Korra Season 2 Part 4

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Winter
Captain

Re: Korra Season 2 Part 4

Post by Winter »

I don't know about that as I feel it would cheapen Zuko's character if he reason for turning to the good side was boiled down to him just wanting a girl. Not saying that can't work as I am a huge Zutara fan but, for me, this would be like changing Mara Jade's arc in The Thrawn Trilogy from realizing that her adoptive father was abusive towards her and excepting people in her life who actually care about her to, she's falls for Luke and wants to change because of that.

The problem with trying to adapted the TV series into a feature length film is that you have a 9 hour story trying to be condensed into a 2 hour flick and there's no real way to make that work no matter how skilled a director you are. I think the only way to make a Avatar film work is to just be a direct tie-in to the show like what we have with Star Trek or firefly as anything else just isn't going to work IMHO.

As for Zutara I think the best way to make it canon now is just for the two to meet up again in TLOK comics and just have them fall in love there. By all accounts Zuko's wife, whoever she is, is dead and we know Aang is to and there's no rule that says that Zuko and Katara can't be each other's second love.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Winter wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:29 am I don't know about that as I feel it would cheapen Zuko's character if he reason for turning to the good side was boiled down to him just wanting a girl. Not saying that can't work as I am a huge Zutara fan
Yes, that IS why I opposed your ship and its utter deforming effect and efforts on Avatar discussion and discourse
Lizuka
Officer

Post by Lizuka »

I really never particularly bought either Kataang or Zutara. The former I think is less awkward, it mostly just falls on the side of kind of bland and the build is pretty much entirely one-sided, but I'm not really crazy about either.

As for the broader subject of romance in Korra... Really even knowing it was coming I didn't see it at all with Korra and Asami. I do like the idea of the relationship, and to be fair they were probably VERY limited in how much they were allowed to even imply, but really nothing between them before the last scene of the series comes off even a little romantic to me. And even that I probably wouldn't assume was supposed to be a hookup if I didn't know that's what it was intended as.

Although going back to the subject of Katara, Aang, and Zuko, it does remind me of one other, "Oh, they so pulled this out of their asses," thing in Korra - that there is absolutely no way they intended on Toph (and possibly Zuko for that matter) being alive the whole time. There's really no way to read that, "My brother and friends are gone," line other than bare minimum Toph also being dead.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Yeah, making Zuko change sides because of a romance arc is pretty cliche. If you absolutely HAVE to change it to your preferred ship, the only way to do it that doesn't suck is to have the romance come after the change of heart.

Anybody who didn't see the leadup to Korrasami wasn't watching the show too closely, because there are FAR too many incidents of Korra scoping out Asami's ass or Asami blushing around Korra for there to be any other conclusion drawn.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Lizuka wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:33 am
As for the broader subject of romance in Korra... Really even knowing it was coming I didn't see it at all with Korra and Asami.
The reaction video got taken down, so please just go to 2:41 for my response
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ThpkjDgdvY
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Which reaction video because if you're referring to the Loud reaction video it's still up, I watch every now and then just for feels. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4WoLeQnHk

As for Korra and Asami I did actually see it coming as there were a number of scenes that showed the two getting closer and closer and a few bits that felt romantic. Asami holding Korra's hand and remaining by her side at the end of Change, Asami offering to come with Korra to the South Poll just to keep her company. Saying how she missed Korra in her letter, Korra Only writing back to Asami and revealing her most personal fears, the way Asami says how she can't wait to see Korra again (I mean really look at that smile as she thinks about Korra returning http://www.cap-that.com/korra/401/image ... 1_0196.jpg).

Asami going to Korra's statue in Avatar Korra park when she needs to think, the entirety of Reunion and their scene in Remembrance. And I wasn't the only one who saw this, as the Ho Yay page of Korra's TV Trope page was 97% about Korra and Asami's growing relationship so the hints were there it's just no one thought the series would actually go that way because Same Sex relationships just weren't something in kids shows. Yes we've seen more queer relationships in western animation since then but that was After Korra and Asami broke that barrier.

I love this couple, they're on par with Naruto and Hinata, Beast Boy and Raven, Lara and Sam, Blake and Yang, Link and Midna, Han and Leia, Luke and Mara, and I'm a romantic so I'm going to stop there or we're going to be here all century.

In the end what I love most about Korrasami is now to 3 reasons, they built a strong foundation of friendship before they started to fall in love for one another. They have fantastic chemistry and they fully trust one another. And to paraphrase Chuck, both are willing to give all they have for each other even if they receive nothing in return and that is the purest form of love there is.

Seeing how it is a big part of both characters and how much he has shown to like both Korra and Asami and how their relationship is a big part of their character arcs I do hope that Chuck does one of his speeches about how and why their relationship works with one of his great music videos like what we got in Madoka Magica and Wall-E. :D
Last edited by Winter on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 am I unironically say Bolin was a far more interesting potential love interest than Mako. When they went on the date, I was like, "I don't see why it's so ridiculous."
They had a lot in common and the date was a good time. It was weird to me that the show refused to even acknowledge it, even if they were committed to hooking her up with Mako (and especially once they gave up on that bad idea).
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Winter wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 am Which reaction video because if you're referring to the Loud reaction video it's still up, I watch every now and then just for feels. :D

Frankly, those videos caused me to re-evaluate my attitudes toward shipping. Before I'd mostly make jokes about it, at one point teasing in a thread on another forum that "Korrasami is still afloat, we need bigger torpedoes". But seeing the testimonials, the people breaking down into tears, genuine emotional validation... it made me think.

So now, I tend to not poke the shippers as much anymore.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Steve wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 pm
Winter wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 am Which reaction video because if you're referring to the Loud reaction video it's still up, I watch every now and then just for feels. :D

Frankly, those videos caused me to re-evaluate my attitudes toward shipping. Before I'd mostly make jokes about it, at one point teasing in a thread on another forum that "Korrasami is still afloat, we need bigger torpedoes". But seeing the testimonials, the people breaking down into tears, genuine emotional validation... it made me think.

I generally hate the ship, not the shipper. Like, there are some WEIRD ships out there (Supergirl and her mentor, Supergirl and her foster-sister (srsly, weird foster sibling incest is the Flash's thing), Zuko and Katara, the madness that is people unironically writing serious stories about Bolin and Unalaq's crazy kids, etc.), but the way I approach these is to say "I don't think this ship works and here's why" and leave it at that. Say it once, then just ignore the weird content and go back to the ships I enjoy. Turning it into a "war" just upsets everybody and sucks the fun out of it all.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Steve wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 pm

aww. Good for you man. :)
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville