VOY: "Living Witness"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: VOY: "Living Witness"

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I'm reminded of Westworld. "Humans aren't actually complicated. You only need like 20K of code to simulate them. The problem was trying too hard."
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

Was this intended to be Voyager's "Mirror Universe" episode? Because the Voyager Interpretation scenes had the feel of a Mirror Universe episode.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Shuboy07 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 am Was this intended to be Voyager's "Mirror Universe" episode? Because the Voyager Interpretation scenes had the feel of a Mirror Universe episode.
Only in tone of characters. Otherwise I see this as a somewhat common show device where the episode is told in retro and provides a false narrative on top of that.
..What mirror universe?
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:38 am
Shuboy07 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 am Was this intended to be Voyager's "Mirror Universe" episode? Because the Voyager Interpretation scenes had the feel of a Mirror Universe episode.
Only in tone of characters. Otherwise I see this as a somewhat common show device where the episode is told in retro and provides a false narrative on top of that.
True, I was just referring to the spirit of the episode.

I've also noticed an interesting trend of Brannon Braga writing better episodes when his collaborator is a strong writer (the exceptions being Braga's solo TNG episodes which are pretty good). His episodes with Ron Moore or Joe Menosky tend to be good while his ENT episodes with Berman, well.....
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Shuboy07 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:06 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:38 am
True, I was just referring to the spirit of the episode.
Ah. Well I guess having a mirror universe Terran vessel stranded in the delta quadrant would be incredibly silly.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I take it as what it is. A challenge to revisionist history. Like Russia's approach to it today, or what the GOP is trying to do in a few states. Turn back the clock and remove the history "they don't like" from the books because it makes them or us look bad.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Kinda? Although it also borrows slightly from things like Rashomon. The trouble I had with this episode when it aired (much like The Voyager Conspiracy) is that the exaggerations are always not quite as stark as the writers seemed to expect. More honest, certainly, but not always so different. More a caricature than a falsehood. In this context that somewhat makes sense, but it really does say something about the actual crew that isn't really acknowledged.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

VOY jettisoned EMH back-up. They need the data-space for more Planet of the Oirish holo-novels.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

"Photons Be Free, First Edition" or "Worst Case Scenario" also depict alternate Voyagers. But "Equinox" is the real winner in the "Mirror" category as has been suggested. Even though we all know that the REAL mirror Janeway is just the sweetest bearded lady in the galaxy.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's only a cover. She's being drugged to keep her from going nuts. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords