SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

Post by Yukaphile »

... true. But you already know I have my own inner demons, but intellectually I know what's wrong and what isn't, and seeing stuff like claiming a whole planet of billions of people deserved it... irks me. It's an SJW mindset, and... I slide that way from time to time.

Like I said, I'm dropping this. Please get back to topic.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

You can't just always run away from the issues you cause and the issues you have and demons need to be confronted, not left lingering. And noone said that billions of people deserved it.
Ikiry0 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:39 am I'll admit, TOR is the best argument about for 'Alderaan deserved it'
Those were the exact words. All it says is, that the impression that Alderaan leaves in TOR is one of a broken world full of terrible people, which is objectively true, because the decent people without a misguided loyalty or not-mind-controlled ones you meet on Alderaan can be counted on figuratively one hand (the other hand is occupied by counting the Sith Bodyguards as among the decent people of all). Alderaan is almost as bad as Balmora, except that it's lush greens and blues try to decieve you and it's this state of being that allows the Empire to wage it's shadow war on that world to boot.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Others have already started dedicated threads to me. If you wanna hash this out further, we could take it there.

And that's a few handful of accounts among... billions of people. I really do subscribe to the "not all" mentality, because I sincerely hate judging huge populations by the actions of a few, even a large few.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So that happened. Moving on...

Since he brought up the skull belt buckle in the actual text of the review and revealed there's a reason for it, I'm really wondering what the rationale is for the rest of the ensemble. What thought process ends with "giant robe, thigh high boots, bare legs"? It's no weirder than half the characters on any given server, but the first two he ran dressed much more conventionally.
Last edited by mathewgsmith on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

It's very Liefield style early 90's extreme comic book style outfit for sure. That might not had been Chuck's idea when he created his Sith warrior character but it sure does give me that feel.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Yeah, I think he was going for a superhero look.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

That or Nomura style designs from Final Fantasy games from Final Fantasy VII and onward. Then again superhero look is more likely since Chuck might not even know what Final Fantasy is.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Zefram Mann
Redshirt

Post by Zefram Mann »

I really need to get something off my chest.

The shear pervasiveness of the fat jokes that have not only been really off-putting and gross, but has really been coming off as lazy. Like, fat-jokes are some of the lowest-hanging fruit you can go for, and Chuck goes for it every single time. I used to show the review of the Agent storyline to fellow Star Wars fans because it was so clever and well-thought out, and the Inquisitor just felt less impressive(?), but still worth it. Now? It just feels like he doesn't even want to do it and he's just— phoning it in for the paycheck.

Getting back to the more personal aspect, there are a lot of people that have weight problems for a lot of reasons, from medical conditions, to being poor, to depression (all three of which I have to deal with), and seeing that constantly ridiculed is just makes me feel more and more like I'm unwelcome. Like if Chuck saw me in real life I'd be the butt of those same jokes once I'm out of earshot.

And if your defense is, "But it's Baras!", just stop. It's because it's Baras that you should have no shortage of material to work with. My God, he's a manipulative, scenery-chewing ham that has a comeback for every smart-ass thing you can say to him. It shouldn't be that hard to joke about something other than his waistline. More importantly it also normalizes that kind of crap. You make an exception for the villain and it makes it that much easier to justify it against someone else later on.

Jesus Christ, this was the review I was most looking forward to, and it's the one that is really turning me off to not only the reviews but Chuck himself. What a disappointment.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Zefram Mann wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:45 am I really need to get something off my chest.

The shear pervasiveness of the fat jokes that have not only been really off-putting and gross, but has really been coming off as lazy. Like, fat-jokes are some of the lowest-hanging fruit you can go for, and Chuck goes for it every single time. I used to show the review of the Agent storyline to fellow Star Wars fans because it was so clever and well-thought out, and the Inquisitor just felt less impressive(?), but still worth it. Now? It just feels like he doesn't even want to do it and he's just— phoning it in for the paycheck.

Getting back to the more personal aspect, there are a lot of people that have weight problems for a lot of reasons, from medical conditions, to being poor, to depression (all three of which I have to deal with), and seeing that constantly ridiculed is just makes me feel more and more like I'm unwelcome. Like if Chuck saw me in real life I'd be the butt of those same jokes once I'm out of earshot.

And if your defense is, "But it's Baras!", just stop. It's because it's Baras that you should have no shortage of material to work with. My God, he's a manipulative, scenery-chewing ham that has a comeback for every smart-ass thing you can say to him. It shouldn't be that hard to joke about something other than his waistline. More importantly it also normalizes that kind of crap. You make an exception for the villain and it makes it that much easier to justify it against someone else later on.

Jesus Christ, this was the review I was most looking forward to, and it's the one that is really turning me off to not only the reviews but Chuck himself. What a disappointment.
I think Chuck is a savage and would do it to your face.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Zefram Mann wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:45 amAnd if your defense is, "But it's Baras!", just stop. It's because it's Baras that you should have no shortage of material to work with.
True, Baras is very hammy.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox