Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

Post by Madner Kami »

tacomoney wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:32 pmWhy Go Nagai, what have i done to offend you??!!
You are praying to the wrong god, simple as that. Edward Ellis introduced the concept of a giant man-piloted man-like machine first, as far as we know. Arguably, HG Wells and Jules Verne may count as well, though their machines were the not particularly man-like TriPods and a piloted mechanical elephant respectively.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
tacomoney
Redshirt

Post by tacomoney »

So like a Jackass I made the topic without knowing about the delay regarding Sfdebris's son.

I say with full sincerity I did not know until just checking out the schedule topic, I apologize if my topic or response came off as insensitive and I wish him a full recovery.

In lighter writing , well Go Nagai is for sure the father of anime super robot mecha, the only other real option is the grim reaper himself Yoshiyuki Tomino ...or is he the death god of mecha?

Huh
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

tacomoney wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 amIn lighter writing , well Go Nagai is for sure the father of anime super robot mecha, the only other real option is the grim reaper himself Yoshiyuki Tomino ...or is he the death god of mecha?
Well, if you want to keep it strictly to anime, then yes, Go Nagai is your god. Why do you consider Tomino the death god though?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Yeah, this had to get pushed back, along with Zardoz. Losing time like this is a double whammy, because it's both a week of not working on the show, and a week of not working on Patreon, so I can't just slide the schedule back a week.

But I hope that you'll be happy with what does come out. I listed two weeks because one of my lessons from 2018 is "err on the side of caution" with the schedule. I have what I think is a feasible plan in place, but I don't want to risk not being able to do it.

I will also add that one of my plans for the year was also to do one episode from each of three anime series per week over and above what is put out so that if there were a problem they would be ready to fill the void, I just figured I could get to February before it happened. One of those series is Code Geass. :)

On a personal note, this hit us where we live, literally. We were contending with this and things went to hell around here, jobs half finished. I finally got a text on Friday to show the house to someone, the second one ever and the first in two months. We knew with the state of the place and a person on injured reserve, we'd never get it done in the 48 hours we had so we had to ask to reschedule, and they just canceled. :(

Lucky thing I have some Voyager in the pipeline to vent my frustrations at. :lol:
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
tacomoney
Redshirt

Post by tacomoney »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:31 am
tacomoney wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 amIn lighter writing , well Go Nagai is for sure the father of anime super robot mecha, the only other real option is the grim reaper himself Yoshiyuki Tomino ...or is he the death god of mecha?
Well, if you want to keep it strictly to anime, then yes, Go Nagai is your god. Why do you consider Tomino the death god though?
Off the top of my head Zambot 3 ,Zeta/Victory/Chars counterattack Gundam , Aura Battler Dunbine and the dark king Space Runaway Ideon all famous for killing off most of the main cast
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Lizuka wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:03 am On the whole I'm pretty against the movie. I'm all for wanting to do something different with the source material but I feel like the random time skip / ceased aging thing and the more active resistance bent are just making it into something Evangelion isn't.

Piano scene is great though.
I felt it was a bold move and still engaging (and honestly moreso than the meanderings at the end of the original show). It is a big shift though, so I can understand being unhappy with it. For me, it worked and had me considerably more interested than the condensed/remake strategy of the first film and part of the second.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'm curious what peoples' thoughts are on the movies as a sequel to the series and EoE rather than a reboot of them.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Admiral X wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:48 am I'm curious what peoples' thoughts are on the movies as a sequel to the series and EoE rather than a reboot of them.
I don't see how they can function as sequels. It's very directly an alternative take on the story.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

When you look at the ending shots of End of Evangelion, they look pretty similar to the opening shots of 1.0, not to mention stuff like the blood on the moon. During the really weird parts of Instrumentality, notRei tells Shinji that people can basically choose to come back to life and return to their original form again, and that plus the visual stuff I mentioned gave birth to the fan theory that the movies are in fact sequels, and are kind of a case of "all of this has happened before, all of it will happen again."
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Ah, I see what you mean. A sort of "we'll keep trying this until we get it right" sort of looping history. I dunno, could be interesting, but I don't see it as being particularly thematic with the show. I'm sure there are people who can find support for it though, since the show is pretty rich with philosophical musings.