Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Al-1701
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Al-1701 »

Well, we've come to the end of the first season, and we seem to have gotten things back on track in the universe. Nothing like finding new life to get the Federation's collective head out of their ass (though, Oh not being the devil on their shoulder on this one helped). Hopefully, whenever we get Season 2, we can have a more lighthearted adventure (or adventures). Dawn has come and its time to revel in a new day.

I also liked that the conflict was resolved in a way similar to Arena. Soji had to make the same decision as Kirk in Arena, choose not to kill today. Soong also turned out to be a red herring since I saw a lot of theories he was actually Lore, but no.

And Picard has a new old body. I bet Soong was generous in his estimation of Picard's life expectancy. And Data was finally allowed to pass. The future is for his children to continue his mission to know what it is to be human.

While definitely a flawed series, I liked Picard as a whole. The new look to everything took getting use to, but feels like a natural progression of technology (unlike Discovery outclassing anything we had seen in the 23rd Century before). Being a sequel, it was much easier to deal with the 20% difference by just having ship design progress.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well, it's over. It started off slow...way to slow. And then floundered around for a while...but eventually got to the story plot.

It was nice to have a Star Trek ending and NOT a Star Wars ending: the conflict was resolved by intelligence and not ''shoot pew pew". And they sort of just forgot about the politics...as, er, the Federation is now prefect again after being, er, ''changed" or something.

Have Picard die to be reborn? Er, seems a bit pointless. Why go through all the death bits if you just hit the reset button? Guess just so we can have season 2?

So does Seven of Nine join the show as a regular cast member? Or will she just ''move on" in the first show of season 2?
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Zargon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 am Have Picard die to be reborn? Er, seems a bit pointless. Why go through all the death bits if you just hit the reset button? Guess just so we can have season 2?
Apparently this was part of the plan early on. Most likely to give reason for Picard and Data to have their scene together.

And I did get emotional during Data's final moments, I'll admit.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CMWaters wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 am
Zargon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 am Have Picard die to be reborn? Er, seems a bit pointless. Why go through all the death bits if you just hit the reset button? Guess just so we can have season 2?
Apparently this was part of the plan early on. Most likely to give reason for Picard and Data to have their scene together.

And I did get emotional during Data's final moments, I'll admit.
Yeah I thought it was pretty ballsy to tackle death as much as they did here.
..What mirror universe?
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

I will say though that I kinda feel stupid because during Data's final moments, I thought they would reveal that the figure with him was Tasha Yar, harkening back to their time together.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

meh
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

It was great moment and proper send off for Data that he didn't get in Nemesis.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I liked his sendoff in Nemesis.
..What mirror universe?
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Don't get your hopes up for improvement. The dark aspects were intentional from the start

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/27/star-trek-picard-showrunner-michael-chabon-admits-he-wanted-to-piss-off-or-provoke-people/
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Antiboyscout wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:19 am Don't get your hopes up for improvement. The dark aspects were intentional from the start

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/27/star-trek-picard-showrunner-michael-chabon-admits-he-wanted-to-piss-off-or-provoke-people/
Alright, but don't you think it's fair to not really care about this because you don't let stuff like these shows really get to you in the first place?

Not to say that I would ever discourage being passionate about this stuff I know all about that.
..What mirror universe?