Stargate SG-1: Hathor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Stargate SG-1: Hathor

Post by Yukaphile »

How was this a cheesy eighties Feminist episode? :shock:

I mean, there's a few problems with that. One, this was released in the late 1990s. And two, I consider myself Feminist, and I'm frankly turned off by the icky sexual violence here. But then, given what extreme Feminists have said before, maybe you're referring to them.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

why would a gould symbiote need to have sex with a human in order to birth more gould? if anything, wouldn't that just get the host pregnant?
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

Not really a surprising reaction but I expected him to be a lot harsher considering all the stupidity in the episode.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:20 pm There's no transportation. You can see her get up out of the tub and leave the room, and to me it even looks like there's a subtle effect showing her shield was operating. It's at the very end of this clip- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQT6tVkzld8
That's a good catch, no one else here saw it. Although my next question is: you cannot walk whilst using one. Those shields are stationary.

I dunno man, I am still going with early instalment weirdness.
Last edited by clearspira on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

J!! wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm why would a gould symbiote need to have sex with a human in order to birth more gould? if anything, wouldn't that just get the host pregnant?
One of the many reasons why EVERYTHING about this process was retconned. Egeria the To'kra was completely asexual.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Thank God. Seems more like the "the old gods were sexual pedos and rapists" mindset was trying to be adapted here, but... that needs very careful planning. And as Chuck noted, there was none.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Careful planning and subtlety. Both things that who ever wrote this episode clearly lacked.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Definitely not a fan of this episode. As a gay man, who has served in the USAF, I can just imagine the trauma I'd have gone through if I was stationed at the SGC and Hathor wanted me to 'love' her. Best not to think about.

Regarding the hybrids of Goa'uld, we at least get a somewhat decent storyline about that. They're essentially the SG1 equivalent of demigods, because they're humans with Goa'uld genetic memory, and are banned by the Goa'uld due to an innocent child having thousands of years of murder, rape, and other atrocities in their brain as well as all the technical knowledge they contain. As Daniel Jackson's vision showed, such knowledge would serve as such a huge temptation, even if coming from a good place, would lead to becoming a warlord, using their superscience to rule those under them. And the Goa'uld hate the idea of competition.

This is why the only one we see in the show is given to a Buddhist style monastery, becoming their style of monk, wherein he learns the ways of Ascension, learning the necessary steps of spiritual enlightenment to temper that knowledge and awareness so as to avoid becoming a raging trauma victim who eventually becomes ruler/destroyer of the galaxy.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

FaxModem1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:36 pm Definitely not a fan of this episode. As a gay man, who has served in the USAF, I can just imagine the trauma I'd have gone through if I was stationed at the SGC and Hathor wanted me to 'love' her. Best not to think about.

Regarding the hybrids of Goa'uld, we at least get a somewhat decent storyline about that. They're essentially the SG1 equivalent of demigods, because they're humans with Goa'uld genetic memory, and are banned by the Goa'uld due to an innocent child having thousands of years of murder, rape, and other atrocities in their brain as well as all the technical knowledge they contain. As Daniel Jackson's vision showed, such knowledge would serve as such a huge temptation, even if coming from a good place, would lead to becoming a warlord, using their superscience to rule those under them. And the Goa'uld hate the idea of competition.

This is why the only one we see in the show is given to a Buddhist style monastery, becoming their style of monk, wherein he learns the ways of Ascension, learning the necessary steps of spiritual enlightenment to temper that knowledge and awareness so as to avoid becoming a raging trauma victim who eventually becomes ruler/destroyer of the galaxy.
What I always thought was funny about the Harsesis child is that he was set up to be this galaxy changing threat due to all of that advanced Goa'uld knowledge in his brain... and yet when you think about it, a few seasons later when Earth has Asgard and Ancient tech coming out of our ears, he becomes laughably irrelevant due to just how comparatively primitive Goa'uld tech is.

I would very much liked him to have come back for an episode only for us to show no interest in him whatsoever and then watch as he goes off and joins the Lucian Alliance or something.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@FaxModem1 I'm sorry, friend. I understand how deeply uncomfortable that would be. Then again, would it even work on gay people? I mean, Hathor doesn't try on Carter presumably because she's straight, and it would fail.