Code Geass

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Code Geass

Post by Admiral X »

Kind of interesting that they didn't draw Kallen's nipples on in this episode, but later on you can ever so briefly see them thanks to some Gainax physics.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Cylus
Redshirt

Post by Cylus »

Admiral X wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:25 pm Kind of interesting that they didn't draw Kallen's nipples on in this episode, but later on you can ever so briefly see them thanks to some Gainax physics.
I think Chuck might have spoken too soon. I was curious and went to check. There is a brief frame where that was actually drawn in this episode. It's much shorter, from a certain distance and easier to miss than the other instance from later in the story.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Cylus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 pm
Admiral X wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:25 pm Kind of interesting that they didn't draw Kallen's nipples on in this episode, but later on you can ever so briefly see them thanks to some Gainax physics.
I think Chuck might have spoken too soon. I was curious and went to check. There is a brief frame where that was actually drawn in this episode. It's much shorter, from a certain distance and easier to miss than the other instance from later in the story.
So blink and you miss it situation. Total lack of nipples would had been weird and it wouldn't had made sense considering other cases when those are drawn on her.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Cylus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 am Maybe we could say the discovery of the Sakuradite is what made the Japanese move away from old-school military imperialism and instead become more...economically manipulative?
One of the things driving real world Japan's imperialism was a lacking in natural resources, especially in modern industrial energy.

That the Cade Geass Japan would be rich in a form pf energy would change their dynamic greatly, though there is quite a bit glossed over in thebackstory on how they got from feudal to the pre-conquest society.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I still loved the show in R2, more flaws show up there, especially the handling of Suzaku as a character, but it was always fun and it's ending is one of the best endings any Story has ever had.
Call me KuudereKun
Myrion
Redshirt

Post by Myrion »

Cylus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 am Maybe we could say the discovery of the Sakuradite is what made the Japanese move away from old-school military imperialism and instead become more...economically manipulative?
According to the Code Geass wikia, this is more or less was happened, with Japan selling sakuradite to conflicting factions with idea that if any of them tried to attack them, the others would have to defend them lest their enemy gain exclusive control control of the material.

Also it says that Japan embraced democracy shortly after a.t.b. 1945, which supposedly would be near the beginning of the 20th century/end of the 19th our time.

I could draw a connection to the Russo-Japanese war, the victory of which in our world emboldened Japan, though economic manipulation combined with a switch to democracy around 1900 or so is kind of reminding me of China.
drcakey
Redshirt

Post by drcakey »

Phew. Years of watching SFDebris and it's Code Geass that finally gets me to make an account. That...yeah, that sounds like me.

It's been a very, very long time since I've seen Code Geass, so I could be off about this, but if I'm not, here's a funny little game. Keep track of how many times Lelouch BOTH wins a battle AND accomplishes his objective. You should end up with a pretty small number. (For example, in Shinjuku he does shoot Clovis but only after being routed.)

I'm the kind of person who enters a thread and wants to reply to every single comment in the thread, but I'm going to somehow limit myself to just making one suggestion, which is to not do too much digging into Code Geass' background and lore. Something in Code Geass' timeline that happened 300 years ago, is never brought up in the show, and had already been forgotten by the writers before episode 1's script was done, doesn't seem like it should figure heavily into one's interpretation of the show. Not to me, anyway.
i am not, and have never* been, a car
Cylus
Redshirt

Post by Cylus »

drcakey wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:27 pm I'm the kind of person who enters a thread and wants to reply to every single comment in the thread, but I'm going to somehow limit myself to just making one suggestion, which is to not do too much digging into Code Geass' background and lore. Something in Code Geass' timeline that happened 300 years ago, is never brought up in the show, and had already been forgotten by the writers before episode 1's script was done, doesn't seem like it should figure heavily into one's interpretation of the show. Not to me, anyway.
That's a fair point. Indeed, I think the background lore about the setting may be useful in order to have discussions among fans and speculate, but obviously whatever happens during the show itself should be the most important part of an analysis or review.

In the end, we should remember the detailed historical settings are mostly there in order to have a fictional context to frame the story. Which can be left unaddressed by the creators until future expansion possibilities may require it (Akito the Exiled used and reworked some information about Europe that was never explicitly used in the main Code Geass TV show). History is not meant to replace the actual events we see on the screen.
brokentorpedo
Redshirt

Post by brokentorpedo »

So does anyone know what made Chuck decide to review this show just now?

Also, about the nipple thing, Kallen is like the only character that they ever did that.
Note that when C.C. gave Lelouch his power, her nudity was shown in negative effect, and you can see the nipples if you pause at the right moment. And latter they didn't even try to hide the nipples when it comes to Villetta.

I don't care if they went either way but the inconsistency is just mind boggling.
Is it because Kallen is an underage character?
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

It seems Chuck hasn't noticed yet that Kallen has the same VA as the crazy teacher from Madoka. Understandable, it took me a long time to notice it as well.
Call me KuudereKun