Code Geass

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Code Geass

Post by FaxModem1 »

Not having seen this series, or a lot of anime in general, I wonder if this, like Paranoia Agent, is an example of Japan's persecution complex about World War 2. An alternate history that shows just how awful it is that Japan was invaded and in this story, it can't be blamed on the fact that they were empire building and trying to take over China for oil supplies.
tacomoney
Redshirt

Post by tacomoney »

Okay for those wondering why people think its the 1960's is that the Britannia Calendar starting date is when Alwin the 1st became the celtic king.

(Taken from the wiki)

Alwin I (アルウィン1世, Aruwin 1 sai) was a Celtic king from the First Century a.t.b. whose first year of rule became the establishing year of the Imperial Calendar used by the Holy Britannian Empire.

Alwin I rose to prominence when he successfully stopped the Romans, from conquering the British Isles to become part of the Roman Republic. The Celts responded by choosing Alwin I as the Celtic super-king. His descendants would have also stopped Claudius' conquest of Britain in 43 AD, which would otherwise prevent the timeline from diverting. It is unknown how much his dynasty has ruled until the coming of Alfred the Great, (historically, Claudius managed to conquer Britain, up until Scotland, starting from 43 AD to around 54 or 55 AD).

This implies their calendar starting roughly in the 50's/40's BC our time and our just now catching up to our 1960's.

Just thought i'd help clear that.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:16 pm Not having seen this series, or a lot of anime in general, I wonder if this, like Paranoia Agent, is an example of Japan's persecution complex about World War 2. An alternate history that shows just how awful it is that Japan was invaded and in this story, it can't be blamed on the fact that they were empire building and trying to take over China for oil supplies.
Its a pretty prevelant subtext in Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny... Down to the Fact that it has TWO stand ins for Japan

Remember Japan pretty much denies any such invasion of Korea lead by a Hideyoshi Toyotomi... Thier Stance on the War is don't talk about it...

Hell later UC Gundams it become clear that Zeon is no longer space Nazi Germany but a heavily Flawed Spaced Imperial Japan... or atleast the Ideal Imperial Japan due to well the fans turned writers seeing the Zeons as the misunderstood good guys... or atleast the Federation isn't ANY better...

which falls apart the moment you realize Zeon and Zaft pretty much OUT BASTARD their respective Fed counterparts by a country mile

______

... Frankly I always figured that the Britannia Empire was just like Rome... The UK half collapsed but the stronger more vibrant NA half was able to retake and reform the empire... unlike the East Roman attempt due to the plague
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Cylus
Redshirt

Post by Cylus »

MixedDrops wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:07 am Maybe. I'd say both Char and Magneto have a bit more to them than Lelouch though, at least intellectually, because they both have some sort of greater ideal beyond their quest for revenge. Magneto wants to protect/free mutants and Char wants to actualize his father's vision of humanity in space. Lelouch is driven by revenge and emotion most of the time, the freedom of the Japanese or anyone else is just a means to an end.
It all depends on what interpretation you choose to apply to each characters. I'd say Lelouch was primarily emotional, but he does come to have valid concerns about people being unfairly treated in general and wants to make that better, regardless of their nationality, despite not holding any particular appreciation for the Japanese. Char also had a mix of purely personal motivations, not only idealism, all the way up to the movie that served to close his arc.

Magneto is an interesting case. He has been written by so many different writers over the years with varying results. Sometimes the man has been cartoonishly evil, conflicted, reformed, basically heroic, basically villainous, competent, incompetent, hypocritical, or reflective. It's fun to compare Claremont's Magneto with Morrison's, or Lobdell's Magneto with Bunn's.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

The way I've always described Lelouch's ideals is that he wants to avenge his family, to make the world a better place for Nunnally, and to bring about worldwide justice and social reform. One of his key character flaws is that, in his head, these goals have all swirled together and wrapped around each other, to the point where he doesn't recognize them as separate things. So whenever he's put in a situation where advancing one of those goals comes at the expense of the others, he tends to flounder and make uncharacteristically stupid decisions.
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

Also freaking love Johnny Yong Bosch's performance as Lelouch.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

The thing I notice is the pronunciation. I assume that in the anime they pronounce the word as Chuck does, which is fair enough.

I am used to reading about a geas (a magical obligation) in D&D and the like, as I recall I always heard it geeze, although I can't be sure I ever heard anyone pronounce it so that might just be my guess when I read it now and then. A quick google suggests the actual Gaelic word is pronounced gesh, so you learn something new every day (I had no idea it was even a Gaelic word).
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

While there is the stuff about Caesar being defeated, the main point of divergence is that Queen Elizabeth actually had a son who succeeded her, Henry IX.

Code Geass is one of my tops Anime, it was second only to Noir for a long time.
Call me KuudereKun
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm While there is the stuff about Caesar being defeated, the main point of divergence is that Queen Elizabeth actually had a son who succeeded her, Henry IX.

So the Virgin Queen is no longer the Virgin queen, and loses a lot of the negotiating power she had with the various nations and nobles she played against each other? Methinks that the Japanese didn't study Elizabeth the I as closely as they should have.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm While there is the stuff about Caesar being defeated, the main point of divergence is that Queen Elizabeth actually had a son who succeeded her, Henry IX.

So the Virgin Queen is no longer the Virgin queen, and loses a lot of the negotiating power she had with the various nations and nobles she played against each other? Methinks that the Japanese didn't study Elizabeth the I as closely as they should have.
Depends on when she got married and had the kid.

At the end of the day, her not having children at all ended up destroying the Tudor dynasty and caused her all kinds of headaches during her reign, so while she certainly capitalised on it for political gain, it wasn't something that completely paid off. It is also a matter of debate if she never wanted to marry at all or if she simply failed to find a suitor that satisfied both her and her court, not to mention she might simply have had health fears as many women who got pregnant in that era had stillbirths or suffered ill health themselves, notably including her own sister.