Does anyone feel Londo and G'Kar's "friendship" was too quick?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Does anyone feel Londo and G'Kar's "friendship" was too quick?

Post by Yukaphile »

No, really, it seems to come out of nowhere near the end of Season 4.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Does anyone feel Londo and G'Kar's "friendship" was too quick?

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Not to me. Londo and G'Kar both saw that their actions had nearly led to the ruin of their civilizations, and that kind of shakes someone up a little.

G'Kar pushed the Centauri Republic until they pushed back, and that was never going to go well for the Narns, Shadows or not. Londo's drive to bring the Centauri back to their glory days caused their being subject to the Shadows and almost lost them their homeworld. They also helped each other win back their civilizations, with G'Kar helping with Cartagia's fortunate demise and Londo withdrawing the Centauri from the Narn homeworld in return.

Even after that, G'Kar wanted nothing to do with Londo for a while.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Nevertheless, they go from sharing a few drinks, to G'Kar's insistence it won't be "on the same page" or something, then they attend a few Council meetings, and then... endgame. :?:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

There is a lot of time between those events, and they do interact off screen.

Ultimately G'Kar forgave Lando, and Lando understood G'Kar's position for all those years. They connected in a way few other leaders like themselves would so they did become friends of a sort.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I heard it was because they canceled Season 5, and JMS had to rush to get it all wrapped up.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Yes, it's very rushed. Like everything about season 4 (they were told the 4th season would be the last...and then at the last minute found out they got extended a fifth season). Their relationship is presented more normally in season 5 with some tension. And the moment when G'kar actually forgives Londo still gets me misty all these years later.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I have seen that too. Still, it shows. This is the drawback to writing the whole narrative and trying to deal with network suites. It might get shut down. And then I hear JMS lost his notebook, omg... and the "Sex After Ever" ending, while okay, still strikes me as... wow. Lise throws herself at Garibalid even though she's a widow who just LOST HER HUSBAND LIKE A WEEK AGO. :shock: And then G'Kar spies on Delenn and Sheridan, omg...
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Yeah, not gonna disagree with you. G'kar's sexual perversity hasn't been brought up since season 1 to make it odder.

btw, what anime is this Yuka character from?
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, yeah, no kidding.

Elfen Lied. Poor girl gets so abused by the fandom for hypocritical reasons, in adhering to her culture norms, and stuff they worship in "dear Lucy" but hate in her, which Lucy takes to worse extremes. I love Lucy, but I don't like the hypocrisy. And I love Yuka. :)

She's my favorite girl in all of fiction, much less anime.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Kinky Vorlon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:22 pmG'kar's sexual perversity hasn't been brought up since season 1 to make it odder.
To be fair, he kind of had a lot on his plate during those middle seasons.