Episodes you could've sworn Chuck reviewed, but hasn't

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: Episodes you could've sworn Chuck reviewed, but hasn't

Post by Sir Will »

Formless One wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:01 pm Not so much an episode as a statement, I could swear-- because TVTropes claims he said it-- that in one episode Chuck claimed that the only producer of Star Trek that he actually thinks is a bad person and not just a bad producer was Maurice Hurley. It sounds like something Chuck would say, but for the life of me I can't find the review he said it in, and TVTropes doesn't cite the review either. Of course there are hundreds of reviews, so not knowing where to start makes it hard to falsify. So it could be something that either he said on the old forum before it got nuked, something he said and then edited out when he moved the videos from one server to another, something TVTropes extrapolated from his statements about Maurice, or TVTropes could just be full of shit because its a wiki. But in any case, its been bugging me because I sincerely remember it, and nothing is more troubling than having a possibly false memory.
I don't think he's ever said that. His disdain for Maurice is clear but he tries not to talk about people personally.
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:40 pmO RLY?
Check out the February schedule. Beginning of March it looks like some Capaldi episodes too.
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

Sir Will wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 pmI don't think he's ever said that. His disdain for Maurice is clear but he tries not to talk about people personally.
Nowadays that is true, but his oldest reviews had distinctly more vitriol in them. I began watching him all the way back when his tagline for Voyager and Enterprise was "welcome to the stupidity that is!" However, over time many of those reviews have been edited or redone by Chuck, and not just to correct for technical problems he had but also to edit the scripts as well to have a less vicious tone. I think now there are maybe one or two reviews that retain the line, and usually with a justification that the episode is just that idiotic. So I can imagine it happening that something was said*, and then during a re-upload the line may have been removed, leaving me in a state of semi-insanity for years on end thanks to his TVTropes page.

* in fact, in my memory this happened in an Enterprise review where he brought it up specifically to say his mockery of Rick Berman's work and the rest was not personal, and that Maurice was the only exception to that rule. But again, maybe it didn't happen and TVTropes is just driving me crazy.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

While it is true he's toned it back, in some ways the show has suffered for this, like in calling out the misogyny, such as with "The Enemy Within." I feel the golden age of the show was somewhere between 2013 and late 2014 to early 2015. That was a classic time for his reviews.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Actually I consider his toned down reviews to be an improvement in a lot of ways.

Take "The Enemy Within". If I want to hear an interesting, educational, and thought provoking psychological discussion about the two Kirks and theories on how each could exist and why there wasn't really an "evil" version, I will listen to the review.

If I want to hear someone rant on and on and on about misogyny, well I know right where to find someone who is more than happy to turn every single discussion towards it no matter how unrelated it is.

The current reviews give you something to think about and are more level headed, but still extremely funny. I know where to go if I want my fill of Discovery hatred, plenty of options. I trust Chuck to give his opinion like it is, the good and the bad, even if I disagree with him or feel he was too easy on this or that.

OT: I thought he had done the Enterprise episode Home. I think I got confused because he talks in Borderland about the positive changes made in the characters which first start to appear in Home.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Yeah it's possible he said something different in original reviews that were changed on one of his reuploads. I've been around a long time (he was still working on getting all those previously reviewed episodes back up) but not since the beginning so I didn't see their original forms.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

On the other hand, bringing it up can make you think in ways you hadn't before. Take "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang," for example. It had completely escaped my notice that the women were just eyecandy and one was a damsel in distress, but this stuff is so subconscious and becomes ingrained in our cultural perceptions, that's how hatred against women is spread, and takes root in the minds of men and women alike. He was right to call it out. I didn't hate the episode, but it helped me to realize something new about myself.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 am While it is true he's toned it back, in some ways the show has suffered for this, like in calling out the misogyny, such as with "The Enemy Within." I feel the golden age of the show was somewhere between 2013 and late 2014 to early 2015. That was a classic time for his reviews.
Eh, he has always given some episodes leniency when one bad element doesn't ruin an overall good episode. Plus, I think he made his point about how sexist TOS could be when he reviewed Turnabout Intruder. After all, TOS was made in the 60's, and while it was progressive for the 60's its hardly progressive by 2019 standards. Its not an excuse, its just a statement of what to expect when you watch TV from that era. What I want to know when watching (most) TOS episodes is not what has aged poorly, because that list is plenty long and very obvious. I want to know what made an episode unique, interesting, and unusual for its time, and in "The Enemy Within" that's clearly the premise. Heck, most of the review isn't even synopsis, but Chuck talking about the episode's link to Freudian psychology.

Now, on the other hand, I know for a fact he still has episodes from TNG season 1 and 2 he hasn't reviewed yet, and I fully expect that those episodes will be put under a dull, rusty knife whenever he finally gets to them. :twisted:
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Which is weird, given he's trashed Freud in the past.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Zoinksberg wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:26 amActually I consider his toned down reviews to be an improvement in a lot of ways.

Take "The Enemy Within". If I want to hear an interesting, educational, and thought provoking psychological discussion about the two Kirks and theories on how each could exist and why there wasn't really an "evil" version, I will listen to the review.

If I want to hear someone rant on and on and on about misogyny, well I know right where to find someone who is more than happy to turn every single discussion towards it no matter how unrelated it is.

The current reviews give you something to think about and are more level headed, but still extremely funny. I know where to go if I want my fill of Discovery hatred, plenty of options. I trust Chuck to give his opinion like it is, the good and the bad, even if I disagree with him or feel he was too easy on this or that.
/+1'd
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Blaze Rocker
Redshirt

Post by Blaze Rocker »

Am I having an instance of the Mandela Effect or does anyone else recall Chuck reviewing ST:TNG's 'Galaxy's Child' at some point?
I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.