SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

Post by hammerofglass »

After hearing the "great respect" riff in question I for one absolutely understand.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

"I took care of your nemesis, That treadmill won't be bothering you again."
Fantastic fat joke.

Gold star.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

The whole speech about conscription and the Republic's "army of slaves" . . . I think someone should tell Ripley the Sith Empire has actual, legalized slavery. Not that it means the Republic is justified just cuz the Sith are worse of course. Just . . . don't worry about the speck of sawdust in someone's eye when you have a plank of wood in your own eye.

Project Siantide sounds right up there with Starkiller Base when it comes to goofy science in SW. You expose a lot of dead people to radiation, and it turns them into energy? Leaving aside how that works . . . Taris is far from the only planet to undergo orbital bombardment in Legends. And there's been thousands of years of war. If this worked, you'd think the Empire would be mining Alderaan chunks after it was destroyed.

Also, "Ripley's Immortals"? Eh, you need a different name. Something that makes it more mysterious. After all, they'll be knives in the dark, their names only spoken in whispers. They'll be legends. We need a name that emphasizes their mythic nature. A monster that will kill you, even if you don't believe in monsters. Wait . . . I got it.

"Ripley's Believe It Or Not".
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:13 am Project Siantide sounds right up there with Starkiller Base when it comes to goofy science in SW. You expose a lot of dead people to radiation, and it turns them into energy? Leaving aside how that works . . . Taris is far from the only planet to undergo orbital bombardment in Legends. And there's been thousands of years of war. If this worked, you'd think the Empire would be mining Alderaan chunks after it was destroyed.
I guess...oil?

It comes across more appropriately, I think, if you play your warrior as totally meathead and disinterested. It plays out like that scene from the DBZA version of Broly.

"Well, Sith! You have uncovered my master plan!"

"...kaaaaay..."

"You're probably wondering how I orchestrated this?"

"...Not really I just-"

"YOU SEE!..."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

There's actually a fairly major plot hole with Project Siantide. After the quest you get an e-mail from the moff in the mission telling you that they've successfully reproduced the technology and put it into production for the Empire. It is then never mentioned ever again. The problem is that the benefits of Sianium technology are described exactly like Isotope 5 technology is, making the entire Imperial Makeb plotline a complete waste of time.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of these reviews have even mentioned that NPCs sometimes send you mail to tell you what happened after you left.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Especially that one email from Jaesa's parents that says something along the lines of, "We just got settled in on Dromund Kaas. We're supposed to meet with someone named Darth Baras tomorrow. I hope he's nice."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Based on what Chuck said about how Jaese is influenced by player's actions and what her extreme dark side version would be like made me rather intrigued by that extreme dark side version more than what Chuck got with his way of playing Sith Warrior.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

OK, Doctor Who is obvious, and The thick of it I can understand, but That Mitchell And Webb Look, a clip from Whoops Apocalypse in the Code Geass review and now Would I Lie To You? Is this stuff on some channel in the States, or are you mining YouTube for it, Chuck? :)
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:41 pm OK, Doctor Who is obvious, and The thick of it I can understand, but That Mitchell And Webb Look, a clip from Whoops Apocalypse in the Code Geass review and now Would I Lie To You? Is this stuff on some channel in the States, or are you mining YouTube for it, Chuck? :)
Doctor Who is on BBC America in the States so if he's watching it on that he's probably getting ads for those shows and thinking "huh; looks funny. I'll check it out".
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Anyone else worry that Chuck blurs the line between himself and his character in his narrations in these reviews?

Not so obvious in the Sith Inquisitor story, because in that most of the conflict was internal Sith Empire matters; but in Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent, he treats the Republic and the Jedi- or at least individual members thereof- as hypocritical or self-righteous and therefore, somehow, just as bad or worse than the Sith.

One thing for his characters to think like this, but a bit disturbing if that's his own worldview. He seems to see his characters as anti-villains who are trying to rise through the ranks and save their own neck without doing anything too evil and maybe hoping to reform it one day, but that's basically akin to trying to rise through the ranks of the Third Reich without doing anything too evil- it kind of overlooks the fact that the faction you are serving is rotten to the core and damn proud of it, and thinking that you can torture and murder in it's name for an ultimately selfish end and somehow be "less evil" than the ones trying to stop you because you find them hypocritical or annoying would only make these characters utterly delusional and full of B.S.

Fact is, your average sanctimonious or self-righteous Jedi or your typical ruthless and desperate Republican agent are nowhere near bad as the Warrior, Inquisitor or Agent are, yet the narration treats them as ten times worse, which realistically would be projection, denial or worse on the part of the POV characters, especially since we know that in-universe they definitely aren't going to make any positive difference and probably aren't even trying.

It's one thing if it's just the roles he is playing, another if he genuinely believes what he is saying- if that's the case, I'd rather he just let his characters be openly evil and revel in it, because the most annoying sort of hypocrite is the one who hates other hypocrites. Tu Quoque is a fallacy, not an excuse.

Allies bad- sometimes very bad, Nazi's still worse.

Republic and Jedi bad, Sith Empire still far, far worse.

Kind of want to see him play a Republic or Jedi character next time- if there is a next time- and see how he reacts to the Sith when they are the enemies.