Star Wars Vader Comic - OMG!

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Star Wars Vader Comic - OMG!

Post by Yukaphile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_jh_aV0rI

WTF is this crap? It's so cringe... this is the new canon? SERIOUSLY?! We traded Legends for this? A mostly serious collection of sci-fi staples to... another in-universe Vader fanboy? To a needlessly cruel death? Hell, I've seen better "Padme redeems Vader" fanfics than this... garbage. At least it's something new, I'll concede that, but... it literally made me, without hyperbole, cringe in horror as I watched it. OMG... those idiots, who are they thinking?! And people somehow think the new Disney-owned Star Wars is empowering for women? Creating Mary Sues?! This paints her as a fanatic stalker! Women get saddled with that crap way too much in today's world, and... bleargh. Ugh. I feel horribly unclean after watching this. I need to go take a shower and rinse my skin out with harsh soap. Ugh.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Actarus
Officer

Re: Star Wars Vader Comic - OMG!

Post by Actarus »

I found it very funny and a true "hommage" (sarcasm intended here) for all those fangirls who fall in love with characters like Draco Malfoy or other dark, edgy characters who are really just terrible.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's my point. It feels like cruel mockery, of both the fandom who hold the original trilogy up as legends, and calling out specific fans. It's nasty.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

You are overtly sensitive, likely because you feel adressed. I completely agree with Actarus.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I am sorry but if some one gets offended by mere work of fiction they need thicker skin. Personally I find it funny that they gave Vader his own Harley Quinn even if for while before he killed her because it was bothering him. She even looks like Harley Quinn. And yes, just like Madner Kami I also agree with Actarus.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Did Vader REALLY need a psychotic stalker for us to like him more? We already knew he was a badass.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Sigh. Find a mirror. Yell expletives at it for a while.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 pm Sigh. Find a mirror. Yell expletives at it for a while.
There is hope, the market is slowly working it's magic.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

If you're going to put women in stories, some of the women should screw up big time, and suffer for it. Women are human (or Vulcan or Twi'lek or... You know what I mean) and are just as capable as men of screwing up big time.

IMO, it would be sexist to show women being consistently less capable than the men -- except in cases where biology dictates, like lifting heavy objects, getting things from the top shelf, or using TV remotes. But having a female character who messes up isn't sexist, it's life.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm If you're going to put women in stories, some of the women should screw up big time, and suffer for it. Women are human (or Vulcan or Twi'lek or... You know what I mean) and are just as capable as men of screwing up big time.

IMO, it would be sexist to show women being consistently less capable than the men -- except in cases where biology dictates, like lifting heavy objects, getting things from the top shelf, or using TV remotes. But having a female character who messes up isn't sexist, it's life.
What about certain sports? It would not surprise me if the least athletic man would be way better at basketball compared to the least athletic woman...