to their audience. If Netflix is unhappy with Discovery I highly doubt it has anything to do with canon bullshit. Much like how they claim ENTERPRISE was cancelled just because the head of the studio hated Star Trek, rather than the obvious answer being deminishing returns (as we’ve seen ENT’s ratings fall drastically and never recover).

Granted, so much of their so called scoops have been labeled “rumors” under their own videos yet a lot of fans are using them as gospel. This is why I’d like to look for other sources that are less biased. It’s rather hard because ME has been the only ones making the claims.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

2.5 million just sounds like a lot. Not in the grand scheme of things, but just for Discovery alone, which is the most distinctive thing this service has to offer.

Really though, over 3 months that the season ran, that would make about 60 million dollars. Though considering the article was from August, considerably between both the streaming dates and today, it seems CBS is doing alright.
Power laces... alright.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am Game of Thrones is written by qoute unqoute idiots now.
Still telling better stories that DIS is.
Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 am I was hoping someone would do better than Midnight’s Edge. Their comments about Netflix being unhappy because “Discovery does not adhere to Prime canon” sounds less credible and more like something they made up because it would play well to their audience. If Netflix is unhappy with Discovery I highly doubt it has anything to do with canon bullshit. Much like how they claim ENTERPRISE was cancelled just because the head of the studio hated Star Trek, rather than the obvious answer being deminishing returns (as we’ve seen ENT’s ratings fall drastically and never recover).

Granted, so much of their so called scoops have been labeled “rumors” under their own videos yet a lot of fans are using them as gospel. This is why I’d like to look for other sources that are less biased. It’s rather hard because ME has been the only ones making the claims.
There may be some truth on what you say, but there still no excuse for bad writing. And treating your fans like crap, all because of a rival show The Orville as most EXs that used to work on all the old Star Trek shows or now on The Orville having better stories and writing.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

thisithis wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am Game of Thrones is written by qoute unqoute idiots now.
Still telling better stories that DIS is.
I would rather not rewatch the recent GOT seasons so i can reach a conclusion.