MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Re: MST3K The Show - Season 8

Post by MerelyAFan »

I think the story arc was beneficial in hindsight for making it clear that the post-Trace era of MST3K wasn't going to be exact same show, at least when it came to the Mads. While Seasons 9 & 10 would settle into something resembling the earlier years, I think the more experimental nature of the season long narrative helped get both Bill Corbett and Mary Jo Pehl into their roles with greater ease than if they'd simply dropped them into episode 801 and then continued on as normal.

In the end it got the show to a relatively good status quo for its final years while making the transition much less rough than it could have been otherwise.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

I honestly missed the dynamic of season 8 a lot as they moved into season 9. As a kid/teen watching it as it aired and only knowing so much about the behind the scenes stuff, I was shocked that the ending of one episode, where a missile is dropped on the castle, wasn't continued on in the next new episode. And it's fine, the episodes were still good and funny, I was just disappointed because I liked the ongoing storyline where they were spoofing genre stuff and doing it hilariously.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Season 9, the top spot for my is The Final Sacrifice or Hobgoblins, but Werewolf is very, very close to them, so is Pumaman... This season is just gold and so many of the episodes are must-sees for any fans.

Here's some trivia about the movies.

In The Deadly Bees, Bowler Hat Guy's earlier scenes were all cut in the MST3K version, so in the final episode he just appears out of nowhere. He's supposed to be a police detective who is sent to investigate the killings, but only arrives after the villain is defeated. The apparent incompetence and uneffectiveness of the British Police is a frequent joke of British film and television that lasts to this day. The movie is also based on a book called 'A Taste for Honey' which was originally written as a Sherlock Holmes novel, but the writer was denied permission by Doyle's estate so rewrote it a bit, but in the book Manfred (or Mycroft as is called in the book) is actually a good guy and is heavily implied to be an elderly Holmes. The novel is apparently quite good and even received praise from Raymond Chandler.

The Club Scum MC in Hobgoblins is played by Daran Norris aka Knockout in Transformers Prime, Cosmo, Timmy's Dad and Jorgen in Fairly Odd Parents, Vincent and Cowboy Andy in Cowboy Bebop, Gordy the Janitor in Ned's Declassified and a variety of other shows. He claims to have no regret for his involvement in Hobgolbins. Also 'Roadrash' is played by Duane Whitaker of Pulp Fiction!

In Werewolf, the reason why Joe Estevez and other characters vanish from the film is because the shooting schedule was so messed up and they just stopped bothering with it, it's also why Yuri's hair keeps changing color.

Gorgo was an interesting case, as it's probably the least bad movie featured on MST3K. The director got the idea for the movie after his young daughter saw his previous movie 'The Giant Behemoth' and scolded him for 'killing the nice beast' at the end of that movie, so he decided to make a movie where the monsters win in the end. Also, it was originally going to be set in Australia, but they decided that it wouldn't work as there were no famous landmarks for the monster to destroy or climb at the time... and they legit thought no one would care if a giant monster attacked Australia. And apparently all of the military scenes were forced into the film by the studio, they weren't present in the director's cut.

Also, apparently David Warner saw the MST3K version of Delta Knights and got a good laugh out of it, but he's still fond of the movie itself and is grateful that MST3K made sure the movie would at least be remembered.

Donald Pleasence apparently considered Puma Man one of the few movies he was ashamed of, and considering that he was in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band and Halloween 6, that's saying something.

Would anyone else unironically watch Zap and Troy: The Legendary Journeys? Pipper is always hilarious, but what makes him funnier to me is that he looks quite a bit like my step-grandpa who passed last December, (He looked more like an old version of Richard Dreyfus in Jaws).
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

There's some real charm in "The Final Sacrifice." You've got a character with an awesome name like Zap Rowsdower, but he's sort of an every-man hero. He actually works in the way Bruce Willis worked in the original Die Hard.

I honestly think it would make for a moderately enjoyable film without the riffing-the sort of thing that could have been on USA Network back in the day. The biggest thing working against it is the low budget, which actually makes it charming to me. It's edited well enough to keep the pace moving without getting bogged down, and the story is cohesive and easy to follow. It's almost a fucking masterpiece when you consider it was written, directed, and edited by a first year film student.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: MST3K The Show - Season 9

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Season 9 has been posted

https://sfdebris.com/videos/tv/mst3k09.php
..What mirror universe?
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

And the show concludes with season 10. https://sfdebris.com/videos/tv/mst3k10.php

As much as it was a shame that we got neither the back nine, nor a season 11, I will say that overall it ended at a solid time. Unlike a lot of other comedy shows which ran too long or science fiction shows unfortunately cut short, MST3k felt like it left you wanting more without feeling cheated of what you got. And given its status as one of the most iconic and best aged shows of the 90s, it was oddly fitting that it bowed out just before the year 2000.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Season 10 has been posted

https://sfdebris.com/videos/tv/mst3k10.php
..What mirror universe?
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Like the little ending montage to the end credits theme there.

Now the big question: will he do Seasons 11 and 12?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

CMWaters wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:46 pm Like the little ending montage to the end credits theme there.

Now the big question: will he do Seasons 11 and 12?
I was about to ask. The Netflix has been pretty fun, so far. Who knew the DANISH could make a semi-decent Kaiju movie?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The Danes make Lego. The can make a semi-decent anything.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu