The Brexit Election

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Brexit Election

Post by clearspira »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:58 pm americans know very little about not being parts of empires.
The amount of people who masturbate over your flag every July 4th would seem to suggest otherwise.
CmdrKing wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:58 pm We know a little bit about the merits of geographically diverse,nominally-independent states banding together to craft a system of shared trade, free travel, and consistency of law though. Heck, most of our problems arise from not being better at that last one.
Geographically diverse,nominally-independent states banding together to craft a system of shared trade, free travel, and consistency of law... united under a single flag run by a small group of men unaccountable to most that seeks to wipe out the sovereignty of nations and replace them with a federal superstate with its own army and currency.

You can have the first without the latter. And you know what? We did. Back when this whole idea came about forty odd years ago. But since then it morphed into something that no one in Britain was given a say on for the simple reason that they knew that half the population would say no.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

The amount of people who masturbate over your flag every July 4th would seem to suggest otherwise.
That's how you know most Americans are extremely into empires, yes.
Geographically diverse,nominally-independent states banding together to craft a system of shared trade, free travel, and consistency of law... united under a single flag run by a small group of men unaccountable to most that seeks to wipe out the sovereignty of nations and replace them with a federal superstate with its own army and currency.

You can have the first without the latter. And you know what? We did. Back when this whole idea came about forty odd years ago. But since then it morphed into something that no one in Britain was given a say on for the simple reason that they knew that half the population would say no.
So if the UK were to fully leave the EU, they'd still allow EU citizens to enter the country without customs and to remain indefinitely without prejudice or monitoring?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm

I keep trying to find logic in what you said. Masturbating over a flag is evidence of a love of empires.

Nope, not seeing it. Which is not exactly shocking.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Really doesn't have to be all that different from personally endorsing sports teams to the extents people do.

That being said, making it an all inclusive thing to the extent that protesting in the face of it is akin to disrespecting the soldiers that fight under it is problematic.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nigel Ferage managed to score an interview with Donald Trump today - and he endorsed Boris Johnson for PM whilst badmouthing the opposition.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm

So if the UK were to fully leave the EU, they'd still allow EU citizens to enter the country without customs and to remain indefinitely without prejudice or monitoring?
Do I need to clarify that I am referring to the fact that your country overthrew the British Empire as the reason why you know a lot about not wanting to be part of an empire? At no point did I say you love empires.

Leaving the EU is not the same as leaving Europe.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Nigel Ferage managed to score an interview with Donald Trump today - and he endorsed Boris Johnson for PM whilst badmouthing the opposition.
Vote Johnson get Trump yes that's going to go down well with people.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:10 pm Do I need to clarify that I am referring to the fact that your country overthrew the British Empire as the reason why you know a lot about not wanting to be part of an empire? At no point did I say you love empires.
The United States left the British Empire and, within a generation, began to acquire new lands, genocide native populations, and begin to acquire colonies.

Y'know, became an Empire. In which context kneejerk support for the military and flag-jizzing levels of patriotism make complete sense, since that's the sort of mentality empires want in their citizenry (so as to make looking down on the colonized peoples easier)
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I believe that's the espoused constitutional approach of "do what I say, not as I do."
..What mirror universe?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Hmmm. Seems to me that non-empires could also have lots of patriotism. I think "Lots of patriotism" = "empire" is still less than logical.