The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Archanubis
Officer

The Orville

Post by Archanubis »

Trailer 1

ComicCon Trailer

I will have to say, I'm not a fan of MacFarlane's work, but this does look worth checking out. Probably more so than Star Trek: Discovery.
Robovski
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by Robovski »

Exactly how I feel; it feels more like a light-hearted Trek than Discovery feels like a what? Grim Trek? Certainly not regular Trek. Now I'm picturing the Grim-Dark Trek of the 23rd century...
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

Robovski wrote:Exactly how I feel; it feels more like a light-hearted Trek than Discovery feels like a what? Grim Trek? Certainly not regular Trek. Now I'm picturing the Grim-Dark Trek of the 23rd century...
In the grimdark future of the 23rd century, there is only war. And lizard-Klingons.

On a tangential note, a Ciaphas Cain TV series would be amazing.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

i remember hearing some time ago about a rumored Galaxy Quest series in the works, i wonder if this started as that. it's certainly got the right look for galaxy quest.

it's just a shame that none of the jokes are funny.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Looks good, just hope they haven't put all the good jokes in the trailer.
ScreamingDoom wrote: On a tangential note, a Ciaphas Cain TV series would be amazing.
I'm not sure, part of the appeal of the Cain books is Cain's viewpoint/observations, the footnotes and the supplementary material inserted by Vail; a Cain series would likely have to strip those out and thus would lack a significant part of the books' humour. Although I suppose on the other hand, the format would allow us to see what the other characters get up to when he's not around.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

But we already have a show about an underqualified white man who somehow gets to captain a starship. It was called Enterprise. *rimshot*
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

ScreamingDoom wrote:
Robovski wrote:Exactly how I feel; it feels more like a light-hearted Trek than Discovery feels like a what? Grim Trek? Certainly not regular Trek. Now I'm picturing the Grim-Dark Trek of the 23rd century...
In the grimdark future of the 23rd century, there is only war. And lizard-Klingons.

On a tangential note, a Ciaphas Cain TV series would be amazing.
That sounds like DS 9.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I've never really liked MacFarlane's humor. I liked the "I loosened it for you" joke and that was about it. There are only so many times the characters can go, "Well, isn't this awkward?"
But it is just a trailer. I've cut the cord, but if it comes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime I'll give 'er a go.
And having it come out on Netflix would be kind of fun in other ways. I'd pay all the money I saved cord-cutting to be a fly on the wall when they tell CBS.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

OK, FWiW, I saw the second trailer, and I liked that one a lot better. Still, just a trailer.
Dukect45
Redshirt

Post by Dukect45 »

Arkle wrote:But we already have a show about an underqualified white man who somehow gets to captain a starship. It was called Enterprise. *rimshot*
So much truth here
www.talkshoe.com/tc/92417 the Dukect Lounge were I talk Wrestling and other stuff

and I do Wrestling PPV reviews and other stuff here www.dailymotion.com/Dukect