Is it just me or is there More Marketing for The Mandalorian than The Rise of Skywalker?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Is it just me or is there More Marketing for The Mandalorian than The Rise of Skywalker?

Post by Winter »

At the time of this writing, there has been all of 3 trailers for TROS since the film was announced. I can't find or recall any cast interviews, no Behind the Scenes Footage and only 3 TV Spots (all of which are just shorter versions of the films trailers).

Meanwhile the Mandalorian has gotten 2 trailers, at least 1 cast and crew interview, a Behind the Scenes video and at least 10 TV Spots so far. Sure, Mandalorian is just around the corner but TROS is suppose to be the Grand Finally of the Skywalker Saga and is now going to be the last Star Wars film released for the next few Years it seems. Why not put as much marketing into the supposed final installment of the series as possible?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Is it just me or is there More Marketing for The Mandalorian than The Rise of Skywalker?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Two things, I get the minimalist approach for something as coveted as a Star Wars episode. I can't really explain it, but it says something I think with how much they don't try to publicize it. Let it speak for itself. edit: I think they know that people are curious what happens, especially with Dark Rey.

The other thing that makes sense to me is that the show is expected to be a main draw for subscriptions. You can't have a streaming service without an original show really, so it's not just marketing for that product, but the platform as well.
..What mirror universe?
Winter
Captain

Re: Is it just me or is there More Marketing for The Mandalorian than The Rise of Skywalker?

Post by Winter »

Yeah, but Force Awakens got TWICE the amount of marketing when it first game out, same thing with The Last Jedi and Rogue One. A ton of money was put into marketing for those films and yet TROS actually seems to have less marketing then Solo or even the Clone Wars Movie did.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Winter wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:17 am Yeah, but Force Awakens got TWICE the amount of marketing when it first game out, same thing with The Last Jedi and Rogue One. A ton of money was put into marketing for those films and yet TROS actually seems to have less marketing then Solo or even the Clone Wars Movie did.
Part of it I would say would be in keeping thematic presentation of the film. I see it as a means of keeping tension strong and in the dark.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

We'll probably see a lot more marketing for Skywalker after The Mandalorian drops next week. No sense competing with themselves for audience attention.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 am We'll probably see a lot more marketing for Skywalker after The Mandalorian drops next week. No sense competing with themselves for audience attention.
Fair enough, it was just something I noticed.
MissAshleyJ
Redshirt

Post by MissAshleyJ »

Mandalorian is one of the selling points of Disney+, while Episode IX is going to make money hand over foot anyway.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Seems to me that they've been doing some pretty late work on E9, probably thanks to those leaks that came out a while back, so that probably has something to do with it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

It is probably just you.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

They will start marketing Rise of Skywalker with full force when time comes. Which is why they now focus on The Mandelorian so it does make sense.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard