Picard - Remembrance

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mabus
Captain

Re: Picard - Remembrance

Post by Mabus »

Which Deadpool? The one from X-Men Origins: Wolverine or the one from Deadpool 1 and 2?
These timelines are so confusing.
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

I've never seen Picard, or Discovery, or any of the new movies.

I honestly don't even watch Chuck's reviews of Discovery and the like, I prefer just... not knowing anything about them. After watching his Picard review I think I'll stick with that habit. >__>
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Incidentally the music credit at the end is for "Sign of the Times."
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

For me personally this was a great start to Star Trek Picard, a good reintroduction to Picard and the TNG era, an interesting mystery with Dahj that quickly answers and raises more mystery, some great character moments for Picard, I really liked his line with Data "I don't want the game to end" in his dream, before the interview felt very real with Picard, Zhaban and Laris getting breakfast, talking about the interview while their Holo-Television plays in the background, and the classic Original Series music sting playing while the camera pans out to reveal the Borg Cube also showing it massive size was a great end to a very solid start to this series.

Also when I first saw Picard getting caught in the explosion, I knew SFDebris would have to make a "Not in the face" joke and I was not disappointed.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Another thing, you were right in the review, in Star Trek Countdown and Star Trek Online, Date was revived through B-4, he would them become a Captain and commander the Enterprise-E, in fact he would make a brief and heartfelt cameo in the mission "Survivor", obviously now that's not the case, but it is something else I appreciate about Star Trek Picard, the fact that the creators stuck to Data's death and weren't going to undo his sacrifice in Star Trek Nemesis even if he had the easiest way to come back, as much as I'd personally like to have seen Captain Data of the Enterprise, I have much more appreciation for keeping his death permanent, it gives his sacrifice more meaning and death having more consequences.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Link8909 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 pm Another thing, you were right in the review, in Star Trek Countdown and Star Trek Online, Date was revived through B-4, he would them become a Captain and commander the Enterprise-E, in fact he would make a brief and heartfelt cameo in the mission "Survivor", obviously now that's not the case, but it is something else I appreciate about Star Trek Picard, the fact that the creators stuck to Data's death and weren't going to undo his sacrifice in Star Trek Nemesis even if he had the easiest way to come back, as much as I'd personally like to have seen Captain Data of the Enterprise, I have much more appreciation for keeping his death permanent, it gives his sacrifice more meaning and death having more consequences.
I've got some thoughts on Data in Picard but I should probably wait until the relevant episodes have been reviewed.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

I'll admit I liked the opening to Picard. It wasn't perfect, not by a long shot, but I think it had potential. It was slower then say most openings for a Trek series but I didn't mind, its not about some young brash crew who are young dumb and full of complete disregard for authority or a seasoned older crew, its a retired old man who is forced back into the action. The mystery was good, the action what there was was decent, and I liked the human touches between Picard and his Romulan friends.

But I think it got worse and worse as it went along. The death of Dahj especially annoyed me as it had zero impact, they went for the Rei approach where they got a bunch of spares. If you are going to go through the trouble of fridging someone to motivate the protagonist don't ruin it by having a identical clone and a bunch of other identical clones save some for some reason look more like Data.

Like STD its got a good premise but like STD it seems to hate Trek with its approach. Doesn't learn anything from STD or even previous Trek shows, you would think they would have atleast learned from Enterprise about how some fans dislike non-Star Trek labeled Trek shows. Though atleast the theme song is better then Enterprises.

God I wish The Orville would return. My teenage self would hate me, far more excited for some knock-off Trek show from the creator of Family Guy then two or three actual Trek shows.
hypocratus
Redshirt

Post by hypocratus »

Okay, this is coming from someone that hasn't seen the series just some reviews. Picard resigns from Starfleet because they won't do anything about evacuating Romulus. This is after their main plan involving 10,000 starships is literally destroyed as well as the shipyards and the planet they were on. What was Picard expecting Starfleet to do? I'm assuming there was a bit of a time factor here. Maybe this is answered later?
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:09 pm
jadenova wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:57 pm Deadpool? That's the closet you can do to an X-Men joke?
You missed the "Picard's mind powers" part?
I guess I did.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

The start of the show wasn't exactly bad. But to me the show nosedived the moment the interview scene came. There was no build up to it, Picard seems to just all of the sudden decided to call some Federation ObnoXious News reporter and embarrass himself on TV on the 14th anniversary of another 9/11 no. 4, just so that he gets conveniently seen by Dahj on TV and later gets rejected by Admiral Sheer-Fucking-Hubris. It doesn't have any relevance later (it's just a blatant exposition dump), except for two mentions later with Raffi and Riker. Then the story just goes into a full quest mode, with a lame conclusion and shuttershock footage.
But what really felt irritating was the tone of the series. It's not dark, it's lethargic. The setting feels sterile, hopeless, the people feel like they don't want to be there and are just half-sleeping through life, the dialogue sometimes feels like it hasn't left the first draft. Patrick Stewart is playing Patrick Stewart. You don't feel any joy in anything that happens. The worldbuilding is sketchy and has more holes and stitches than an xB. I've gotten more enjoyment from The Expanse's most boring scenes than from Picard, and I didn't even start to love that show properly until near the end of the first season.
I feel that Picard could have done so much more, but instead it achieved little.
I also get the feeling that the actors in Picard weren't enjoying their roles and were just phoning in and waiting to cash in their paycheck.