The 2020 Comic book crash

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
JoeThree
Officer

Re: The 2020 Comic book crash

Post by JoeThree »

Remember when people referred to the 90's as the "Dark Age of comics"?

They knew nothing of the power of Feminism then.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 am Remember when people referred to the 90's as the "Dark Age of comics"?

That's ironic coming from you.
Power laces... alright.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:13 am Remember when people referred to the 90's as the "Dark Age of comics"?

Feminism leads to edginess for it's own sake and rampant pandering to speculations? That's news to me.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

I think most folks use 'Dark Age' as a reference to the TONE of the era, not the QUALITY. It just so happens that a lot of that dark/edgy/gritty stuff is pure junk, especially the stuff that was made to chase Watchman's misinterpreted ghost.

There IS some good there, though. Hellblazer, Sandman, decent chunks of 2000AD, Perez's run on Wonder Woman, the first two volumes of Extraordinary Gentleman... Hell, even Spawn and The Punisher have their moments.
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

I think you guys missed my point. I was saying the 90's sucked, but at least it didn't kill the comic book industry like these Progressive rags that're being put out.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:41 pm I think you guys missed my point. I was saying the 90's sucked, but at least it didn't kill the comic book industry like these Progressive rags that're being put out.
There are more units being sold now than there were in the wake of the crash. Additionally the practices of the dark age made it significantly more difficult for the public at large to get into comics both due to the explosion of titles and the total focus on the direct market.
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:03 pm
JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:41 pm I think you guys missed my point. I was saying the 90's sucked, but at least it didn't kill the comic book industry like these Progressive rags that're being put out.
There are more units being sold now than there were in the wake of the crash. Additionally the practices of the dark age made it significantly more difficult for the public at large to get into comics both due to the explosion of titles and the total focus on the direct market.
Are more comics being sold now than in the 90's?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 pm
Not more than the peak, but more than during the crash. Last year 83 million comics were sold in the US, that's after several years of decline, but it's also more than any given year from 1999 to 2006.
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:52 pm
Not more than the peak, but more than during the crash. Last year 83 million comics were sold in the US, that's after several years of decline, but it's also more than any given year from 1999 to 2006.
So you're telling me things sold better in the Dark Age of comics, then dropped off, but now comics are selling alright. Can you tell me which ones are doing well? Is it still the same ones by DC, Marvel, and Image?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:55 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:52 pm
So you're telling me things sold better in the Dark Age of comics, then dropped off, but now comics are selling alright. Can you tell me which ones are doing well? Is it still the same ones by DC, Marvel, and Image?
It's similar titles plus the expansion of the number of titles due to a growing number of mid tier studios like Boom and IDW.