Discovery: Sound of Thunder

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: Discovery: Sound of Thunder

Post by Jonathan101 »

SPOILERS

Season 3 takes place in the far future, so it will be fun to see if they return to this planet after a few centuries have passed and see if it really is a peaceful paradise, or if they just caused Armageddon.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

MrL1992 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm I wonder if it was incidents like this that pushed the Federation of the 24th Century enforce the Prime Directive to extremes?
Probably more stuff like the Planet of Gangsters and the Planet of Nazis.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Fianna wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:11 am
MrL1992 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm I wonder if it was incidents like this that pushed the Federation of the 24th Century enforce the Prime Directive to extremes?
Probably more stuff like the Planet of Gangsters and the Planet of Nazis.
The revelation that Admiral Jameson plunged a planet into civil war by arming both sides to uphold what he considered to be the spirit of the PD probably didn't help, I suppose.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Planet of Nazis would be the most clear cut example of what outside interference can do. Gill effectively triggered a second Holocaust.

Planet of Gangsters was an accident - similar to when Reed dropped his communicator on that planet and nearly caused its cold war to heat up. I'm not sure the PD would really have helped short of ''make sure you check your books upon leaving''. It is also, lets be honest, rather unrealistic that one book about 1920s gangsters could change the entire course of a world. The steps between what we see in this episode and ''fringe subculture'' are immense.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Fianna wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:01 am Oh, and side note, I'm with Chuck: I honestly wish they'd called the planet Kelpopolis.
It makes no sense though, since "polis" means "city."
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I am sick and tired of the whitewashing and cool-ify-ing of S31. They are bad people and should be treated as such.

Oh, and Kurtzman is a talentless hack and a sack of shit.

That's all the thoughts I have.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:09 am I am sick and tired of the whitewashing and cool-ify-ing of S31. They are bad people and should be treated as such.
Same. It fundamentally misunderstands S31 and the Federation to use them the way we keep seeing in recent years.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 am
Worffan101 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:09 am I am sick and tired of the whitewashing and cool-ify-ing of S31. They are bad people and should be treated as such.
Same. It fundamentally misunderstands S31 and the Federation to use them the way we keep seeing in recent years.
It's also a direct pivot into ultra-neocon Jack Bauer-esque far-right xenophobic totalitarianism that I can't stand.

It'd be one thing if it were Starfleet Intelligence, with accountability to democratic authority, overseen by Starfleet Command and above that by the Federation Council, performing bad actions, and being called out on it by Starfleet characters who bring this to the attention of the oversight body which then acts to halt the overreach. (Even that would be questionable, but at least it wouldn't be Jack Bauer fetishism) But Section 31 have repeatedly been shown to operate without oversight, to be treated as criminals by the Federation, and were originally portrayed as an illegitimate and illegal cabal (much like Leyton's clique) within the Federation attempting to subvert the democratic, checked, and balanced structures of the Federation for an ultranationalist goal.

Also, having S31 and their comically evil AI be responsible for the Federation's strength like David Hack did in his books and later in STD? Kinda breaks the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF STAR TREK!
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do think Hurtsman days are number. I do think we need a optimistic series now a days.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Anyone want to bump this