Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post by Link8909 »

Hi, long time viewer, but new to the forum, just wanted to say this is really good news and I'm really looking forward to it.

Like a lot of people, I really like Captain Pike in Season 2 of Discovery, Anson Mount’s portrayal of him is great; his kind, charismatic and straight-forward nature not just made Pike a great character, but a great captain, someone that officers would look up to, I also really liked Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Spock.

I personally am really liking this new era of trek we are in now , I thought Season 1 and 2 of Discovery was pretty good, and season 1 of Picard was fantastic, I'm looking forward to Season 3 of Discovery and Lower Decks.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Link8909 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pmI personally am really liking this new era of trek we are in now , I thought Season 1 and 2 of Discovery was pretty good, and season 1 of Picard was fantastic, I'm looking forward to Season 3 of Discovery and Lower Decks.
You are a shining example of what we can all set out for ourselves. Welcome to the forum, here is your engineering or science ensign's uniform that I'll be saving on hand for you for our first away mission together.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm
Link8909 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pmI personally am really liking this new era of trek we are in now , I thought Season 1 and 2 of Discovery was pretty good, and season 1 of Picard was fantastic, I'm looking forward to Season 3 of Discovery and Lower Decks.
You are a shining example of what we can all set out for ourselves. Welcome to the forum, here is your engineering or science ensign's uniform that I'll be saving on hand for you for our first away mission together.
Thank you, I appreciate that.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Link8909 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm
Thank you, I appreciate that.
Welcome, here a red shirt you don't have to worry about cleaning the blood off it.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pmYou are a shining example of what we can all set out for ourselves.
You do realize that you are implying, that we all have to somehow like NuTrek for some unstated reason?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pmYou are a shining example of what we can all set out for ourselves.
You do realize that you are implying, that we all have to somehow like NuTrek for some unstated reason?
Not really, people can like what they like, I don't mind if someone else doesn't like the new stuff, I mean I've watch SFDebris reviews on Discovery, I still like Discovery but he does bring up very good points and I will always respect his opinion about it and I'd raver he be honest with his opinion, same with anyone as long as it is kept civil.

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm
Well, implications are a funny thing see...
..What mirror universe?
Gekired
Redshirt

Post by Gekired »

Oh lord in heaven round bloody 3. This is gong to be a bleeding nightmare. I mean Ya Mount was good as Pike but a clock as broke as STD was well... still going to get something right at least twice a day.

I mean we're still stuck with all the shall we say poop tier writers of STD and STP. Also remember many of these people wanted to "Humble Jean Luc Picard" and explained it in an article so horrid and so clearly know jack diddly about Jean Luc, his history, his trials, his loses and so on.

So no i shall not be getting my hopes up. I've been beaten 3 times by the fiends of Secret Hideout.. and shan't be fooled again no matter how many times they screech about Optimism and so on.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well....Strange New Worlds looks like it has a chance of being a decent Star Trek show. It looks like they might do a Five Year Mission episodic show.

So right off the bat unlike god awful Discovery we won't have several galaxy ending plots all personally revolving around one stupid character, while everyone else is a guest star. Just getting away from the dumb "oh no the galaxy will explode" and having a plot with something more like just one life will be effected or such.

Maybe they will do the nice classic mix of sci fi and social issues. One episode has alien snail folk that don't under stand 'fast' life; and the next has a planet with a crazy tyrant 'locking down' everyone because of a virus.

It would be nice if the could steer well clear of "Forcibly Rewriting Star Trek to be Idiotic and Cool like Star Wars(pew pew)" and focus more on either totally new things or just nicely fill the holes and gaps in Trek WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING. Enterprise was good at this. Take the Nassicans: they popped up in the Next Generation as "tough" aliens, and later in DS9 as "thug" aliens.....then they showed up in Enterprise as "though thug" aliens. But as they had no history, they fit right in the Enterprise timeline as when the popped up in the Next Generation it was not the First Time the race was Encountered and it changes nothing to say their planet is "close" to Earth and in the Core Federation Area.