Episodes you could've sworn Chuck reviewed, but hasn't

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Episodes you could've sworn Chuck reviewed, but hasn't

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Trouble w/ Tribbles
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Formless One wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:28 am
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 am While it is true he's toned it back, in some ways the show has suffered for this, like in calling out the misogyny, such as with "The Enemy Within." I feel the golden age of the show was somewhere between 2013 and late 2014 to early 2015. That was a classic time for his reviews.
Eh, he has always given some episodes leniency when one bad element doesn't ruin an overall good episode. Plus, I think he made his point about how sexist TOS could be when he reviewed Turnabout Intruder. After all, TOS was made in the 60's, and while it was progressive for the 60's its hardly progressive by 2019 standards. Its not an excuse, its just a statement of what to expect when you watch TV from that era. What I want to know when watching (most) TOS episodes is not what has aged poorly, because that list is plenty long and very obvious. I want to know what made an episode unique, interesting, and unusual for its time, and in "The Enemy Within" that's clearly the premise. Heck, most of the review isn't even synopsis, but Chuck talking about the episode's link to Freudian psychology.

Now, on the other hand, I know for a fact he still has episodes from TNG season 1 and 2 he hasn't reviewed yet, and I fully expect that those episodes will be put under a dull, rusty knife whenever he finally gets to them. :twisted:
Personally I think the era that something was made is a perfectly good excuse. Judging something by 2019 standards is silly. We have a different upbringing, different politics, different science, different views on religion, different worldview, different economy, different laws, different everything.

As much as it may bother people for me to say this, particularly I feel certain feminist men, but if you were born back then you would probably share the exact same views that they did. Most of what you are is nurture, that is just a fact.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

If chuck was going to lay into someone Star Trek related I would have thought it would be Jay/Jack Marks - or Jamake Highwater as he represented himself as. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater he made up all kinds of native BS and some of that went to Star Trek.
rickgriffin
Officer

Post by rickgriffin »

bronnt wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 pm I could have sworn he'd reviewed TNG "Manhunt," (ie, the episode where Lwaxana Troi shows up solely because she's cruising for ass) mostly because I have a vivid half-memory of him making fun of the fugly aliens of the week.
That one I know he didn't do because I've been waiting on it specifically, because it's one of the two Lwaxana Troi episodes where I absolutely agree with Chuck that she's just utterly horrible.

I brought this up at one point in the past, but while I know Chuck mentioned Silicon Avatar in the episode Datalore and a few others, I could have sworn some episode had actually shown clips from Silicon Avatar, specifically the ones where people are hiding in the cave. Granted, given Trek's love for cave sets I could have easily misremembered...
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:19 am Trouble w/ Tribbles
He has done that one now.
Robovski wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 am If chuck was going to lay into someone Star Trek related I would have thought it would be Jay/Jack Marks - or Jamake Highwater as he represented himself as. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater he made up all kinds of native BS and some of that went to Star Trek.
While he didn't 'tear into him' as such, he did talk about him in Tattoo.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Sir Will wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:12 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:19 am Trouble w/ Tribbles
He has done that one now.
SORRY
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Damn, beat me to it. X.X
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

rickgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 pm
bronnt wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 pm I could have sworn he'd reviewed TNG "Manhunt," (ie, the episode where Lwaxana Troi shows up solely because she's cruising for ass) mostly because I have a vivid half-memory of him making fun of the fugly aliens of the week.
That one I know he didn't do because I've been waiting on it specifically, because it's one of the two Lwaxana Troi episodes where I absolutely agree with Chuck that she's just utterly horrible.
The ''sexual harassment is funny/cute when women are doing it'' episode. Yeah, its a stinker all right.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's a huge double standard, especially present in anime, that needs to be challenged.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords