Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MixedDrops
Officer

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by MixedDrops »

On the one hand, it's clear Abrams is playing it safe once again by bringing back things everyone knows (Palpatine, Luke, Leia, Lando all feature prominently in this trailer). But on the other hand, since this is supposedly the final story for the Skywalker family (until another 30 years pass and we get another trilogy of course), it makes some sense to bring back as many of those things as possible.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

It's the final story in the Skywalker saga which is why we're going to call it "Rise of Skywalker".

#NolanFinaleLogic
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They really missed their shot nevertheless. Han won't be included because he's dead (though we never see his body, do we?) and unless they offered Ford like $100,000,000 or even half a billion dollars, which I can't see greedy execs doing, he's not starring in this, because he never really liked Star Wars after the first movie. He got the death he wished for, he's moved on. Only huge money past what they're willing to spend would draw him back. Thus, the fans won't get to see them all together for one final adventure, while I cackle in amusement in the background.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Maybe they could also take the opportunity to bring another emperor back.

Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They won't. They don't wanna drag Legends elements past the six movies into the "new canon." Besides, I'd feel insulted if they did that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:26 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:36 pm I predict, that much like "Return of the Jedi" was well received by general audiences upon its release, because the catharsis of finishing a story with plenty of fun and excite is good... that there will ultimately be flaws which nerds will fixate upon to ruin the movie for themselves and ultimately annoy other people with.

I also suspect that no matter what happens certain segments of self professed fans will complain about it forever. Because everyone takes this goofy space adventure series far too seriously.

Trailer looks fine.
Being a fan and complaining is as old as civilization. Seriously, we have documented evidence of that sort of thing happening in the audiences of Greek plays 3000 years ago.
Yeah, well, if you want to carve how much you hate the Jason and the Argonauts play into a table at the local gyro shop I am not going to stop you... gyro shop owner might... but the way media works today I would appreciate it if the internet was not a constant flaming pool of vomit whenever Star Wars is brought up.

Star Wars fan culture needs an enema/fumigation to deplatform and marginalize the horrid people who are poisoning the whole thing. IT makes everything less fun when my youtube recommendations are filled with nonsense about Star Wars.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

SabreMau wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 pm Maybe they could also take the opportunity to bring another emperor back.

Please stop with this beyond the light and dark of the Force stuff...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Rocketboy1313 You might have a point when they do things like cyberbully and harass Kelly Marie Tran and Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best over stupid, arguably bigoted reasons, but that shouldn't be used as a shield against legitimate criticism. And it sounds as if you're doing the opposite. Taking this series too lightly to the point you'd watch whatever was shoved down your throat, even if they did some Bay style stuff and threw in fart jokes and pee jokes and balls jokes and racist stereotypes. Would you? The fact it was a fantasy world meant for kids doesn't mean it should be immune to criticism, though the constructive kind. And it doesn't change the fact that character was not Luke Skywalker and Mark Hamill even admitted he was playing Jake Skywalker in his head. You can take this to my thread if you wanna argue the point, but that's bad when an actor has to do that. Don't write off those "nerds" so easily, though thank you for confirming most people's expectations are far lower than we would hope. Though Revenge of the Fallen really prove that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Jonathan101 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 pm It's the final story in the Skywalker saga which is why we're going to call it "Rise of Skywalker".

#NolanFinaleLogic
That's a bit low. Even for you.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I wasn't offended. :shock: