Dragonball Z: History of Trunks

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Dragonball Z: History of Trunks

Post by Makeshift Python »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 am Heck my general advice is to just stop DBZ once Freeze is destroyed, the attempts to top Freeza as a villain made the show after that very ridiculous.
I felt this way about the Buu saga. After Cell is defeated and Goku dies, it seemed like the time to either take a new direction or just end it there. I actually enjoyed the initial shift towards making Gohan the main character and his Saiyaman shenanigans. It felt like a brand new show depicting the next chapter where we get to see the characters doing everyday life stuff without having to deal with "end of the world" stories. But then the show fell back right on that storyline, and that's where it started losing me. It was obvious the creator was looking for new angles to keep DB going but the publishers/readers seemed to just want more of the same.
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

"...Someone sure left the toilet seat up!"

Not gonna lie- I laughed hard at that.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Gohan should have been the main character. It would have made a wonderful moment in passing the torch. And given how light the characters are, compared to other media, I don't buy the argument it wasn't Gohan's nature. In some ways, that seemed to come out of nowhere when he fought Cell, since prior to that battle, he was shown getting very rageful when his friends were hurt or killed. So yes, you could absolutely make Son Gohan the main hero.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

It was Toriyama's intent to make Gohan the hero.

But then during writing he realized it didn't feel right. Gohan ISN'T a fighter. Yeah he has the bursts of rage and the crazy potential, but he never trained because he *liked* it or enjoyed fighting. ANd then during the peace times he slacked off and studied instead. Compared to Goku and Vegeta who looooove fighting and training and are always about that. Gohan didn't LIKE being angry, he didn't like being the berserker savior, at all.

I've written stories where the characters refused to do what the author was telling them, so I can see where Toriyama was coming from.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Well it could be worse. He could have reviewed Resurrection F movie or one of the Super Episodes.

Super especially since that show has skewed the hell out of many of the characters with Bulma and Vegeta being about the same. To me it seems like the writers accidently watched Dragon Ball Abridged instead of the real show for Goku's personality.
I got nothing to say here.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:43 am Well it could be worse. He could have reviewed Resurrection F movie or one of the Super Episodes.

Super especially since that show has skewed the hell out of many of the characters with Bulma and Vegeta being about the same. To me it seems like the writers accidently watched Dragon Ball Abridged instead of the real show for Goku's personality.
I totally dig the idea of FTL Bulma. :lol:

But yeah, imagine something like DBS Ep 12? That tore the shreds out of all the battleboards out there, and I think it'd confuse him even worse. "Wait, why is this guy going into space to fight this anorexic cat god? Now the universe is lighting up with shockwaves? Science does not work that way!"
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Lol, I dunno why we'd start here. The whole series barely makes sense as is. But it's worth all the jokes cracked at it. And it's not tooo far off, even if Chuck had somehow knew more about the series. ;)

Of course, one thing to note is that it is at its heart a comedy/action series with serious aspects to it, with Z having most of the edge in all of its 90s glory. The dub certainly didn't help matters. But being silly is part of it.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I wish everyone would start requesting dragonball episodes because this review was great.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Many baffling stuff to request from Dragon Ball, especially when packed with filler, like Krillin's ex-girlfriend showing up and having to be defended by a talking sea turtle that practices martial arts.

I had just finished DRAGON BALL KAI not too long ago and that went by like a breeze. Now that I look back at the original 291 episode run of DRAGON BALL Z, I can't even imagine trying to plow through that again. The worst was the entire saga set on Namek, which felt like an eternity when I watched it as a kid. I remember thinking how refreshing it was to see a blue sky background during the Trunks saga forward because I was sick to death of that wintergreen sky on Namek.
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Post by AndrewGPaul »

Every now and then on this forum, someone says “it’d be funny if Chuck reviewed...” and the names something that they want him to do because he’ll hate it or not get it. Well, congratulations. This video is what happens when one of those people with more money than sense puts their money where their mouth is. Fair play to Chuck - he still gets paid - but I’d rather get something like the Jaws video, or even one of the Voyager rants, where I can learn something new rather than just “what is this Japanese shit all about?”. I wouldn’t mind so much if it didn’t mean a worthwhile video was stuck behind this rubbish in the queue.