Doctor Who- Face the Raven.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AllanO
Officer

Re: Doctor Who- Face the Raven.

Post by AllanO »

In today's episode of hey I know a thing, I would point out that presumably the place is called a "trap street" because that is a term for a street added to a map that does not exist as a way to catch up a competitor just mindlessly copying your map (which apparently was a thing although its efficacy seems dubious). This "trap street" would almost be a reverse trap street as it would actually exist and have been on older maps and then dropped off later maps, but presumably people would have gone "hey that street is not on the newer map, it must have been a trap street that they eliminated when they did an updated map." hence the name. For all I know all this was explained in the episode as I never saw it. Possibly there is some other in-universe reason for calling it a trap street. This concludes today's episode of hey I know a thing...

Just a comment on the episode summary maybe I missed it but it is not clear how they know they are looking for a missing street, presumably something the guy or his phone retained from the incident clued them in? It is a slightly confusing way to summarize events, but on the other hand I don't really think these summaries in these reviews need to be that complete, so yeah...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:38 pm
MerelyAFan wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 am As far as Clara I think it was a dual problem of Moffat's sheer burnout (running DW and Sherlock and involved in stuff like the Tintin movie is going to wear on him after a while) and that it felt like over time he was gradually interest in writing for the Doctor vs. writing for her. That would be fine, except that Moffat's strengths were always more in writing the title character ...
I think it was more that over time it became apparent that Moffat only ever had one good idea, and that was the short story Continuity Errors, which he just kept repeating over and over and over again with minor alterations. He was good at writing that specific timey-wimey plot twist and nothing else.
And the Angels AKA the most iconic villains Modern Who has introduced. So, you know, a TWO-trick pony.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:02 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:38 pm
MerelyAFan wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:11 am As far as Clara I think it was a dual problem of Moffat's sheer burnout (running DW and Sherlock and involved in stuff like the Tintin movie is going to wear on him after a while) and that it felt like over time he was gradually interest in writing for the Doctor vs. writing for her. That would be fine, except that Moffat's strengths were always more in writing the title character ...
I think it was more that over time it became apparent that Moffat only ever had one good idea, and that was the short story Continuity Errors, which he just kept repeating over and over and over again with minor alterations. He was good at writing that specific timey-wimey plot twist and nothing else.
And the Angels AKA the most iconic villains Modern Who has introduced. So, you know, a TWO-trick pony.
The Angels time wimey attack method is rooted in Continuity Errors plot too. They are just another variation on it.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

He also wrote The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances, which was probably 9's best story.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Agree, but maybe he better as a gun for hire than someone who works full time.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Based on what I am reading here, can we say that Moffatt fits Chucks view of Brannon Braga? A man who is not a bad writer so much as a hack one who lost all quality control the moment he found himself writing the bulk of the episodes.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:22 pm Based on what I am reading here, can we say that Moffatt fits Chucks view of Brannon Braga? A man who is not a bad writer so much as a hack one who lost all quality control the moment he found himself writing the bulk of the episodes.
I wouldn't say he a back, he does try he just seem more skill ok crafting a few good episode as oppose to 10 every year.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

There was once time when show runner wasn't main writer of show but instead was in charge of bunch of writers who wrote for show. Let's be honest, none of us could keep producing high quality scrips either if we had to do so weekly and within tight deadline. Anyone who think sthat they would do any better are either lying or delusional.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:21 pm There was once time when show runner wasn't main writer of show but instead was in charge of bunch of writers who wrote for show. Let's be honest, none of us could keep producing high quality scrips either if we had to do so weekly and within tight deadline. Anyone who think sthat they would do any better are either lying or delusional.
I personally feel the show runners shouldn't be writing the story every week but they should be the one to insure quality to the ones who do.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Look I agree with that. Having one person being both in charge of show and writing for it isn't way to do it. Instead it's just better to allow several writers to write different episodes under show runner so that one person doesn't have all that burden on himself or herself. I don't really know when whole "show runners as show writers" started but it's not good thing.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard