Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Formless One
Officer

Re: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Post by Formless One »

Fourth Dimension wrote:Also this is probably my last response to Formless One since by now I'm pretty sure we both have equally entrenched diametrically opposed opinions probably to each of us VERY valid. So using this thread for something that would become a sho- VIGOROUS DISCUSSION about things not relevant to the original season would not be nice :D
This statement says far more about how closed minded you are than I am. You assume my position is entrenched-- why? Because my posts were long and detailed? That proves nothing. I just enjoy going deeper into a topic than many others, which is also why I don't have an enormous post count.
TBH, I'm not going to to go check out threads on some other random forum.
You are willing to post a thousand word rebuttal, but not willing to open a couple of urls and read what you see there? When this forum doesn't have spoiler tags and Spacebattles does?

You strike me as the kind of person who doesn't actually bother understanding something before talking about it. In this case, you argue that the changes to certain characters personalities is "character assassination", but if you had been willing to read my theory posted on Spacebattles you would know that those changes were made for a reason. You don't have to like the reason, but it isn't arbitrary like character assassination usually implies. Characters get changed in adaptation all the time, for various reasons. The question that you should be asking is whether the changes suited the story that the characters appeared in. But then, I know you are working on a fan translation of the games, so you are more invested in that story than most people in the fandom are. Recognizing your own biases helps prevent you from getting stuck in arguments you can't win.

I also explain why the story has a different kind of narrative than seasons 1 and 2. Its because its based on season 3, which was indeed "Mustache Twirling Villain hatches evil plan." Only it improves on that by giving the other antagonists more room for growth during the story. Not all Nanoha stories have to be exactly like season 2, you know, so long as they are tonally and thematically consistent. If they only ever told one story over and over again, it would get pretty stale, wouldn't it?

In fact, most of your arguments strike me as confusing personal opinion with rebuttal. I say that Nanoha forbids time travel for narrative reasons, you say well, to hell with narrative consistency, I find it plausible anyway because magic can do anything, QED. Except magic can't do anything. If it could it would render a story incoherent. And once you have decided that this is something it can't do, especially if it was a major theme in one story, then you can't back out of that decision. That is objectively bad storytelling. I say that the damage simulator robs tension from the fights in Vivid, and you turn around and say "do people have to DIE for there to be tension?" What? Strawman much. The inherent tension of whether the character will win or lose is one thing, but as a simple matter of fact, much of the appeal of boxing and MMA is indeed the risk of injury that fighters take upon themselves. And by the way, when you ask why they would allow a 12 year old to fight in such a tournament, I laugh, knowing that kids in this franchise are allowed to take on far riskier endeavors if they so choose. Or did you forget the age of the protagonist in season 1?

I can't ask you to like a character. I can't ask you to like a story premise. All I ask is that you be actually honest, and not say stupid things like this:
This is inspired by AMF? PFFFFFFFFFT. When have the one antagonist formula user suffered any real damage to a pure magic user?
We both saw the films, Fate only switched weapons briefly before getting Bardiche back-- and once she did she actually fared better in combat, not worse. Plus, when they take down the main villain, its with Nanoha and Fate's combo spell. In other words, you are seeing parallels to Force because you want to see parallels to Force. You haven't even considered whether the film takes any inspiration from season 3 at all. And you won't read the analysis I gave elsewhere, so you are completely unaware of what my argument is, yet you still think you can provide a rebuttal. Without clicking those links, you can't.
Have you actually read the manga or are you basing your things on the anime that maybe adapts 30% of the manga's run?
I have. All 102 chapters of it. And given my reading of the manga, I think you need to look up the definition of a cameo.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Formless One wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:10 am
Fourth Dimension wrote:Also this is probably my last response to Formless One since by now I'm pretty sure we both have equally entrenched diametrically opposed opinions probably to each of us VERY valid. So using this thread for something that would become a sho- VIGOROUS DISCUSSION about things not relevant to the original season would not be nice :D
This statement says far more about how closed minded you are than I am. You assume my position is entrenched-- why? Because my posts were long and detailed? That proves nothing. I just enjoy going deeper into a topic than many others, which is also why I don't have an enormous post count.
TBH, I'm not going to to go check out threads on some other random forum.
You are willing to post a thousand word rebuttal, but not willing to open a couple of urls and read what you see there? When this forum doesn't have spoiler tags and Spacebattles does?

You strike me as the kind of person who doesn't actually bother understanding something before talking about it. In this case, you argue that the changes to certain characters personalities is "character assassination", but if you had been willing to read my theory posted on Spacebattles you would know that those changes were made for a reason. You don't have to like the reason, but it isn't arbitrary like character assassination usually implies. Characters get changed in adaptation all the time, for various reasons. The question that you should be asking is whether the changes suited the story that the characters appeared in. But then, I know you are working on a fan translation of the games, so you are more invested in that story than most people in the fandom are. Recognizing your own biases helps prevent you from getting stuck in arguments you can't win.

I also explain why the story has a different kind of narrative than seasons 1 and 2. Its because its based on season 3, which was indeed "Mustache Twirling Villain hatches evil plan." Only it improves on that by giving the other antagonists more room for growth during the story. Not all Nanoha stories have to be exactly like season 2, you know, so long as they are tonally and thematically consistent. If they only ever told one story over and over again, it would get pretty stale, wouldn't it?

In fact, most of your arguments strike me as confusing personal opinion with rebuttal. I say that Nanoha forbids time travel for narrative reasons, you say well, to hell with narrative consistency, I find it plausible anyway because magic can do anything, QED. Except magic can't do anything. If it could it would render a story incoherent. And once you have decided that this is something it can't do, especially if it was a major theme in one story, then you can't back out of that decision. That is objectively bad storytelling. I say that the damage simulator robs tension from the fights in Vivid, and you turn around and say "do people have to DIE for there to be tension?" What? Strawman much. The inherent tension of whether the character will win or lose is one thing, but as a simple matter of fact, much of the appeal of boxing and MMA is indeed the risk of injury that fighters take upon themselves. And by the way, when you ask why they would allow a 12 year old to fight in such a tournament, I laugh, knowing that kids in this franchise are allowed to take on far riskier endeavors if they so choose. Or did you forget the age of the protagonist in season 1?

I can't ask you to like a character. I can't ask you to like a story premise. All I ask is that you be actually honest, and not say stupid things like this:
This is inspired by AMF? PFFFFFFFFFT. When have the one antagonist formula user suffered any real damage to a pure magic user?
We both saw the films, Fate only switched weapons briefly before getting Bardiche back-- and once she did she actually fared better in combat, not worse. Plus, when they take down the main villain, its with Nanoha and Fate's combo spell. In other words, you are seeing parallels to Force because you want to see parallels to Force. You haven't even considered whether the film takes any inspiration from season 3 at all. And you won't read the analysis I gave elsewhere, so you are completely unaware of what my argument is, yet you still think you can provide a rebuttal. Without clicking those links, you can't.
Have you actually read the manga or are you basing your things on the anime that maybe adapts 30% of the manga's run?
I have. All 102 chapters of it. And given my reading of the manga, I think you need to look up the definition of a cameo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
(meaning Formless One and Fifth Dimension's posts) :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK7ZF6jfJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6YBXLEYmQw
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

jstrahan wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
OK, I get what you're saying with the first vid link, but not entirely sure about the other two.
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

Post by Fourth Dimension »

Second might be a refference on my name and also kinda new agey gibberish, and third is I think DEEEEEEEEEEP lore.
[url=https://discord.gg/WhuNjQj]Midchilda: Nanoha Discord server[/url]
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

Edvarius wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:41 pm
jstrahan wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
OK, I get what you're saying with the first vid link, but not entirely sure about the other two.
Yeah, posting a link to Age of Aquarius is literally the definition of making no sense at all, because there is no sense to be made from that song. And I think the third video link is supposed to insinuate that I took this username from Destiny 2, which seems rather pointless, but in fact I've been using this name online since 2007, ten years before Destiny 2. Here's my FF.net page for proof: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1423609/Formless-One

As for video 1, look, I'm not asking him to come back here and continue arguing with me. I'm not that entitled, and I certainly can't force him to. I'm merely pointing out that his rationale comes off as insulting, and sounds like a classic case of projection. Also, just because he's leaving the argument alone doesn't mean I have to. I post for the benefit of others who might be interested in the rebuttal to his points, not just him. And if everything I said sounds to you like gibberish... GOOD. We aren't trying to be understood by anyone who hasn't seen the later Nanoha material. That's why he said he would only talk in allusions, and I have been doing much the same.

Also, may I just say that simply writing down your thoughts takes no more effort than seeking out videos on youtube to express them for you, and is far more coherent as a method of communication. I don't understand why people try and communicate in memes as if everyone will understand them. Bit of a pet peeve I have with internet culture of today.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

FYI: The first link refers to the 'gibberish' that most people, other than the two parties involved, think of these rants.
The second link just refers to Fourth Dimension's name. Age of Aquarius was a song by the group The Fifth Dimension (get it?)
The third link has no connection to Destiny at all. It was just a humorous link referring to Formless One's name.
:)
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... okay, wow, I never expected him to review this... that said, I'm not a huge fan of how the dub presented Arf's entrance onto the scene in Episode 5, presenting her murder threat to Nanoha as less hardcore predator-prey stuff, and more like "I'm a big bad animal and I'll bite you!" It's so ironic he's covering this, because recently I've wrote my first few series of fanfiction vignettes revolving around, um... that scene, lol. It's amazing no one has ever written those stories before. I am the first. Same way I was the first to write up a Birdy the Mighty/Dragon Ball and Birdy/Yu Yu Hakusho crossover. If anyone is curious about reading, I can link you to them. Anyway, this makes me wonder if somebody will request Yu Yu Hakusho, the full dub? HOW I CAN DREAM!
Last edited by Yukaphile on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

While we're on the subject of Nanoha, when my best friend first introduced me to it in 2012, I was very disturbed how the TSAB functions kind of like... ONI on steroids. Chrono basically admits that in the TSAB system, they have no qualms with locking nine-year-old girls up for hundreds of years... treating underage kids like full-blown adults. It's really questionable. It also feels like they were manipulating her to try and join. Fate gets probation, a minor, an extreme minor, while... Admiral Graham just "resigns." The TSAB just struck me as very corrupt and set in their ways, and it bothered me, right up until 2013 where I learned about the dub change line to Arf in Episode 5, and then that drew my criticism more, and still does, lol. In any and all fanfiction where the TSAB appears, I fully intend to portray them as like the Time Lords of Doctor Who. Elitist to the core, and full of very questionable policies which need to be challenged. I also will refuse to let Arf's intentions pass scot-free. It's only given two mentions in the episode it first appears in, and we never find out if she actually meant it or would have done it in the context of the early series, Nanoha doesn't act particularly afraid or seems to take it all that seriously, and when the time comes that Arf comes over to our side, it is given no further elaboration and she never even frickin' apologizes. :roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Fourth Dimension
Redshirt

Post by Fourth Dimension »

Well for one, power can come to kids reaaaaly early (Nanoha can level cities at 9), so it's not too surprising that they tend them to higher accountability than we'd expect.

On the other hand ages are pretty much the artifact of this going for the Magical Girl genre where protagonists tend to be young, except nobody here really behaves their age so one can pretty much use the +5 or even +10 rule (add 5 years to any age) on pretty much anyone.

And finally TOS weirdness, pretty much anything in ToS can be suspect from angle of cannonicity given that they didn't seem to have a grasp on the world or it changed by the time of later seasons. For one, given the hundreds of years sentences, it seems they were running with the "mages have long lives" tropes which is discarded later.

Graham wise, I never had a too big problem with that one. Given what he knew and he has had the trauma of dealing with that incident a LOT in his life, his solution while harsh if not for an incredible number of coincidences that happened in A's that allowed for an alternative solution to be attempted.
[url=https://discord.gg/WhuNjQj]Midchilda: Nanoha Discord server[/url]
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

True, but they still have a limited life experience. It's like in Dragon Ball Z, except Gohan was actually sort of drafted. I don't get those vibes here.

Exactly. Don't behave their age. Nanoha doesn't look afraid by Arf's murder threat (when that's like one of childhood's greatest fears, probably a primal instinctive holdover from our tribal days), and the TSAB wants to lock up kids under ten for hundreds of years. It's horrifying. I can see why in some material like BetrayerS they painted the TSAB as a corrupt force. I always felt that way.

So is the movie more canon? I do know in the movie, Yuuno was shoved to the side. The poor bastard. Me and my friend are planning a MEGA-CROSSOVER, shoving every series we know of into it, and one thing we intend to do is show off the fandom's dream of NanoFate as a couple, and they are EVIL. They kidnapped their world's Yuuno and tortured him, and the protagonist Fate and Nanoha find him, and unleash hell on them.