DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by Makeshift Python »

All I can say about the season 2 opener is that it's the most fun I've ever had watching DISCOVERY, a much needed calibration for the series after the very mixed first season. The tone is much more jovial and adventurous, which is what I was hoping for and what I want to have out of watching Star Trek. I'm looking forward to seeing how this season pans out.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm
Zoinksberg wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:14 pm During times of war Due Process is more of a "nice thought". Lincoln had a lot of people jailed for being Confederate sympathizers. When Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Roger Taney ruled that Lincoln could not suspend habeas corpus, Lincoln (allegedly) issued an arrest warrant for him, though it was never served. WWII, FDR allowed thousands of civilians to be detained because they looked like the enemy. And these are the actions of people we consider "the good guys".

A quick answer is that the Federation could pretty much do whatever they wanted. A more legally sound answer would be that this person is attempting to impersonate a Starfleet officer, which would be extremely illegal even in times of peace. She would have no way to defend this as she would continue claim to be Philippa Georgiou, who is deceased. As they already have someone else on the ship who has admitted to being a Klingon infiltrator (and a Klingon prisoner who corroborated that claim) it's not a difficult charge to make. Attempting the "I'm from an alternate universe" defense would not have gone over very well, I am thinking.

Claiming that crimes against humanity aren't crimes if you are the leader of a country does not work. But that never really came up and I don't think they were directly factoring that in to holding her.
The Federation is supposedly more evolved than 19th century America or even 20th century America.

Mirror Georgiou didn't try to impersonate Captain Georgiou until the admiral suggested it. She stated rather unequivocally that she wasn't a starfleet officer. 'There's not much of a case to be made there. The "I'm from another universe" defense works just fine when there's a ship filled with people who have been there.

"Crimes against humanity" would be impossible to prove. What evidence does the Federation have? They can't have a trial on this without revealing the existence of the mirror universe, which they explicitly don't want to do.

If Mirror Georgiou had declined to help, or ditched the group when she separated from Tilly, the Federation still would have wound up letting her go.
Is there a reason why they do not want to reveal the Mirror universe beyond ''it would muck up canon?'' The multiverse itself is known to be a thing after all.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Discovery made the crossover via spore drive tech, which is classified as far as I'm aware.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

As I said, involving the Mirror Universe prior to Kirk and then classifying it is just pure BS. It takes away from his pioneering moment. Even Enterprise handled the Mirror Universe better.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

There are people seriously defending the Emperor? Or at least saying she should be let go to go about her business? Seriously?
clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:58 pm
pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm If I may take a moment to talk about the actual episode...

The Federation offers Georgiou her freedom in exchange for doing this mission, and then for abandoning it. My question is: What legal right did the Federation have to hold her in the first place? She hadn't broken any Federation laws. As Emperor, the acts she committed in the Terran Empire weren't crimes. Even if they were crimes against the Empire, that's not under Federation jurisdiction and the Empire made no extradition request. It's one thing to restrict her movement on the ship, that's SOP for non-service members (especially foreign ones), it's something else to declare her a prisoner without due process.
Anyone who has been following this show behind the scenes knows that season 2 has been completely rewritten due to the negative backlash of season 1. Mirror Georgiou is the equivalent of the Temporal Cold War that Manny Coto had to deal with when he took over ENT - a dead idea that no longer has relevance.
The original idea for this character was not what you saw on screen in s2 ep1.
Aren't they making a whole series out of her? And there is no redeeming such a character.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm As I said, involving the Mirror Universe prior to Kirk and then classifying it is just pure BS. It takes away from his pioneering moment. Even Enterprise handled the Mirror Universe better.
It's really not that big of a deal. I didn't complain about Archer's scuffling with the Borg taking away from Picard's "pioneering moment". When I watched TOS' "Mirror, Mirror", I didn't come away thinking "oooh, that was a very pioneering moment for Kirk", I came away thinking it was just fun to see a darker universe with the crew being part of an evil empire.
abki
Redshirt

Post by abki »

pilight wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 pm If I may take a moment to talk about the actual episode...

The Federation offers Georgiou her freedom in exchange for doing this mission, and then for abandoning it. My question is: What legal right did the Federation have to hold her in the first place? She hadn't broken any Federation laws. As Emperor, the acts she committed in the Terran Empire weren't crimes. Even if they were crimes against the Empire, that's not under Federation jurisdiction and the Empire made no extradition request. It's one thing to restrict her movement on the ship, that's SOP for non-service members (especially foreign ones), it's something else to declare her a prisoner without due process.
Well, for building a multiverse-destroying kill-all-life-everywhere-o'matic 9000; maybe they could get her for "behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace" ;)
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Sir Will wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm There are people seriously defending the Emperor? Or at least saying she should be let go to go about her business? Seriously?
Not defending her as a good person, just saying the Federation's legal grounds for incarcerating her are shaky at best.

And, of course, in the end she was let go to go about her business...
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Sir Will wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm There are people seriously defending the Emperor? Or at least saying she should be let go to go about her business? Seriously?
clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Anyone who has been following this show behind the scenes knows that season 2 has been completely rewritten due to the negative backlash of season 1. Mirror Georgiou is the equivalent of the Temporal Cold War that Manny Coto had to deal with when he took over ENT - a dead idea that no longer has relevance.
The original idea for this character was not what you saw on screen in s2 ep1.
Aren't they making a whole series out of her? And there is no redeeming such a character.
Maybe they are, but then, the people behind the James Bond films thought that Halle Berry in Die Another Day was going to be such a breakout character that they were planning a spin off series. I sincerely expect we can file this in the same cabinet. (For those of you who do not watch those films, she is very much rated as a low tier Bond Girl by fans).
Makeshift Python
Captain

The reason the Jinx spin-off was cancelled wasn't because of fan reception but because MGM saw the low box office performances of female lead action films in 2003 (Lara Croft 2, Charlie's Angels 2, ect). This is why movies like Wonder Woman struggled for so many years to make it to the big screen because studios were convinced that female lad action films were not profitable.