Renegade Cut on "Berman Trek"

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Tanan
Redshirt

Re: Renegade Cut on "Berman Trek"

Post by Tanan »

The only issue I really have with the video is that he puts Roddenberry on too much of a pedestal, clearly as a direct contrast to Berman.
But aside from that, a lot of the stuff covered in the video lines up with things I have heard/read over the years from interviews and conventions, so I cannot really disagree with what is being presented in the video.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Tanan wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:23 pm The only issue I really have with the video is that he puts Roddenberry on too much of a pedestal, clearly as a direct contrast to Berman.
But aside from that, a lot of the stuff covered in the video lines up with things I have heard/read over the years from interviews and conventions, so I cannot really disagree with what is being presented in the video.
Tell you the truth it's pretty surprising he gave Roddenberry a bit of a break. I mean I'm personally not of the mind to necessarily define him by his failings, and I guess also the video is about Berman, but he does go so far as to embrace Roddenberry's legacy (not sure if legacy entails specifically the prominent misdoings, but anyhoo).

And I think ultimately that it's pretty fitting. I'm also not of the mind to dismiss progressive critiques of landmark showrunners etc but sometimes they just happen to have invented Star Trek.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Imperator-zor
Redshirt

Post by Imperator-zor »

Honestly I feel that part of the reasons why he did not give Gene as much of rundown is that he's not effectively a Star Trek PhD like Chuck is.

Zor
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

As far as the Crusher episode, seeing that for the first time recently, and boy what a way to tie up a lover-of-the-week plotline. In truth, speaking for Crusher herself, it's a totally understandable aboutface considering that we still very much embrace someone's desire to be homosexual as well as heterosexual, exclusively or not no doubt. I kind of predetermined flags to be called, but she specifically doesn't come off bigoted or anything.

I'm telling you, McFadden kills it with the leading actress quality. In fact, she crushes it.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MrL1992 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:41 pmBerman really didn't like interesting background music! If you were to ask me to name an improvement the Kurtzman-era has brought, music would be right up there.
Absolutely crazy and impossible to understand, given how much music can tell about a scene or situation. Think about "Balance of Terror" without the Romulan theme, Klingons without their music from the Motion Picture or early TNG without... I forgot his name and can't check right now. -.-
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:50 pm Absolutely crazy and impossible to understand, given how much music can tell about a scene or situation. Think about "Balance of Terror" without the Romulan theme, Klingons without their music from the Motion Picture or early TNG without... I forgot his name and can't check right now. -.-
Ron Jone (on TNG)

According to 'The Fifty Year Mission', Berman claims not to have fired him but more that he was let go sort via committee. That other staff members, along with Berman, decided to go with other composers.

Even if true, he still doesn't explain why all the background music of his tenure was so consistently bland.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

MrL1992 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:35 pm
Ron Jone (on TNG)

According to 'The Fifty Year Mission', Berman claims not to have fired him but more that he was let go sort via committee. That other staff members, along with Berman, decided to go with other composers.

Even if true, he still doesn't explain why all the background music of his tenure was so consistently bland.
Never understood at all why they got rid of him, his work was outstanding. Thankfully he done other Star Trek projects, albeit for video games. Even his score that he worked on jointly with Brian Luzetti for the Starfleet Academy game was by far better than virtually every score on TV after his departure.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

We might never know why they got rid of him. Either way it hurt Berman era ST.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Tanan wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:23 pm The only issue I really have with the video is that he puts Roddenberry on too much of a pedestal, clearly as a direct contrast to Berman.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm Tell you the truth it's pretty surprising he gave Roddenberry a bit of a break. I mean I'm personally not of the mind to necessarily define him by his failings, and I guess also the video is about Berman
I think that was really bothering me. It's lying by omission in a way that just feels like a double-standard. It's creating a thesis and then finding an argument to fit it and crafting a video around that, leaving out anything that would contradict it, even if it means you're manufacturing the final image which is presented as "factually-based".
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

I don't helped Trek's perception during its decline. It was gaining a reputation for predictability and being slow to take risks. Having a bland score would have only fed into that image.