The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by PerrySimm »

Babylon 5's out-of-order airings were legendary -- it is reasonably important to watch it in Lurker order rather than airdate order. The Orville, on the other hand, doesn't feel like a deeply serialized story for the most part.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Looks like they're heading for a season-ending bang. Not quite a cliffhanger, but something close that wouldn't be exactly perfect as a possible series finale.

The rumour seems to be that the show will continue production. To delve into deeper speculation, they could be all CBSesque and move the show onto Disney+ next season.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Eureka on the SyFy channel used a timeline change for a soft reboot. I hope The Orville isn't going that route, as I've been enjoying season 2 a lot.

It'd be ironic if The Orville went to streaming-only, considering the fan rivalry with STD. If it goes to Disney+, I'll miss it, but at least some people will continue enjoying it.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

If it went to Disney+ I might cancel my Hulu and take Disney+ if I can pick out more content I want. And I hate the idea of more streaming services - I prefer aggregator services over closed shop ones.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Robovski wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 am If it went to Disney+ I might cancel my Hulu and take Disney+ if I can pick out more content I want. And I hate the idea of more streaming services - I prefer aggregator services over closed shop ones.
Indeed. The move away from competition between networks is distressing. They're all walling up and consolidating their content. :(

It would be sad to see The Orville moved onto one of these. Discovery being behind locked doors is bad enough already.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Steve wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:05 pm
TGLS wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm Am I the only one who thought it was a little weird that the entire decision making process for the Humans was in the hands of the Admiralty? Not even lip service to the idea that there was a civilian government on Earth?
I got the feeling that they were debating how the Union fleet in particular would respond to the situation, and what recommendations they would give the civilian government. We can see that the Union fleet is widely respected among most worlds (save the Xelayans, and even then they'd likely acquiesce to advice on a security matter), so their recommendations would have a good chance of swaying a sharply divided Council.
Where did you get that from??? Civilian Government = Federation Council = United Nations in Spaaaace! All those Aliens at the comite meeting was not a clue? All those Aliens NOT wearing military uniforms was not a CLUE that they might be kinda sorta Civilian-ish?

Episode 9: timey-whimey graviton wave: Kelly from 7 years ago arrives. Hilarity ensues.

In the long ago time, a beautiful Countess said to George Bernard Shaw, "Mr Shaw, with your brains and my beauty, our baby would be awesome." GbS quipped back, "Indeed, your Excellency, but what if the baby had my beauty and your brains?"

SPOILER: Ed gives up on a shag for the sake of … reasons?
Reset button, status quo is god.
Unsatisfying ending: Audience know Kelly is safe; but Crew only know that she disappeared; Crew don't know ifn she be safe. That is SO reset button. Nice surprise ending
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
abki
Redshirt

Post by abki »

I'm really enjoying the Orville, I think it's maturing quite nicely. The surprise ending genuinely got me (not something that happens often), I'm looking forward to see the conclusion.

I really hope they get a third season, the writing may not be spectacular, but it's leagues ahead of the incomprehensible mess that is STD.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

No cliffhanger! Phew!

Can't guarantee someone else won't spoil it though.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

You got Star Wars in my Star Trek!

That could have been an entire season IMO.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

OK, I really, liked this season. I really, really liked the last two episodes. I think there is a big plot hole (she knew the Kaylons were hostile and if she's avoiding a bad future she really should have told someone, so the Orville should not have worked as a Trojan horse), but it didn't kill it for me. And the black hole physics was... Well, I was happy they mentioned gravitational time dilation at all, so I'll give it a pass.

I think I liked the past couple episodes more than the average of TNG, even if I think they haven't quite reached the peaks of that show.