Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Link8909 »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:48 pm i don't mind new stuff i feel its just we haven't been getting good stuff, the problem is with the exception of the last one the movies they made were not great and were rehashes of wrath of khan. the discovery series was ok not get but the first season was ok, second season was weaker and there was a lot of stuff i think was poorly done. this im willing to give it a try i just hope its going to have as you said more characters stuff in it. the problem is that older star treks will be what they are their not changing but for newer shows they have to be more character driven and less episodic and that means we have to re examine how we do star trek, i actually liked how picard was done, the ending was weak and should have been better but overall i liked how it was going. so the question is now what. it think this is a we will have to see moment
I get what you mean, while I do like the new Star Trek series that are coming out, there is still room for improvement, and from the interviews I've seen the creators do listen to criticism and are willing to change and improve, Season 2 of Discovery and Strange New Worlds are proof of that, I'm against writing it off before these shows even get a chance, if The Next Generation was cancelled after Season 1 which even now is not considered the best start to any of the Star Trek series, we would have missed on all of the great episodes and even other shows like Deep Space Nine and Voyager.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Discovery will work a lot better if they just slow it down a bit.
..What mirror universe?
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

right and thats the issues slow down the story and make it more a cast work not about one person and thier family issues

plus im not going to write off discovery but it needs a lot of work the first season was ok but flawed the second had good idea but has some really bad writing in it and its ending was really really badly done, and im not liking what they added the little repair bots and the section 31 ships being basiclly drone armies and the blue filter those were major errors. but the story had positives and im hoping that we will get something better in season 3

also i think they need to ditch the disco uniforms and go to the ones they introduced for the enterprise -they look better
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:24 pm Discovery will work a lot better if they just slow it down a bit.
Definitely agree. Maybe if it wasn't limited to ten or so episodes per season. Obviously an increase won't happen.

Season 2 wasn't that bad. Season 1 had so much going on it was sometimes hard to keep track of what is going on.

They moved fast enough that it took me awhile to learn character names. And as I am writing this, I totally forgot their names except of course Michael and Saru.
I got nothing to say here.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Just learned their seasons plan and S1 for 8 episodes is not great, mainly due to 40 writers who have to make alternative plots if the season fails. However there is a hint they will make each season different realities with different character aspects; like a Klingon scientist named Qu'om who has a drinking problem due to his abusive childhood from his General dad. But possibly in S2 he's happy with being a punching bag for his lazy-agressive dad.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 amSeason 2 wasn't that bad. Season 1 had so much going on it was sometimes hard to keep track of what is going on.
Season 2 had distinctive episodes. That's how you have to structure these streaming series with extended movie plotlines. Season 1 mostly felt like a big plot for like 3-4 episodes at a time.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 am
McAvoy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 amSeason 2 wasn't that bad. Season 1 had so much going on it was sometimes hard to keep track of what is going on.
Season 2 had distinctive episodes. That's how you have to structure these streaming series with extended movie plotlines. Season 1 mostly felt like a big plot for like 3-4 episodes at a time.
Exactly. Discovery writers and producers should follow that example. Maybe make it less like how Michael is the center of the universe too.

Also, since they are in the future in season 3 don't make it depressing either that only the Discovery can solve. Maybe use of the Spore Drive can happen but with added future tech.

I am hoping they are not making thd future some dreadful place that no one wants.
I got nothing to say here.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 am Season 2 wasn't that bad. Season 1 had so much going on it was sometimes hard to keep track of what is going on.
Indeed, there was a lot of good ideas going on like the Spore Drive, but other elements weren't given enough attention like the relationship between Stamets and Dr. Hugh, and because of this Season 1 felt like it was all over the place.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 am Season 2 had distinctive episodes. That's how you have to structure these streaming series with extended movie plotlines. Season 1 mostly felt like a big plot for like 3-4 episodes at a time.
Indeed, while I do like serialized story, Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek Discovery was weird in how the series story was structured, personally I think Seasons 1-4 of New Doctor Who did a great job of how they structured their stories, with each episode being a stand alone with elements in the background that are apart of a series long arc that gets paid off in the finally.

And while I really liked the serialized story of Star Trek Picard which was handled a lot better than Star Trek Discovery, I think we can do with an episodic series, which I believe Star Trek Lower Decks is going to be.
McAvoy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:29 am Exactly. Discovery writers and producers should follow that example. Maybe make it less like how Michael is the center of the universe too.

Also, since they are in the future in season 3 don't make it depressing either that only the Discovery can solve. Maybe use of the Spore Drive can happen but with added future tech.

I am hoping they are not making thd future some dreadful place that no one wants.
Ok, this is going to be the most controversial thing I'm going to say, I really like Michael Burnham, I like that she's the adopted sister to Spock, she has a very interesting backstory, and Sonequa Martin-Green is a fantastic actress, however I do agree that she carries far to much of the story in Star Trek Discovery, so with a lot of her stories being resolved last season it will good for her to not take center stage all the time next season.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i think her being the mc is the problem while star trek does focus on some characters in episodes its never ONLY in modern trek -tng onwards, the original series it was kirk spock and mccoy, but way too much burnham. cut down the focus on her and let some of the other characters have their time, plus make michael wrong on occasion. Here is the thing take the episode in tng were the ships in a time loop, everything is predicated that they keep making the same choice that gets them stuck in a loop using the tractor beam to alter the other ships trajectory isn't enough to avoid a crash, but the person who suggests it is data, who is the royal smart person, the thing is that data realizes from the message 3 he sent himself from the previous loop that rikers idea is the better plan does it and saves them. thats what id like to see. data has no emotions so he thinks rationally about a problem but lets say this wasn't a problem needing a quick solution what if its burnham and someone else id like to see her consider an alternate point of view other than hers and come to a new understanding. One thing i don't like is this burnham being always right and thats a problem, because it makes her seem like she is never wrong ie a mary sue character. so making her reconsider her point of view and change it is a positive because it shows she is reasonable and willing to look at other points of view.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

This sentiment is extremely knee-jerk. i'm sure if you dig through the archives of the early to mid 2000s internet, you'll find plenty of calls to erase the prequels.