The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by Captain Crimson »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:08 pm Worked for the Nostalgia Critic.
In what respect?
Catering to nostalgia is his brand.
I would contend that he is a nostalgia critic. It's false advertising. He's there, by his own admission, to take jokes, but he's also too old-school since it's doing so while being exaggeratedly negative and using hyperbolic language. No intellectual growth comes out of that. He's a performer, not a critic. Even the more thoughtful points he brings up can be refuted. I much preferred his Old vs. New, back when I was watching his content since it was more intellectually engaging. Wow... I haven't been following him for nearly ten years. Time sure flies... :shock:
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yeah but it's all a gag to watch a clip show of all our favorite movies.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 am Yeah but it's all a gag to watch a clip show of all our favorite movies.
Captain Crimson
Captain

To get back on topic, and yes, sorry about double posting, but this is related! There is some more news about TM. That in addition to Boba Fett making his way back into Disney canon in TM S2, where I have no doubts they'll just give the same explanation how he escaped the sarlacc as in Legends, Captain Rex and Sabine are rumored to appear, in addition to Ahsoka, with Mr. Filoni himself implying via Twitter that she is alive past TROS too. This raises a massive red flag with me since it sounds like more nostalgia bait. Rebels itself already had a few issues, and now they're bringing back all these characters, feels in a lot of ways like they're hijacking the brand and making it so actions don't have consequences anymore.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:02 pm To get back on topic, and yes, sorry about double posting, but this is related!
You're not obligated to wait for someone to post as if standardized protocol. By all means don't be excessive if you are wanting to concern yourself with discretion, but that is a distinct issue.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:23 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:02 pm To get back on topic, and yes, sorry about double posting, but this is related!
You're not obligated to wait for someone to post as if standardized protocol. By all means don't be excessive if you are wanting to concern yourself with discretion, but that is a distinct issue.
Yeah, I would prefer not to be excessive, since many other users here, and not pointing the finger at anyone, seem to be... excessive.

Though do you want to comment on what I'd said?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 pmThough do you want to comment on what I'd said?
I'd say all that really matters is whether or not these characters you revere get significant plots. Cameos obviously don't serve that, and death needless to say will complicate things if they're to bring people back to have significant plots.

Otherwise, cameos and stuff aren't "toxic" imo and seem like a silly thing to stress over. Whether or not you see this as the studios faithfully adopting the EU has always been a nonexistent aspect of the original sagas as they've been developed. It was for the most part designed that way, so this seems like further a aspirational thing to stress over.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:26 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:38 pmThough do you want to comment on what I'd said?
I'd say all that really matters is whether or not these characters you revere get significant plots. Cameos obviously don't serve that, and death needless to say will complicate things if they're to bring people back to have significant plots.

Otherwise, cameos and stuff aren't "toxic" imo and seem like a silly thing to stress over. Whether or not you see this as the studios faithfully adopting the EU has always been a nonexistent aspect of the original sagas as they've been developed. It was for the most part designed that way, so this seems like further a aspirational thing to stress over.
And yet, the show is called "The Mandalorian." It is about Jyn Darren, and what this suggests to me is another example how they have very little confidence in their original characters. Because let's face it, the Baby Yoda Species character and the memes surrounding it overtook the central character so that most fans retweeting their experiences and sharing out screencaps and memes didn't even know his name. Just think about that for a second, honestly.

Is it going to just be cameos, or will it be a more permanent role? There's rumors of a Rebels spin-off or a sequel series, which seems quite likely to be validated. I also never suggested that cameos were toxic, although I can concede that I should've clarified myself better. Furthermore, I don't care if this faithfully adapts the EU, since during this time in the EU, Thrawn began his campaign against the New Republic, and in Disney, he's still floating around in the Unknown Regions somewhere, most likely. My larger criticism is the central character is lacking to the point that rumors of Boba Fett returning even after we were told he was dead strike me as a course correction, if they are to be verified, as TM was possibly salvaged elements from a failed Boba Fett film, but with dwindling box-office returns, where is the profit in that?

We can only speculate, so there is a degree of subjectivity, but with every new expansion of the EU until about 2008, it was just an explosion of new and original characters, new species, new planets. That doesn't seem like the case anymore. And that's kinda what I find so lacking about Disney canon. Even IG-11 was just IG-88 redressed for some weird reason. Nowhere is the haphazard management style more apparent than in the runtime for each episode. This would have never flied with classic pillars from the golden age of SF.

It's engaging if you could turn off your critical thinking skills, and have no experience with the source material. I have a very hard time doing that, I hope you can see. I think others like Winter also feel the same thing, though I could be misrepresenting that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:45 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:26 pm

And yet, the show is called "The Mandalorian." It is about Jyn Darren, and what this suggests to me is another example how they have very little confidence in their original characters.
I'm not really big on pretentiously positing latin coinage for argumentative fallacies to refute statements, but that's a bit of a non sequitur.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:45 pmBecause let's face it, the Baby Yoda Species character and the memes surrounding it overtook the central character so that most fans retweeting their experiences and sharing out screencaps and memes didn't even know his name. Just think about that for a second, honestly.
I don't remember his name and it doesn't much bother me about the show. That's actually an argument people had when the first few episodes came out, that we don't see his face and it's largely impersonal, but nothing to that tune really held up for people watching the show.
..What mirror universe?