Babylon 5: A Distant Star

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
G-Man
Officer

Re: Babylon 5: A Distant Star

Post by G-Man »

So, Bawn-ya Cuh-ow-da.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Tanan
Redshirt

Post by Tanan »

G-Man wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 am So, Bawn-ya Cuh-ow-da.
Yeah. Yeah, that works.
Thanks!
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

I kinda wonder if he will ever cover Crusade. For a show birthed from one of the best sci-fi series ever to be so horrible is a great talking point in and of itself.

I'd be very curious to hear his breakdown of everything that went wrong. That show had all of the lore of Babylon 5 to draw from combined with the fresh tone of being on a ship instead of a space station... and they went full Voyager/Enterprise with it...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I haven't advanced far enough to see Crusade, sadly.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

planescaped wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:57 pm I kinda wonder if he will ever cover Crusade. For a show birthed from one of the best sci-fi series ever to be so horrible is a great talking point in and of itself.

I'd be very curious to hear his breakdown of everything that went wrong. That show had all of the lore of Babylon 5 to draw from combined with the fresh tone of being on a ship instead of a space station... and they went full Voyager/Enterprise with it...
It also got heavily Firefly'd by the network, so it's really a sad mess. I didn't think it was all that bad, honestly, it just never got where it was going. Imagine if B5 had only aired half of its first season and it's all we had to judge it on! Which, incidentally, is why I think it's a mistake to neglect making engaging episodes during your world-building season: it's bad for the ratings you need to be successful enough to continue, and if you don't make it at least you put out something people can enjoy on its own merits, instead of just in retrospect.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

planescaped wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:57 pm I kinda wonder if he will ever cover Crusade. For a show birthed from one of the best sci-fi series ever to be so horrible is a great talking point in and of itself.

DS9 is awesome because it is a B5 rip-off. Crusade is crap because it is a VOY rip-off. You can boldly go for evah. Crusade had the specific mission of curing Plague. VOY had the specific mission of a shining planet named Earth. The whole point of the Mission is to end the Show.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Ripoff implies they were stealing ideas during the show's run, when if you wanna go that route, the White Star was a ripoff of the Defiant. Someone behind the scenes even said, "It's a cool ship, just like the Defiant!" More like paying homage, even if the genesis by Brandon Tartikoff was 100% theft, they went in different directions. I've seen most of B5 and all of DS9 to tell you that is the case.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Crusade was building up. And the show seemed to be going somewhere. The initial episodes were also much better than season 1 of B5, aside from the music, which I think needed to be reworked. But that's a subjective thing.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I liked Babylon 5 Season 1 music. Better than the music DS9 had of the same time.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:35 am I liked Babylon 5 Season 1 music. Better than the music DS9 had of the same time.
Just in case I'm not being clear, I'm saying that Crusade's music isn't that good. Example, their intro sequence: link