The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Artabax
Officer

Re: The Orville

Post by Artabax »

What I love about ORV is that it ain't as retarded as regular Trek: Prime Directive = kill them all, ORV dropped that; ship that can be destroyed with Cheese, ORV dropped that; Humanity's destiny is to "evolve" into salamanders, ORV dropped that.

Then ORV caves in to Gene's Vision TM: Jefferey's tubes so small that only Japheth and children can use them. If each ship had many Japheths. that would make sense. ORV has only one Japheth who might get sick or sulk or die. Who knows whether other ships have any Japheths at all?
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Artabax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 am What I love about ORV is that it ain't as retarded as regular Trek: Prime Directive = kill them all, ORV dropped that; ship that can be destroyed with Cheese, ORV dropped that; Humanity's destiny is to "evolve" into salamanders, ORV dropped that.

Then ORV caves in to Gene's Vision TM: Jefferey's tubes so small that only Japheth and children can use them. If each ship had many Japheths. that would make sense. ORV has only one Japheth who might get sick or sulk or die. Who knows whether other ships have any Japheths at all?
I wondered about that, and that it seems to be an airway from the hangar to that communications room (and potentially the rest of the interior of the ship, if that door to the room isn't proof against rapid decompression). Maybe it was made for some kind of drone to work in? But that's making an excuse for what should have been explained in the episode.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Artabax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 am What I love about ORV is that it ain't as retarded as regular Trek: Prime Directive = kill them all, ORV dropped that; ship that can be destroyed with Cheese, ORV dropped that; Humanity's destiny is to "evolve" into salamanders, ORV dropped that.

It might make sense if they have rhoomba sized devices to go through them.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

to be fair to Trek---Orville doesn't have to pump out 22 episodes a year in a franchise that's been on TV for years.

my opinion is that 10 episode seasons, max of 4 seasons per series are the key for good dramatic storytelling. That by itself cuts down on a lot of dumb ideas/filler episodes that are "canon" by default.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Blood of Patriots a shout out to that one episode in TNG O'Brien's old CO knew the Cardassi are breaking the
peace treaty
Benefit of Hindsight: we know that Cardassi "Peace Treaty" = Munich agreement =Backstop = absolute surrender. But we don't YET know whether Kryll will keep the Treaty. Probably not, but we ain't certain yet.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Th ... _(episode)

We have already seen People disguised as Kryll and vice versa. Obviously there was a Cunning Plan.

B-plot Romance actually works. Dan / Security Chief??? Regular Alaya was sympathetic, bad-ass, likeable and pretty. Replacement is all that and ugly. Dan is likeable and ugly. Call me shallow if you will, two likeable uglies being happy together = Glory Hallelujah! But I would have whinged at pretty/ugly romance.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

...did you just call Jessica/Talla ugly? You're nuts.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

"Interesting flavour!"
moclan.png
moclan.png (11.42 KiB) Viewed 503 times
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Is the Orville over?

Yes I do prefer the original Security Chief. The new one is just as competent and sympathetic, but the old one was prettier.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

3 weeks to the next episode...

And yes, the original was better.
raiken_
Redshirt

Post by raiken_ »

The episode kind of screwed up making it the Moclans who took up smoking. They're from a highly-industrialized planet covered in super smog and are generally show to be unaffected by harsh conditions for humans. Nothing in the episode indicated smoking would actually hurt them. Even if they focused on just the addiction angle, Bortus and Klyden didn't demonstrate being controlled by their addictions until after they were told to stop cold turkey.

Thinking some more on this Doc made a deal of where's Topa, like, tell me he hasn't be exposed to filthy, filthy cigarette smoke. Makes me wonder how much of Moclan respiratory or immune systems develop purely from inherited genetics vs environmental factors. Sort of like what happened with Alara becoming weak in low gravity, is Topa going to be underdeveloped relative to other Moclans?

Really I think in both plots the side characters jumped way too fast to the conclusions that the plot characters were engaging in some harmful obsessions. Gordon making a simulation extrapolated from data on a device seems like something historians, or really anyone with curiosity of the era, would do, but the rest of the crew immediately act like he's stuck in some fantasy. Being late for one shift, yes that's bad, but not on it's own a pattern of irresponsible behavior. The arguments for why scripted stories were different from the simulation fell flat for me, although I did like how the post-Greg wrinkle played back into that.