Book: Jurassic Park

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

Book: Jurassic Park

Post by Jonathan101 »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/special/jurassicpark.php

Regarding the pronunciation of Genarro, Die Hard pronounced it the same way, for what it's worth.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Book: Jurassic Park

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well why is there two r's then?
Power laces... alright.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm Well why is there two r's then?
Cause that's how it's spelled.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I'm one of those people who never even knew the book existed. The film itself... hasn't aged well. Knowing what I know today about what dinosaurs actually looked like I cannot take it seriously, which is funny as Dr Grant actually notes that raptors in fact look like big ostriches right at the start if the film - but only apparently to scare that rude fat kid. The rest if the film plays them straight as mini-Godzillas.

Oh, and ''its a Unix system!'' Anyone else notice how many films and TV shows back in the '90s had to have some kid in it who could hack computers? And how often it always seemed to involve rapid and random tapping on a keyboard in front of some nonsense graphic?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

i never had a problem with the dinosaur not being accurate as it been implied certain liberties were taken cause they can never be certain on how dinosaur really look like. Which was why woo arguement with hamlin. We can then say the fact the raptor lack feathers or that they were bigger then actually species is nothing more then woo manipulation with there genes so they look like how people perceded they would look like.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I had heard that in the book the suggestion was made of only clone the Herbivores so things could be safer.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Marveryn wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:27 pm i never had a problem with the dinosaur not being accurate as it been implied certain liberties were taken cause they can never be certain on how dinosaur really look like. Which was why woo arguement with hamlin. We can then say the fact the raptor lack feathers or that they were bigger then actually species is nothing more then woo manipulation with there genes so they look like how people perceded they would look like.
Velociraptor weren't that big but the Utahraptor were. So it's either a case of the geneticists getting the name wrong because they weren't actually paleontologists or Hammod calling them Velociraptors cause he thought the name sounded cooler.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

MightyDavidson wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm Well why is there two r's then?
Cause that's how it's spelled.
That begs the question tho
Power laces... alright.
Laeril
Redshirt

Post by Laeril »

I read the book at age 10 or thereabouts (I was reading 5th grade level books in the 1st grade, so reading above my demographic was nothing new for me). I saw it on the family bookshelf and thought "Hey, the movie was scary but cool, the book must be even better!"

I don't remember much about the more preachy elements. The DNA stuff wasn't too hard to follow for me. The chaos theory made no sense whatsoever to me. But Dennis Nedry's death scene. It took a few reads for me to fully realize how graphic and horrifying it was. But once I did, hoo boy was that nightmare fuel!
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Laeril wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:05 pm I read the book at age 10 or thereabouts (I was reading 5th grade level books in the 1st grade, so reading above my demographic was nothing new for me). I saw it on the family bookshelf and thought "Hey, the movie was scary but cool, the book must be even better!"

I don't remember much about the more preachy elements. The DNA stuff wasn't too hard to follow for me. The chaos theory made no sense whatsoever to me. But Dennis Nedry's death scene. It took a few reads for me to fully realize how graphic and horrifying it was. But once I did, hoo boy was that nightmare fuel!
Reading up on Chaos Theory (i.e. briefly glancing at Wiki) I can safely say that this is not something that can ever be accurately explained in a novel about dinosaurs in an interesting way and CERTAINLY not on a film. I never understood the whole ''water is going in a different direction on my hand'' example either.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.