Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's a Pike, Spock, and #1 show.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/05/15/breaking-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-series-with-pike-spock-and-number-one-headed-to-cbs-all-access/
..What mirror universe?
Robovski
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post by Robovski »

I've learned now to not be excited about Star Trek productions.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah but this one sounds just like what you guys have been wanting!
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

"Hey, it's Star Trek, so Spock! Cue applause!"
Last edited by Beastro on Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I would get excited but it's still Kurtzman Trek so sadly I can't get excited. Full me once, full me twice, not this time.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Just let the show die, then the directs will understand why Trek as a whole believes a 50 year run time is good.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I'm beginning to think, that the lack of a future in Star Trek shows is a sign of the times we live in. There is no better tomorrow. There may not even be a tomorrow at all, in some people's minds.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I find it interesting how Star Trek Discovery is at its third season, which isn't to uncommonly a considerable springing point for shows in general, though there is ever this cynicism that there is just no coming back from what's become of the franchise especially given what we've seen of the first two seasons of Discovery and first season of Picard.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:34 am I'm beginning to think, that the lack of a future in Star Trek shows is a sign of the times we live in. There is no better tomorrow. There may not even be a tomorrow at all, in some people's minds.
Decline is never a fun thing to live through, but it doesn't mean that will always be the case.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Cautiously optimistic about Discovery Season 3. Seems they've learned a lot of lessons, and might finally show us something new (Like, do evil robots take over the Federation? No, it's a prequel. Do they effect anything major? No, it's a prequel)

This on the other hand? No. Can I talk about how much I hate recasting people? A role is a collaboration between the actors and the writer. "Spock" isn't just some nebulous concept, it's a discussion between Leonard Nimoy, the writers, the director, and the showrunner, but the most important part of that is Leonard Nimoy. He has input into what his character says, he defines how his character is portrayed. It's him who brings to life, emotes, and expresses the lines, and him who defines the character's inner life.

When you recast the actor, the role changes. It's no longer "Spock". It's something else, something new. Jadzia Dax is not Ezri Dax. The writers were smart enough to lean into it, to make them very different personalities, rather than heading for some uncanny valley land where we have someone trying to play fake Jadzia.

Pike? We got one whole episode of Pike, where he spent the entire time in makeup and a coffin. We could have a new actor do a new take on it, because the old Pike was barely explored. I don't mind that. But Spock rubs wrong, and the more we have the more wrong it is. I know Spock. Spock was created by Leonard Nimoy. This is like having a different writer ghostwrite a book and tell me "well nothing changed, it's the same series."
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform