Star Trek Into Darkness Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
dunebat
Redshirt

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Review

Post by dunebat »

If the score is "0" (and other holiday reviews are usually Zeroes, so I'm considering it a "0" in spirit), I've got to agree with Chuck on this one... not because I hate the Kelvinverse (and I used to), but because the film triggers certain internal emotional responses that I find difficult to quantify beyond the phrase "this repulses me".

This is going to sound obsessive (and it is, I fully admit; I'm afflicted by mild OCD, and it affects me in rather idiotic and annoying ways), but after seeing Star Trek Into Darkness the first time in theaters, I hated the film, but couldn't place my finger on why. As soon as it was released on DVD, I obtained the cheapest copy available (it completed my Star Trek film DVD collection) and watched it again. I had to know why I detested the movie as much as I did.

Then I watched it again...

And again...

By the eleventh time I subjected myself to the damn thing, my niece and nephews had begun worrying about my sanity. (I didn't, of course. I know I've never been sane, so there's nothing to worry about.) Nevertheless, by that time I'd come to the following conclusions:
  • In hindsight, the fact that the film was dedicated to the victims of the September 11th attacks should've been our first clue that the movie wasn't exactly a quality film. When a film written by a 9/11 Truther is dedicated to an event that was already a decade old at the time the film was released, buckle your seat belts and pray it's all over soon.
  • That opening bit with Nibiru was truly wretched. The Nibiru reference itself had me grinding my teeth, but the use of "cold fusion" had me biting down in frustration so hard I was worried I'd shatter my teeth if I didn't unclench my jaw. I don't know if the writers thought they were being cute, or if they were aiming for that '60s TOS kitch, overshot, and hit "fucking stupid" instead, but damn. That scene alone had me ready to leave the theater (and I've willingly watched Battlefield: Earth for the lulz). I had no idea it was foreshadowing how terrible the rest of the film was.
  • Loved the scene where Pike gives Kirk his due comeuppance for trying to hide what he'd done instead of owning up to it. (I should've realized the writers were trying to lull us into a false sense of security.) In all honesty, the rest of the film from this point to Khan's big reveal doesn't bother me all that much; some portions of it actually had me somewhat invested.
  • ...Then we had the stupid scene where McCoy is trying to open the torpedoes with Marcus. When an otherwise straightforward scene like this is drawn out in such an artificial manner, it smacks of "padding the runtime". (I get that you have to be careful when disarming/opening up a torpedo of any kind, but does the torpedo really need to grab Bones' arm to make the scene tense? That's just overkill. The fact that Bones was used for this scene at all screams, "Give Urban something to do or he's gonna threaten to renegotiate his salary again!")
  • Every scene from this point onward had me wishing I'd left the theater and asked for a refund for all the reasons Chuck mentioned and then some. Ripping off Spock's death from Wrath of Khan was bad enough, but having Kirk hopping around inside the warp engine like a damn video game character bopping about an unused map from Portal 2 is practically an outright desecration, as was Spock's reversal of the "Khan" scream. It wasn't cute. It wasn't clever. It wasn't well-thought out, or even thought-out at all. It was just plain stupid.
  • Spock chasing Khan bored me tremendously, and still does to this day. Maybe I'm jaded because I grew up in the era of modern CGI (Jurassic Park and Terminator 2 were released in my younger days, and I'm a trained graphics nerd, so I'm well-versed in spotting even the most realistic-looking CGI by now), but damn, do I miss the days when chase scenes like this looked and felt more realistic and tense. If you'd traded Spock and Khan with Stallone and Assante from Judge Dredd, the scene would've fit right in with that movie's overblown, mindless nonsense.
  • That's all surface stuff, of course. The film's total mishandling of its own themes, let alone the ruination of not only classic characters (the only characters that acted like professionals throughout the entire film were Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov; everyone else acted worse than merely "immature", and we're supposed to buy that these idiots are the astronauts of the future?), but of institutions as well (Section 31 is so out-in-the-open with their actions in the Bad Robot material that they may as well just retcon the whole "rogue agency" aspect away completely and admit they've made Starfleet into the Galactic Empire), made the entire experience feel like a headache-inducing trip through a 9/11 Truther's terrible Star Trek fanfic.
Don't get me wrong here; I may not have been much of a fan of the Kelvinverse, but I had a love-hate relationship with the original 2009 reboot that borders more on the "love" side than the "hate" side to this day, and I thought Star Trek Beyond was the best of the three. (Surprisingly, I loved that film.) I may not like the Kelvinverse concept, but if a movie is good enough, even if I hate the underlying concept, I'm along for the ride... and if it's well-written enough, a film whose core concept I despise can still, somehow, find its way onto my personal list of favorite films.

Star Trek Into Darkness is not such a film.

If it has a "0" rating, it has certainly earned it.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Rawbeard wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 pm there was an Into Darkness review? I... completely forgot. even now I am not entirely sure.
Weird, I completely missed it too.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Poipoi
Redshirt

Post by Poipoi »

dunebat wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 am
I wanted to like this. I think I watched this for Bones. I love the character. I do recall that I was waiting for the Khan/Spock fight to end so we could get to the obvious saving of Kirk. It was a relief to hear Chuck make the same points I felt about this movie.
dunebat
Redshirt

Post by dunebat »

Poipoi wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:05 pm
dunebat wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 am
I wanted to like this. I think I watched this for Bones. I love the character. I do recall that I was waiting for the Khan/Spock fight to end so we could get to the obvious saving of Kirk. It was a relief to hear Chuck make the same points I felt about this movie.
Bones was one of the film's bright points. Karl Urban has way too much fun with that role, and he's certainly a worthy successor to Kelley.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Jesus. Bones is my favorite character in TOS, but I just respectably don't understand broadness of Karl Urban's appeal. Granted that's easily justified by any one person's positive reaction to him. Note I don't dislike him or anything.
..What mirror universe?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I have to agree, Karl Urban makes his role work as Bones and a lot of what is to like in this movie.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wow, you're as OCD as me! I have at times obsessed over human crimes for four years. FOUR YEARS. Just... wow.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I like Urban as an actor, but I never took to him as Bones. This isn't his fault, but the writers'.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I enjoyed Urban's performance (he was the only one I could imagine as his TOS counterpart), and I enjoyed the music.

Outside of that, ET was better entertainment. And I mean the Atari 2600 version.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

ET? Like the movie?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords