SG-1: Nightwalkers

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: SG-1: Nightwalkers

Post by CrypticMirror »

I see everybody else thought that this was an X-files script that just got retooled for SG1 too? Honestly, it feels far more X-files than it does Stargate. Anyways, this is an episode that exists. I've seen it once and see no need to ever go back to it again. It is fine. It isn't bad, it isn't memorable, it just is.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

No mention of the fact that the police chief has a vampire detective working under him?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

It always seemed like too much that the NID was always both morally bankrupt AND completely incompetent. That feels like just stacking the deck in our heroes' favor.
Freeverse
Officer

Post by Freeverse »

I can't believe you are all such GULLIBLE SHEEP! Everyone is saying they have nothing to disagree with in this review? really? There's NOTHING?

Alright, fine. If none of you COWARDS have the guts, then I'LL say it!

... thats not how you pronounce oregon

Jokes aside, I think the problem with Jonas was that there's an interesting character there, but the writers struggled to bring him out in the stories most of the time. There are little things here and there that reflect his encyclopedic knowledge/eidetic memory and his outsider status, but it was mostly limited to the little things, and he was never really given a compelling character journey. He's pretty much the same exact person he was when he joined the team right up until he leaves.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Freeverse wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:48 am Jokes aside, I think the problem with Jonas was that there's an interesting character there, but the writers struggled to bring him out in the stories most of the time. There are little things here and there that reflect his encyclopedic knowledge/eidetic memory and his outsider status, but it was mostly limited to the little things, and he was never really given a compelling character journey. He's pretty much the same exact person he was when he joined the team right up until he leaves.
I generally think that SG-1 lacked enough of a recurring/supporting cast.
I get that it is much lighter in tone and character death is less common and less traumatic, but guys like Jonas they were like you said, fine characters that never really went anywhere.

I kind of want to do what lots of people do and compare this to "Battlestar" where they had vast even massive supporting casts that could be killed, new characters introduced, no one really had a main character shield aside from Adama. It allowed them to have characters that had been around for multiple seasons to do shocking things or suddenly get shot or shoot themselves. DRAMA!

SG-1 kind of needed more of that. I like Ben Browder, but when he was introduced they acted like he had been there the whole time and that kind of bothered me. And then there is Atlantis which moved much more in the direction of, "let's have more recurring characters and then maybe kill some of them" territory and it worked well in my opinion.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
sandangel
Redshirt

Post by sandangel »

This episode feels like it's chasing a trend, but I have no idea what. The all black outfits feel like a Matrix riff, but I can't recall if that was timely or not. Either way, bleh.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Ghilz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:14 pm The ship in Alaska is the Ha'tak from the episode "Descent" which contained Thor's counciousness, and crashes in the water off Alaska. I dunno where you got the 1978 date from coz I don't remember that.
Nope, that Ha'tak was destroyed by the self-destruct, since it was slowly getting flooded at the bottom of the Pacific, there was no point to salvage it, as Thor's mind (and no doubt the knowledge he acquired from the computer about Anubis' tech while prisoner in the computer) was more valuable, so they just left with the gliders, and that's when you see the ship blowing up. No way any systems survived that nuclear explosion underwater. Also Anubis' Ha'tak didn't crash anywhere near Fairbanks:
CARTER
It's no use. I estimate impact between five hundred and a thousand miles west south west of Alaska.
[A monitor shows the mothership's course into the ocean.]

HAMMOND
The official line is that early this morning,
(He's on the phone)
at approximately 0800 hours, NORAD tracked a meteor as it entered the Earth's atmosphere, and landed somewhere in the North Pacific.
As for Carter's story:
CARTER
Prometheus is the third in a series of designs that incorporates both human and alien technology.

MARTELL
You're saying little green men helped you build this?

CARTER
Actually, they're gray. All the key systems were reverse engineered from a ship that crashed a hundred miles north of Fairbanks, Alaska in 1978. It was only in the last few years that our technology evolved to a point where we could take advantage of what we had.

[Carter gestures for them to enter a room as she and Jonas remain in the corridor.]

JONAS
(quietly)
Fairbanks.

CARTER
Better than Roswell.
I always assumed that they scrapped the unfinished ship, since I figured that's why they introduced it (they already mentioned the X-303 in the first episode of the season so I figured this was another foreshadowing), though it's possible since it wasn't mentioned again that the writers just ignored it.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mabus wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:24 pm I always assumed that they scrapped the unfinished ship, since I figured that's why they introduced it (they already mentioned the X-303 in the first episode of the season so I figured this was another foreshadowing), though it's possible since it wasn't mentioned again that the writers just ignored it.
Stargate was just as bad as Star Trek for introducing revolutionary concepts and technology one week only to have it vanish by next week for no real reason and, often, to their own detriment - as in ''our lives are now potentially shorter and more dangerous because of it.''

The example that always springs to my mind was all the way back on episode 1 where we learn that the Goa'uld have a grenade that can be thrown through the Stargate to scan who is on the other side. Insanely useful. And why just limit it to the Stargate? This would make for a good anti-personnel weapon for room clearing too.

I would also be amiss if I forgot the Tac - which is a fully automated handheld ball that fires energy blasts at designated targets and has a pretty decent range to boot. Incredibly portable, probably infinite ammo like all Goa'uld tech, and can be used to defend anything. How about a couple of these things marking their gates or ring platforms?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

SG-1 only works if no one but Earth puts any real effort into guarding their stargates. The SGC puts theirs in an underground bunker with armed guards watching it constantly, a titanium iris that prevents anyone without a passcode from getting through, and a nuclear bomb set to go off and bury the gate if any intruders do get through. Everywhere else, stargates just sit out in the open, often completely unprotected, and with "heavily guarded" meaning there are a few guys with weapons milling about in the general area.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I liked the episode for the character work done with Jonas Quinn to distinguish him from Daniel Jackson and the clone red herring. They made him "the smart guy" without stepping on Carter's toes as "the smart guy" by making them smart in different ways. The save seemed way too convenient (something that happens with SG-1 from time to time) but I think I enjoyed the episode more than SF Debris did.