MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

Post by CrypticMirror »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:23 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:52 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:56 am I put my reply in the wrong place. but this thing with Starlight is symptomatic of a bigger problem with the show as I said before. someone earlier said that showing or talking about punishment isn't the point of most episodes, well, when is it appropriate?
Kids are born judgemental, because they are human and humans are a judgey-judgey species, so it is important to teach them how to forgive, because forgiveness does not come naturally. Forgiving is a far less harmful message to send that to keep on being judgey.
forgiveness and justice are both needed for a healthy mindset.
Forgiveness works better.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:28 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:23 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:52 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:56 am I put my reply in the wrong place. but this thing with Starlight is symptomatic of a bigger problem with the show as I said before. someone earlier said that showing or talking about punishment isn't the point of most episodes, well, when is it appropriate?
Kids are born judgemental, because they are human and humans are a judgey-judgey species, so it is important to teach them how to forgive, because forgiveness does not come naturally. Forgiving is a far less harmful message to send that to keep on being judgey.
forgiveness and justice are both needed for a healthy mindset.
Forgiveness works better.
if we were only forgiven, murderers and war criminals would walk free all the time.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Oh, everyone is worth forgiving eventually.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:50 pm Oh, everyone is worth forgiving eventually.
but even in the most forgiving justice system, they are punished first.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Punished is not a helpful word when it comes to a functioning justice system, even the Victorians knew a punitive system doesn't work. Today we focus on rehabilitation. It has more success.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:54 am Punished is not a helpful word when it comes to a functioning justice system, even the Victorians knew a punitive system doesn't work. Today we focus on rehabilitation. It has more success.
but the offender still looses their freedom till they are rehabilitated.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:43 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:54 am Punished is not a helpful word when it comes to a functioning justice system, even the Victorians knew a punitive system doesn't work. Today we focus on rehabilitation. It has more success.
Only if it can be proved they are a danger to themselves and/or others at the time, otherwise community support is more appropriate.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 pm
Only if it can be proved they are a danger to themselves and/or others at the time, otherwise community support is more appropriate.
given what she does after she "turned good", I'd say that first part describes Starlight Glimmer, and at least one other "reformed" villain, Discord.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 pm
given what she does after she "turned good", I'd say that first part describes Starlight Glimmer, and at least one other "reformed" villain, Discord.
You go with the situation you have at the time, not what might happen after it. That is the price of a free society, you give up some safety for the sake of trust and principles.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:29 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:55 pm
You go with the situation you have at the time, not what might happen after it. That is the price of a free society, you give up some safety for the sake of trust and principles.
okay but after "Every Little Thing She Does", I'm thinking a mental hospital should have been on the table.

and since it was the only option for him, Discord should have been turned back into stone after what he did in season 9.

and even if they were pardoned, the surviving antagonists from the movie should have been hated and feared by the general public, not invited to their big celebration with no issue.