VOY: "Nightingale"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Enterprising
Officer

Re: VOY: "Nightingale"

Post by Enterprising »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 pm Almost nobody on the ship got promoted.
At least two got demoted, just so they could get promoted again later. Tuvok was Lt. Cmd for the first handful of episodes, then suddenly just appeared an Lt for no reason. Paris actually got demoted TWICE, he started as full Lt. for the first several episodes, then turned up one day as a Junior Lt. for no reason.

Dunno if that was just a wordrobe cock-up, but it always bugged me none the less since it went on in both cases for multiple episodes.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Enterprising wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:05 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:31 pm Almost nobody on the ship got promoted.
At least two got demoted, just so they could get promoted again later. Tuvok was Lt. Cmd for the first handful of episodes, then suddenly just appeared an Lt for no reason. Paris actually got demoted TWICE, he started as full Lt. for the first several episodes, then turned up one day as a Junior Lt. for no reason.

Dunno if that was just a wordrobe cock-up, but it always bugged me none the less since it went on in both cases for multiple episodes.
Its just piss poor continuity. Janeway adores Tuvok. There is no way she would demote him off-screen.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

My understanding was that career advancement opportunities were EXTREMELY limited on account of, you know, being stranded on the other side of the galaxy and stuff. There aren't all that many vacancies to fill.

I'm sure a lot of promotions were handed out once they got back to the Alpha Quadrant.
Nobody got promoted, except Torres, Paris (twice), Tuvok, Chakotay. (Yes, the maquis temp promotions count) It's not a matter of filling a vacancy, because Harry was already doing the job. He's the senior most operations officer. He's doing the job, they just haven't given him the rank to match. Like think about it, when Janeway was deciding her temp promotions after caretaker because she needed to remake the chain of command the ops officer was overlooked but for some reason the Helmsmen was made a junior LT? It's not like Paris was all that experienced himself, he was kicked out of Starfleet during his first posting.
Fianna wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 pm Plus, if you promote him out of being an ensign, who's going to replace him at his ensign duties? Sometimes you need to keep talented people in low-level grunt positions, because you have a shortage of grunts.

Sure, Tom Paris eventually got promoted, but as Chuck likes to point out, Tom Paris is an expert at everything. If only one person on Voyager is going to be promoted, it's gonna be him.
Why would he need to be replaced? Data was the ops officer on the Enterprise so it's not like those tasks are beneath a Jr Lt or Lt. Indeed the super advanced android being Harry's equivalent is one of the things that make Harry's lack of promotion so weird. Yes Enterprise and Voyager are different ships, so I wouldn't expect them to require the same rank, but it's really weird that on one ship it's a Lt Commander doing the job, and the other it's an ensign. The only way that makes sense to me is if Harry was considered already ready for promotion making his time as an ensign even more of a formality than it normally is. Like 100% Harry was given this posting because they knew he had the skills to take on more responsibility than a normal ensign, but the rules require a certain amount of time in rank before you're eligible for a promotion and they couldn't just start him off as a Jr Lt so they gave him something just on the edge of what would be considered appropriate for an ensign.

If you're talking random jobs that need to be done, Harry often does them alongside a Jr Lt and Lt, throughout the series we see everyone up and to including the Captain doing work that's not even ensign level, but that should be handled by the crewmen. So he'd probably just keep doing them.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

It still annoys me that they think the ship needs to be grounded on a planet for a refit or major repairs. The writer of the episode obviously failed to realized the amount of power required to maintain the structure integrity fields to keep the ship in one piece as it's being supported by tiny landing struts.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Ranchoth
Redshirt

Post by Ranchoth »

TigerWoodsLibido wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:49 am Sadly, when you try to play the video, it just says player error. Hopefully someone has them.
Like I said, you have to open up the page source code (I use Firefox, it might be harder in other browsers), find the actual Vimeo link, and copy/paste THAT to go to Vimeo directly.

A small PITA, cheerfully admitted, but at least it's a working fallback.
Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:02 pm I'm not sure they wouldn't be concerned. They wouldn't want any word to get back to the Romulans who might take it the wrong way, especially since their flight path would actually take them either pass or through Romulan territory.
They could always just scrap it if and/when they actually got close to Romulan territory, and sweep it under the rug on the official reports.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Ranchoth wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 am Like I said, you have to open up the page source code (I use Firefox, it might be harder in other browsers), find the actual Vimeo link, and copy/paste THAT to go to Vimeo directly.
"Inspect Element" will take you right to it. :)
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I hope they set Icheb straight. We don't want him giving just any Starfleet engineer the eye.
TigerWoodsLibido
Redshirt

Post by TigerWoodsLibido »

Got it to work for now. Still trying to save them to my google drive in case they go down again.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Starfleet has really mixed up orgcharts. Senior staff is largely arbitrary, and departmental heads have varying ranks. Counseling and Medical is headed by a Lt. Cmdr and Security/Tactical is only headed by an Lt. On TOS, the XO was the head of Science and the SO headed Medicine. I can only assume that many positions in Starfleet are filled for expertise, and the chain of command is decided by the captain.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

Speaking of weird, look at the opening shot of Voyager on the planet with the Type-9 shuttles around it. Now watch the shuttle launch towards the end of “Innocence” (yeh that one). Here the shuttles are tiny, in the other episode one fills the entire shuttlebay door opening! Bit of a size difference much!? I know Voyager is a TARDIS to be able to keep multiple shuttles, the Delta Flyer and Baxial in there, but it’s not meant to get bigger on the outside!

6:02 Hey look, it’s that weird console from the runabout cockpit that just appeared on day midway through the series...
Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:54 am I hope they set Icheb straight. We don't want him giving just any Starfleet engineer the eye.
Or a Romulan...