MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: MST3K - Season 2

Post by Mecha82 »

To answer question that came up in Season 4 review what is Sampo. For short it's magical device from Finnish folklore as told in Kalevala. Kalevala is Finnish folklores collected to one book and it was big inspiration to Tolkien when he created world that is Arda, Middle-Earth and lore for that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

Manos hands of fate is not the worst film the guys had to watch for the show in fact it was the alternative the worst film they had to screen first before putting on the show was: well... let's just say... it was felt so disturbing and too awful by the crew that it thankfully never made it to air! kevin murphy has stated that after seeing it he felt he needed a good cry and a shower :cry: so let us be happy that we got :twisted: Manos! hands of fate! instead of child bride!
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Nightbeat74 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 pm Manos hands of fate is not the worst film the guys had to watch for the show in fact it was the alternative the worst film they had to screen first before putting on the show was: well... let's just say... it was felt so disturbing and too awful by the crew that it thankfully never made it to air! kevin murphy has stated that after seeing it he felt he needed a good cry and a shower :cry: so let us be happy that we got :twisted: Manos! hands of fate! instead of child bride!
If the title is any guide I don't even want to look it up.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 pm
Nightbeat74 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:14 pm Manos hands of fate is not the worst film the guys had to watch for the show in fact it was the alternative the worst film they had to screen first before putting on the show was: well... let's just say... it was felt so disturbing and too awful by the crew that it thankfully never made it to air! kevin murphy has stated that after seeing it he felt he needed a good cry and a shower :cry: so let us be happy that we got :twisted: Manos! hands of fate! instead of child bride!
If the title is any guide I don't even want to look it up.
yeah ppls do not look it up, i got headache and felt like i needed to take a bath from just looking it up on wikipedia &tv tropes for spelling & fact checking :shock:. how i sadly in the first place found out about it was i was doing some research on child marriage i felt sick after that :( :shock: if you are wondering if i have seen the film, no i have not i just read the wiki & the tv tropes pages for it and washed myself down.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

In the book they put out (years ago now) they stated Monster A Go Go was the worst they every actually did, mostly because of how boring it was.

That said, Manos is something else. And it's history is summed up in these two articles:

http://www.jophan.org/mimosa/m18/brandt.htm
http://www.jophan.org/mimosa/m30/brandt.htm
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yeah, I'd say "Monster A-Go-Go" was by far the worst they ever did, just because it was so boring, that they didn't even have much to work off of to riff to make it funny.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

Monster A-Go-Go also features one of biggest middle fingers to the audience as far as endings go, which tops even the inept production in Hands of Fate.

And honestly as far as movies go, I think Wild World of Batwoman is almost as awful as Manos. Its technically better shot, but the characters are much more obnoxious, the plot is stupid even for an MST3k featured movie, and stuff like the "seance" scene, even with riffing, is one of the most painful to sit through in the history of the series.
Dae tone
Redshirt

Re: MST3K The Show

Post by Dae tone »

Thanks Chuck, I have been re-watching MST3K straight through during the stay at home. I got through the Untamed Youth episode two weeks ago and woke up this morning for the first time without "Wiggle and jiggle and wiggle and rock, jingle and wiggle and wiggle and rock, jingle and ringo and wriggle and rock" in my head.
Guess that's over now.

Jackass.
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

This is probably the first time I’ve watched any of the reviews here and thought “what the **** is this?” Apart from some of the anime, but that doesn’t feel the same level of disconnection. And there, Chuck shares my confusion, whereas here, he’s going on about this like it’s obvious what it’s about, and I’m just getting more and more lost. :)
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:33 pm This is probably the first time I’ve watched any of the reviews here and thought “what the **** is this?” Apart from some of the anime, but that doesn’t feel the same level of disconnection. And there, Chuck shares my confusion, whereas here, he’s going on about this like it’s obvious what it’s about, and I’m just getting more and more lost. :)
It's about the history of MST3K, it's evolution and what he views as the best show of every season. Pretty obvious to me.

Also, this is the origin of, well, pretty much the entire internet reviewer genre (as it were). Making fun of stupid movies is where it all began.