TNG - "Up The Long Ladder"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: TNG - "Up The Long Ladder"

Post by Yukaphile »

You're forgetting the tankies. They're just as bad. :lol:

Getting back to topic, do you guys think this would have made a good Season 3 episode? Still, it almost would have been worth it just to have it be part of the Not-Suck Era of TNG. Because it's Season 2, most people overlook it, and just skip straight to Season 3. And so people don't remember it. But imagine if this had been exercised well, in Season 3? Discussions on immigration and abortion? OMG, heads would explode. Though that would be nice to dispel the myth that Trek has suddenly "gone SJW," when it was always meant to be SJW - it's just the writers nowadays are more ham-fisted than ever (Which is an impressive accomplishment) and just generally more incompetent than ever.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

pilight wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:08 pm The Mariposans appeared to have very basic cloning ability. They couldn't even vary the appearance of the clones. It's doubtful they had the capability of fixing blindness.
I dunno about that. They were able to make a fully formed 30something year old Riker in just a few hours. Right down to the exact beard & haircut no less. Sounds pretty advanced to me.

Now, the reason for this is obviously 'it's a TV show'; a petri dish with Riker's name on it wouldn't have much dramatic kick, after all. But if you really insist on an in-universe explanation, you could say that instead of growing new clones from cells, they instead print them fully formed.

Maybe that's why they can't figure out a way around the Xerox-effect. Perhaps all their doctors & biologists died in the accident, so the whole cloning thing was set up by some engineers who knew a lot about replicators, but nothing about genetics or the engineering thereof.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

TexasRed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 am Remember Conservative does = nazi and liberal does not = communists)
From context, I assume this is a rather amusingly ironic typo.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am You're forgetting the tankies. They're just as bad. :lol:

Getting back to topic, do you guys think this would have made a good Season 3 episode? Still, it almost would have been worth it just to have it be part of the Not-Suck Era of TNG. Because it's Season 2, most people overlook it, and just skip straight to Season 3. And so people don't remember it. But imagine if this had been exercised well, in Season 3? Discussions on immigration and abortion? OMG, heads would explode. Though that would be nice to dispel the myth that Trek has suddenly "gone SJW," when it was always meant to be SJW - it's just the writers nowadays are more ham-fisted than ever (Which is an impressive accomplishment) and just generally more incompetent than ever.
I think the meaning of the word sjw has changed over the years tbh.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Now it has the same meaning as those who scream "filthy libtard." It's a convenient buzzard to imply reactionary hate and an anti-intellectual agenda.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TachyonDrift
Redshirt

Post by TachyonDrift »

Geordi was born blind
Well, dang, yes. Got that wrong. I was absolutely certain the reason he freaks out in one episode was because of a fire.

Never mind. Might be the peril of building head-canon spaces.
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Post by TexasRed »

J!! wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 am
TexasRed wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 am Remember Conservative does = nazi and liberal does not = communists)
From the context, I assume this is a rather amusingly ironic typo.
You are correct and it has been fixed.

pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

TachyonDrift wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:41 pm
Geordi was born blind
Well, dang, yes. Got that wrong. I was absolutely certain the reason he freaks out in one episode was because of a fire.

Never mind. Might be the peril of building head-canon spaces.
The fire was before he got the first visor. He wouldn't let his parents out of earshot for a long while afterwards. He told this story in "Hero Worship".
TachyonDrift
Redshirt

Post by TachyonDrift »

The fire was before he got the first visor. He wouldn't let his parents out of earshot for a long while afterwards. He told this story in "Hero Worship".
Ah! Right, yes, so, wrong but not simply pulling it out of my rear. Thanks for the correction.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I take this opportunity to declare that I, also, am against racism.
The owls are not what they seem.