Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
APlotdevice
Redshirt

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

Post by APlotdevice »

excalibur wrote:
APlotdevice wrote:My thoughts just on the new NCC-1701: love it, love it, love it! It sticks much closer to the classic dimensions compared to the Abrams one, while still looking fresh and modern.
It was a bit premature to show us the Enterprise of this show and no point really. That ship has nothing to do with The Discovery
Perhaps, but I'm simply commenting on the design. This is frankly the ship I wish had been in the Abrams movies...
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I too like the design (certainly more than JJ's) but it's impossible for me to see its appearance out of the blue as anything but pandering and fodder for marketing hype devoid of a connection to the narrative.

It's precisely the sort of fanservice you do in order to appeal to people who aren't already in your audience due to the superficial recognition requirements.
Thaeri
Redshirt

Post by Thaeri »

excalibur wrote:This series is basically them thinking dark and gritty is what the franchise needed when DS9 did enough of that
At least DS9 went into that direction and you can sort of see DIS as a continuation of that, especially c0nsiddering the two last seasons of Enterprise and the general style of TV series today.

I'm OK with today's Star Trek not being the same as in the 90's. Because 90's Start Trek is not the same as the one from the 60's either.

I'm not sure if you ever followed the Stargate franchise, but it went from two episodic shows that didn't take themselves too seriously and which built towards a greater finale each season (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis). The next incarnation - Stargate Universe - begun the same year as Atlantis ended and it was completely different in both tone and structure. It's not a bad series in and of itself, but I do understand why it failed.

But for ST: DIS... You want it to adhere to 90's standards but you also want it to be truly good right away? Were you even alive in the 90's? When Star Trek series took two seasons to become watchable? Usually 40-50 episodes, by the way.

So, you're dismissing this one after just 15 episodes? Because the aesthetics are different? Because when it comes to the ethical dilemmas, DIS is very Star Trek indeed.

This brings me to my final point. Star Trek: Discovery should be abbreviated like Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise. ST: plus DIS, VOY and ENT. The only reason someone came up with STD was because they either didn't know Star Trek naming conventions or they were biased against this new series without having watched it.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I think my counter to that is that even ENT should have benefited from the mistakes the previous series made, and that some of the criticism directed toward that show is that it obviously didn't. Most shows don't get two seasons to work things out. Hell, some shows are lucky to even make it to a second season.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

In a lot of ways, Discovery pushed some of the more hardcore tones that ENT tried to be but failed in the end. Had ENT gotten another season, it might have become something. They also were held back on the time line since it's a prequel, a concept Discovery ignores entirely. Technology, mannerism, and style is absolutely different and not even remotely in keeping with pre-TOS. Sure it's the style of budget of TOS that made it that way, but unlike ENT, Discovery wasn't even trying at all.

I keep thinking that they really should have rebooted the entire series with the JJ Abrams movie instead of trying to broken tie it to the "prime universe". Because of advancing technology we have today, and obviously political views, a sci-fi series like classic Trek can't survive in today's climate without it being drastically altered not only to fit today's subjects but also for profit. It's still a TV show and shows aren't free
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Deledrius wrote:Yeah, that's a very disappointing direction for season 2 if it turns out to be true. This show was already too obsessed with showcasing the Bad Guys in the first season. We don't need more of that.
Unfortunately our faux Trill (Alan Van Sprang) has stated that he will be back and S31 will have a significant part to play in season 2.* It concerns me that they are taking the darkest part of DS9 and then running it through the STD gritty filter. How do you ramp up "attempts genocide of an entire species"? I guess recruiting a fallen emperor of an evil empire who enjoys taunting and then consuming sentient species is a good start to that :|

And let me just say that the black badges are possibly the worst part of a show with a lot of bad to go around. Section 31 working in conjunction with Starfleet AND identifying themselves with visible symbols?!?! No, nonononono! Do you think the CIA members who keep foreign leaders on the take walk around with special black badges identifying them? No! And that's not a secret organization that is so deeply undercover that they have no physical location and aren't even rumored to exist.

I can keep hoping this will come around and pull a TNG, but wow.

* https://trekmovie.com/2018/03/31/alan-v ... -season-2/
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

excalibur wrote:In a lot of ways, Discovery pushed some of the more hardcore tones that ENT tried to be but failed in the end. Had ENT gotten another season, it might have become something. They also were held back on the time line since it's a prequel, a concept Discovery ignores entirely. Technology, mannerism, and style is absolutely different and not even remotely in keeping with pre-TOS. Sure it's the style of budget of TOS that made it that way, but unlike ENT, Discovery wasn't even trying at all.

I keep thinking that they really should have rebooted the entire series with the JJ Abrams movie instead of trying to broken tie it to the "prime universe". Because of advancing technology we have today, and obviously political views, a sci-fi series like classic Trek can't survive in today's climate without it being drastically altered not only to fit today's subjects but also for profit. It's still a TV show and shows aren't free
We still cannot go to space like they do. What tech innovation needs to be there?
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Madner Kami »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm That would be "sporocystian". The word "sporocystian", despite it's seemingly clear roots in "spore" and "cyst" is a non-word, a word without meaning, technobabble and I'd find it quite stupid to tie in Discovery with Voyager of all series in such a hamfisted way.
Turns out, it actually is a word in biology: Sporocyst.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

excalibur wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:38 pm In a lot of ways, Discovery pushed some of the more hardcore tones that ENT tried to be but failed in the end. Had ENT gotten another season, it might have become something. They also were held back on the time line since it's a prequel, a concept Discovery ignores entirely. Technology, mannerism, and style is absolutely different and not even remotely in keeping with pre-TOS. Sure it's the style of budget of TOS that made it that way, but unlike ENT, Discovery wasn't even trying at all.

Trek political views kinda work they just need to be less naive.

If you asked me in the year when i said i was a Left winger...

Trek's humanistic vison carried from TOS to the end of ENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>current gender and sexual identity stuff that will age badly/