Short Treks - "Calypso"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AuRon
Officer

Re: Short Treks - "Calypso"

Post by AuRon »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm I was already predisposed to dislike STD right from the off (I have a thing about the name "Michael", which put my back up right from the getgo, it is complicated and personal
Not sure if I should be offended by that? Of course, there are a couple names that I have negative associations with myself, which might make things a little awkward if I see a character with that name. But I generally don't say what those names are, since there will often be someone on a site/board with one of those names (they're pretty common).
Last edited by AuRon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:51 am This was the short that every viewer I've heard from liked. I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but the reaction to it I've seen was overwhelmingly positive, even from viewers who hate Discovery.

I didn't know the short's writer was going to head up Picard. Interesting and positive news indeed.
I really enjoyed it, as a standalone episode it is pretty wonderful.

As part of Star Trek, it shows problems, and those problems make me concerned about Chabon's involvement with Picard. Putting in that sort of unrelated hint at a dark future on a whim doesn't bode well for him being a showrunner on a Star Trek series.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

I have not seen this episode. Most people I've followed online seemed to think it was the best STD episode. Not featuring any STD regulars probably helped.

The only YouTuber I followed who didn't like it was Doomcock.

From what I've heard, from Chuck and others, it sounds like an interesting story. But I don't like most of the implications. Some sort of space post apocalypse seems like the most unStar Trek thing they could come up with. OTOH, Discovery being told to go wait in some remote corner of the galaxy and never being spoken of again is something I find amusing.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Isn't "post apocalypse" a bit strong? What this episode tells us is that 1) the Federation is still around in the future, and it still cares about preserving cultural artifacts like Betty Boop, and 2) there's a group of humans that hates them. That's not in and of itself any more apocalyptic than DS9 post "The Maquis."
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

If the Federation as we know it has not completely collapsed, then Discovery will be a relic incapable of competing with any space fairing power. Do you really think they will write a story where their ship and crew will not be special?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm fine if the Federation has collapsed. Sure, one might see it as "pissing on your nostalgia" that Lucasfilm did, but honestly, governments rise and fall, and the Federation was hardly the perfect utopia people think it is. Hell, I'd be curious what kind of world that would be... now granted, those in charge could still be idiots, but there's many ways to achieve this. The Dominion, naturally, would be a logical choice. But, hey, I'm not against the Feds collapsing on principle.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

That was actually the premise of a rather interesting fan series I read back in the early 2000s which was set in the far future aboard an advanced Starfleet ship in a time after the Federation has collapsed.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Marco had that idea in Animorphs. And it was the Dominion who broke them up.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:51 am This was the short that every viewer I've heard from liked. I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but the reaction to it I've seen was overwhelmingly positive, even from viewers who hate Discovery.
Oh, brother, have I got something for you then.

I 100% disagree, respectfully, with Chuck about this episode (and 100% disrespectfully with Chabon too). I was already predisposed to dislike STD right from the off (I have a thing about the name "Michael", which put my back up right from the getgo, it is complicated and personal, and making her a personification of the fanfic trope of secret Spock's sister -god, I have seen so many of those fics- did the character no favours too) so it was always going to be a tough sell; and the show seemed to delight in showing every single thing I hated about later Trek short of a gratuitous Borg appearance.

This though, this, this, this...

Is made of pure spite to anyone who didn't fall at the feet of STD's greatness. It can fuck right off, with its Andromeda prologue shite. It can fuck right off with the whole Discovery will be here forever arse strip on underwear fuckitude. It can take its dancing with an AI rip off back to the Robocop tv series too. And if the architect behind this midden cloud of dung flies is behind the new Picard series, then I don't think even Patrick Stewart can save it. This is beyond worst of the worst, this goes into the same bin as the Animated episode which shall not be named, and every section 31 story except Inter Armin Something Something, a bin for episodes so bad that not even Threshold achieved it. I despised this thing.

In short; the only reason I would not use the script for this episode for toilet paper, is because it was already covered with shite.

I didn't like it.

This is seriously pathetic.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

BunBun299 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 am If the Federation as we know it has not completely collapsed, then Discovery will be a relic incapable of competing with any space fairing power. Do you really think they will write a story where their ship and crew will not be special?
What makes you think that one ship needs to be capable of taking on an entire space-faring power on its own, anyway? I know Voyager tended to do that, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to do things.

Perhaps they're going to take a stab at making the show that we all wished Voyager and Enterprise had been.